Free Audio Software

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
mucsusn

Free Audio Software

Post by mucsusn »

FatBoyJim

Re: Free Audio Software

Post by FatBoyJim »

This is pretty cool! Where did you find out about this?

From the website:
I started the project in 1999 for my diploma thesis "Realtime DSP". The original name was Crystal Audio Engine, which was derived from the famous song "The Crystal Ship" by The Doors. There were in fact people trying to use the program and I received quite a lot requests until today. This lead me to continue working on it occasionally in my free time, after having it "on ice" for nearly two years. And here we are now, with a brand new version under a slightly different name.

This has got to be the nicest community on the net. Thanks, Artemio!
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

From the first page news releases on HC. I usually check them a few times a week. There are often good tidbits there. I used to do all of the purchasing for the military band that I was in, so I try to keep up with all types of gear.
gtds

Post by gtds »

...you know, the usual.... guitar strings, drumsticks, tuners, M16's, hand-grenades....

gtds
gtds

Post by gtds »

The Krystal software actually looks alright - I'm intrigued. I may give it a go.

Thanks for this, mucsusn.

gtds
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

No hand grenades, but one of our oboists was on the Naval Academy Pistol Team
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

This was raised in the Keyboard Corner forum as well. As someone there pointed out, note that this software is provided only for "personal, eduacational and non-commercial" use. In other words, if you use it to make music, you won't be able to use that music commercially absent other rights.

It's interesting, though. There are a lot of new sequencer programs popping up these days, from big companies as well as individual programmers like this guy. Tracktion is actually one of the most interesting new DAWs (IMO), just because it deviates from the standard "mixer board" format and puts so many controls in a single viewscreen. There's even speculation that Sony may do something a bit more ambitious (perhaps even take aim at Pro-Tools) now that it has acquired Sonic Foundry. Time will tell, I guess. At this point, though, I haven't seen anything that I think will give the big four any real difficulties, just because all of the many features (can you say "sample accurate") that are already ingrained in those DAWs.

Cheers,
RW

Just Chill....
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

Tracktion has received rave reviews from Computer Music. Based on price and performance. When I get a more powerful PC this year, I'm seriously considering giving it a shot.
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

I think you can actually get Traction bundled free along with the Mackie Spike, for those so inclined. Besides being cheaper than an MBox, I actually think that may make the Spike the better deal, as you aren't locked into the Digidesign hardware/plug-in path.

I think, especially for the price, Tracktion has a lot going for it. But, I'm not particularly interested in learning another sequencer right now, having just become comfortable with the ones I'm using. I'll be interested to hear what you think, Mucsusn, if you do try it out.

Cheers,
RW

Just Chill....
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

That's why I'm considering it. I don't own nor am I intimately familiar with any of the sequencing packages up to now. I will look into that Mackie Spike notion, though.