Capturing Sound in the Field

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Phil B

Capturing Sound in the Field

Post by Phil B »

Anybody here have suggestions for a portable and cost effective field recorder and mic for capturing samples?

DAT is dead, in my opinion. Too expensive for portable models and all of the problems associated with tape.

Minidiscs are good in principal, but I've always held back because of the compression and Sony's blocking of the ability to upload files to a computer in the name of piracy protection.

The latest wave of HD players always seemed like a great option to the extent they were both compact and had some sort of mic level input. Unfortunately, I haven't really seen one on the market, until now...

http://www.iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=iHP-120

Anyone know anything about iRiver or this product specifically. I checked out their forums and people seem to like it (there is a lot of competitiveness between iPods and iRiver iHP-120s -- very similar to the FS/ES thang).

It has a mini-plug mic input. Anyone have any experience with these? Any inexpensive mic recommendations. I don't want to spend a lot on the mic at this point because I want to see how much I use it first.

The nice thing about a HD recorder is the multitude of things I could use it for: (1) listening to music like a regular ol' MP3 player, (2) recording sounds in the field, (3) using the built in mic to capture ideas played outside the computer, (4) using the line in to capture ideas quickly from a mixer output, and (5) since it's recognized as a hard drive, using it to transport files.

So, whatcha all think?
Lawrencew

Re: Capturing Sound in the Field

Post by Lawrencew »

Can't you take your FS with you?
Get a power invertor to run it from the car cigar lighter?
or some big batteries?

:-)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

LOL!!!
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

"Can't you take your FS with you?
Get a power invertor to run it from the car cigar lighter?"

Too expensive - I'd have to buy a car!!
Lawrencew

Post by Lawrencew »

Well I thought the rule here was use the FS for everything unless someone can come up with a really good reason why not.
Lawrencew

Post by Lawrencew »

"Too expensive - I'd have to buy a car!!"

Then put some wheels on the FS and ride it....
DarthNeo

Post by DarthNeo »

The Fostex MR-8 should be an inexpensive option. It has two mic inputs, can run on batteries, and has pretty good reviews. It will cost around $299, however a friend of mine just picked one up for $229 or so off of EBAY. We are going to start using it for some on location audio for a film they are working on. Will let you know how it pans out. Based off of the reviews and the cost and the fact that for the price, there aren't too many digital multitrackers that are that small with mic inputs I say it is a good buy. Will let you know after we start using it this weekend.

...I will find a way or make one...
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Thanks DarthNeo!! I'll check it out. Definitely let me know how it goes.
Lawrencew

Post by Lawrencew »

Further to the Fostex MR-8, what about some of the very small portastudios like the Korg PXR4, Tascam PocketStudio, or Zoom PS-04?

They are solid state, so less to go wrong in the field. They are engineered to record audio - so sound quality shouldn't be an issue
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

Phil,

I have an MR-8 and a couple of large diaphragm condensers. But if you take a quality dynamic or electret condenser, everything can be done on the Fostex batteries. It uses Compact Flash cards. Comes with a 128, and will take any size available. Very easy to use, good quality. I'm very happy with it for the money.
DarthNeo

Post by DarthNeo »

Thanks Phil, also Fostex announced last month that they are introducing a new FR-2 field recorder if you want to wait and check that out. I will definately let you know about the results I have with the MR-8 this weekend.

...I will find a way or make one...
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Thanks everyone - I took a look at everything and I think they are all "too much" for what I'm looking for in the sense that, first and foremost, I'm looking for something I could stick in my pocket. Also, I definitely would NOT be using it for any multitracking (sorry, when I said use it to capture ideas, I just meant capturing a stereo mix of whatever I'm playing so I don't "lose it" ... I know, I know, I could use Skip Back Sampling!!! I do!!!). While it would be great to have an XLR mic input with a solid preamp inside, I just don't think there is anything like that out there that fits my budget and size constraints. Did I mention the iRiver iHP-120 records wav files? That's another must - the ability to record with no compression. My main intention is to capture sounds to mangle in Reaktor, the FS, or in a soft sampler to use in my music.