BOSE Cylindrical Radiator Loudspeaker

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
synthroid

BOSE Cylindrical Radiator Loudspeaker

Post by synthroid »

Dudes,

Is anyone hip to this new loudspeaker by Bose?

This is major, you need to read up on this if you haven't heard of this already. If you like knowing about next generation gear then this would be one to know about.
Bose is totally onto something here. This concept is really clever and so overdue. Lets face it, when was the last time you were actually pleased with your sound check on the bandstand and actually knew how you sounded to the audience? When............? If this is your experience then check out this link:

http://www.bose.com When you get there click on "Products For Musicians" and then read on.....

I want so badly for this to work...... can't wait to try it on the gig!
mucsusn

Re: BOSE Cylindrical Radiator Loudspeaker

Post by mucsusn »

When you say that you can't wait to try this on a gig, does that mean that you have purchase one, or have one on trail for a bit?

I demoed one at my local shop back in January, and it sounded good. It will be interesting to see real world evaluations as they develop.
synthroid

BOSE Cylindrical Radiator

Post by synthroid »

Haven't bought one yet. My brothers band up in Detroit is using the system - www.thebrothersgroove.com and I was a bit surprised to find that he (my bro) vouches for it. I say that knowing that he came (as did all of us) from a much different background. In fact he has always been a tweaker of the perfectionistic sort. He was always working on his sound and playing around with amps and pickups and different configurations for his guitar.

Apparently the claims BOSE makes are true. The dispersion and projection pattern of the speaker, the clairity, the small footprint, the partial elimination of the ubiquitus sound engineer, the natural onstage mixing, the fairly low cost in comparison to conventional system, the lack of distortion - apparently much of these issues have been solved by this new system.

Have they solved the problem of stereo keyboards into mono? Apparently not yet - but then it all depends on how you set it up and what patches you are using. And has anyone really solved this anyway?

Anyway, I'm excited about it. There are some deep ideas at work in this engineering that are attempting to return us back to the natural way acoustic instruments interact. There is a whitepaper available for download on the BOSE site that explains what the goal was in the development of the system. From my investigation so far - including listening to a single unit at Guitar Center in New Orleans, I am starting to be of the opinion that BOSE may have truly acheived their goal. Which is really fantastic news for all of us.

Ultimately, I'll probably end up selling my KC-500 and buy a single BOSE PAS and that will be my amp and my PA when I play out. In 98% of live situations I'll probably tell the sound engineer to take me out of the mains. Guys I am completely fed up with the intense ultra-directional nature of the typical amp/loudspeaker. To me it is a sound canon that most of the time misses when it fires. This Cylindrical Radiator is big step in the right direction - that direction being where amplified musicians are actually hearing each other and being able to interact realtime and know that exactly what they are hearing is what their audience is hearing. Thank you BOSE!!
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

I'm seriously thinking about the Bose myself. Although the KC-500 has been a great rolling cart.....
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

There have been a few threads on the KC that discussed this setup. You might find the following interesting:

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ulti ... 8;t=008993

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ulti ... 8;t=009518

Cheers,
RW

The pic says it all. Is it dark in here or is it just me?
Lawrencew

Post by Lawrencew »

except those urls dont work

Lawrence
Professor of Fantomology
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Yeah, I noticed that. Artemio's site is truncating the links, so I can't edit them to give you working links. Try going to the KC and do a search for "BOSE." That will give you the links you need.

KC is at http://www.keyboardmag.com
Click on "FORUM"

The pic says it all. Is it dark in here or is it just me?