Buying a mixer tomorrow, but...

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
scotttheencoder

Buying a mixer tomorrow, but...

Post by scotttheencoder »

I need a usb audio interface to go with it.
I'm on OSX and will be using logic audio 6.

I'm using the mixer to share my studio monitors with the mac and the fantom and to record/mix the fantom, a mic or 2, and a guitar or 2.

I was thinking about the mbox, but will be getting the digidesign FireWire rack+ Protools LE around the end of the year.

Can anyone reccommend a inexpensive USB interface that can handle the above? I have an iMic, but doubt that even with a mixer that it would be suitable. Is it possible that a mixer/usb audio device already exists?

Many, many thanks in advance.

BTW, 2 weeks now with my fantom-s 61 and I love it. :-D
Red Winger

Re: Buying a mixer tomorrow, but...

Post by Red Winger »

Hey Scott,

There's a bunch of options here. I can throw out a few that come to mind:

1. If you buy a separate mixer, it sounds like all you really need is a single-pair of stereo ins/outs over the USB (i.e., to connect the Fantom to Logic and Logic to your Monitors -- the mixer takes care of the Fantom-to-Monitor connections), right? If that's the case, Edirol (www.edirol.com) makes a couple very cheap USB audio-interfaces. They have a 16-bit S/PDIF connector (which is sucky, because the FS, like most pro devices, puts out 24-bit S/PDIF) as well as a 24-bit A/D-D/A device. You should also check out the M-Audio line (e.g., MobilePre) at www.m-audio.com. You can easily pick up a decent USB audio interface for $250 or much less, depending on what you want. For reference, check out musiciansfriend.com, audiomidi.com or risksmusic.com for pricing.

2. As to USB IF/Mixer options, I'm not sure if any of these devices can operate standalone (a lot of them get their power via the USB, so may not be standalone). You'd need more outs (and maybe ins) to combine the IF and mixer, though, and it may not be a wise investment, particularly if you are looking to pick up an 002rack later on. I would suggest picking up the mixer and a simple USB IF for now, as you will likely want the mixer even when you pick up the 002rack, as the rack does not operate stand-alone. Buying a combined USB IF/Mixer now would probably be a waste when you pick up the Digi002rack.

My two cents.

Cheers,
RW

The pic says it all. Is it dark in here or is it just me?
scotttheencoder

Coolness!

Thanks a lot! I'll take the separate option.

What a bunch of friendly folks here.
scotttheencoder

Coolness.

I got the M-Audio Mobile Pre USB and a Yamaha MG10/2.
That should be cool until I get the ProTools firewire rackmount later.

So far, everything seems pretty sweet.

Again, thanks for the help. :-D