D110 won't accept sysex

Forum for D-50/550 and other D and U synthesizers from 1980-1990's
Tagg

D110 won't accept sysex

Post by Tagg »

Hello everybody,

and thanks to the creator of this great website. I'm a Roland user since the early 80s and I've owned a lot of stuff from this brand. I recently (re)bought a D110, I had one in the late 80s. The huge availability of synth sounds on the net is the reason why I decided to buy this machine again. I've never been good at programming, so I'm interested in building my own library of selected sounds, both paid and free.

To my disappoint, I wasn't able to load any of the many sysex files available out there, none. Here's the scenario:

- The battery has been replaced
- The D110 has been reinitialized to its factory settings (write/copy + enter + power up)
- Memory protect has been turned off
- Somewhere someone says it's better to have the unit set on "Patch" while transferring. I tried "Patch", "Timbre" etc. Nothing changes.
- The unit is directly connected to my Audio/MIDI interface (Motu 828MkIII)
- 5Pin MIDI cables have been used ("one way" or "handshake" connections lead to the same result)
- Don't blame it on the cables, tried several ones, same result
- Data transferring has been done using SysEx Librarian (.sysex files) or Cubase 9.5 (.mid files) both running on a Mac
- MIDI data reach into the D110, as the MIDI Message LED blinks throughout all the transferring process
- Some of the syx files I tried to load are meant for D10/D20, but I get the same result even with D110 dedicated files, so the problem must be elsewhere.

At the end of the process, I keep getting the same annoying factory presets.

Has anybody experienced the same problem? I did a one-week deep search on the net and asked colleagues about, but no luck.

Thanks to whoever will come up with some help.

T
kiskadar69

Re: D110 won't accept sysex

Post by kiskadar69 »

1. Have you used the Motu 828MkIII interface for SysEx dump to other devices?

2. Is the D-110 "SYSTEM / Exclu Unit" parameter set to 17?

3. Is the MIDI In of the D-110 working? Can you play music with the D-110?

4. Does the D-110 display any errors during bulk dump save/restore (e.g. "Exclusive Buffer Full", "Exclusive Data Checksum Error", "Handshake Mode Timeout Occured", "Dump TO MIDI Rejected")?

5. Test that the D-110 SysEx save/restore works with the proprietary data.
5.1. Make a minor change to the D-110 configuration, for example change a character in one of the names, then
5.2. Save the memory of the D-110 to the computer, then
5.3. Restore the original character of the name, then
5.4. Try to load the data saved on the computer into the D-110.

6. Download the "Roland D-110 Service Notes" document. Test the MIDI In and MIDI Out connectors of the D-110 as described in the "Roland D-110 Service Notes".

7. Check the firmware version as described in the "Roland D-110 Service Notes". The latest D-110 firmware that I know of is v1.13, the EPROM contents ("Roland D-110 (1.13).zip") can be downloaded from http://dbwbp.com/index.php/9-misc/37-synth-eprom-dumps