HELP-my sustain is gone!

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Xcited

HELP-my sustain is gone!

Post by Xcited »

I have a Kurzweil PC88 (I got it 10 years ago) and recently I cannot get the sustain pedal to function. I put another sustain pedal on it and it also does not work. I would think this is an internal issue. The last time I turned the keyboard on I got a LOW BATTERY message. Could this be the offender? Would a low battery prevent the sustain pedal from working? I went on Kurzweil forum but I have yet to get a reply. Any help would be appreciated!

Xcited
SammyJames

Re: HELP-my sustain is gone!

Post by SammyJames »

Well, I worked on the PC 88 when I worked at Kurzweil. It sounds to me as though your sustain pedal won't work because there probably is something wrong with the internal components. However, I encourage you to replace the battery anyway.

I recall dimly that you can probably do this yourself. If you can't, because it may use a lithium battery that you need to have done by a service tech, then the problem is elementary.

I think that there is a chance that the problem IS the battery. The PC 88's memory will get blanked if the battery is low, and this could also erase settings that you may have made, such as modulation routings. The way in which this keyboard works means that you can assign the pedal jacks to do different things. So, you need to have the memory so that it can remember which settings you have made every time you power the unit off.

(The sustain pedal should be routed to CC 64, but again -- if the memory is shot, then it won't work, unless you go in every time to manually set the modulation routing. This will get really tiring of course, so again -- replace the battery if possible, and then set the switch pedal to CC 64, as I said above.)

Check the manual to read more about the Setup functions. There you can learn more about how to route the physical controllers to the different CC messages that this powerful MIDI controller is capable of.

- Sammy

"I don't suffer from insanity; I love every minute of it!"

http://www.sammyjames.com/music.htm
Sinclair

Re: HELP-my sustain is gone!

Post by Sinclair »

Hello dear member,

I have the same suatain pedal problem with my pc88. Did you find a solution in the meantime?

Thanks for your help and kind regards

Sinclair