RME audio interfaces

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
2pii

RME audio interfaces

Post by 2pii »

Does anybody here have (or regularly use) any of the various audio interfaces manufactured by RME, such as the Multiface or the HDSP9652? If so, which one would you recommend and why?

I'm looking into maybe purchasing the latest addition to the range, the HDSP9632 PCI card. (Which, by the way, received quite a favourable review in the November issue of Sound on Sound.)

Aside from the fact that RME's products have consistently been praised by reviewers I'm inclined to believe, the reason they are currently my main choice is that their interfaces apparently have the best Linux support there is for a pro-grade device of this sort. Additionally, as far as I know, the Ardour harddisk recording software I use is written by the same people who also maintain the RME drivers for Linux, which ought to mean that the software runs as smoothly as possible on RME hardware.

I am, however, a bit confused with what exactly each different product offers in terms of connectivity. For example, do I have to purchase an expansion board in addition to the HDSP9632 if I need to record more than one analogue stereo source at once? And, on the other hand, what exactly justifies the significantly higher price of the Multiface and Digiface devices, compared to the HDSP cards?

Going the PCI route in general doesn't bother me that much, though, as I don't own a laptop, and will practically always use my Fantom-S88 while recording, so I'm pretty much stuck with my bedroom studio and desktop PC anyway.
Red Winger

Re: RME audio interfaces

Post by Red Winger »

Hey 2pii,

I've had people tell me that the audio quality (in a subjective sense) is better coming out of an RME Multiface than, for example, the MOTU 828mkII (although I'm sure that you'll get entirely opposite opinions on that one as well). I have read in various forum posts that the Multiface/Digiface have a superior sound to the HDS, but, do not have direct experience there. My understanding of the difference between the Multiface and Digiface is that it is primarily one of the variety of audio vs. digital inputs offered.

Other than that, afraid I can't be of much assistance to you. Hopefully others can.

Cheers,
RW

It is not how loud you make it, it is how you make it loud. Bob Katz
2pii

Re: RME audio interfaces

Post by 2pii »

Blimey!

I just browsed the developer mail archives of the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture project, and it appears that at least as recently as two months ago the the Linux support for these RME cards wasn't quite that stable after all. Obviously this requires some more research... Hopefully I didn't get my hopes up too soon.