Korg (M3) are leading in the updates stakes

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Korg (M3) are leading in the updates stakes

Post by Artemiy »

Hi Art why did this get moved?
Because 99% of this topic is devoted to discussing M3 exclusively. I understand your initial intentions, but the topic just went out of the forum scope, that's it.
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

WOW... This seems just as or if not bigger than what Roland did with the G over the X. Is this really Free for current users?
Absolutely, and not just for current M3 users, but anyone else who buys an M3. It's a free download.
Cheers,
Eric
manishkurup

Long time Roland user ...

Post by manishkurup »

... recently bought the M3 (Talk about timing ;)!). Mainly bought it for KARMA and other goodies.

This update is really amazing, it took care of the gripes I had with the M3, mainly the sequencer, and the lack of good brass and acoustic sounds.

Having a touch screen handy makes things very easy ... especially with moving notes, and things like that. Everything is DRAG-AND-DROP now ... correcting timing is so easy ... one has to use a STYLUS though. The other thing I love about the sequencer is the ability to DRAW CC (volume/expression/pan/cutoff/resonance) curves (automation) right there into the sequencer. I wasn't kidding when I said that I loved the update ... sounds have been beefed up, and there are other goodies as well. M3 KARMA software is around the corner, and is what Im waiting for ... (Costs money though ... but is well worth it).

The sound engine doesnt compare to my Fantom X's sound engine though ... Roland is probably light years ahead with their 4 element (stereo L+R) voice architecture, and the sounds that I can coax out of it are simply beyond description. Korg falls short in that department. Live usage is not as intuitive (IMHO) as my Fantom.

I have a maxxed out X, with SRX, and the sounds are simply out of this world.

I love my Roland, but have had a peek at the Korg world as well, there is always a Korg rep (Over and above Stephen Kay, who practically lives there ;)!!) around on the Forums ... Makes me feel good that Korg actualy listens to their customers. I own an AXON AX100 MKII (made by Terratec), and there's always a Terratec employee on the forums as well.

Now dont get me wrong, I simply love what Art has done for these forums, but it kind of makes me agree with Aster, if Roland was really interested in what would make the G a better product (it has mega-potential) they would be here on this forum interacting with the end-users ... gathering data on what they need to put into their next update etc. etc.

Kinda reminds me of the microsoft and IBM story ... IBM thought that people would buy their hardware forever, and that software (Microsoft) was un-important (I used to work for IBM, doing hardware design and firmware, great company, great hardware design ideas, but heads totally buried in the sand ... They've been reduced to a services company now (with the exception of the work they're doing on the blue-gene super-computer ;)!!). I've worked on the OS/2 Warp/Merlin kernel/drivers design, and always felt that it was elegant and virtually un-breakable. Windows kernel architecture, pales in comparison .... but look where Windows (and eventually MS) is now ;), and look how OS/2 has disappeared!!

Methinks Roland and their synths have great hardware and even greater potential, if they could see how important software is for their product ;)!!

Having said all that ... I still wait for the day, I can retire my X and swap it out with a G or it's successor ;)!!

;) Manish.
Nik_

Post by Nik_ »

I know this thread is old, but this has to be said:

DON'T EVER BUY ANYTHING BASED ON WHAT YOU HOPE IT WILL BE ABLE TO DO IN THE FUTURE!
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

Just got another Christmas present update from Korg USA for the M3 and M50. http://www.korg.com/service/downloadinfo.asp?DID=1494

Just downloaded and installed last night. Of course being designed by Korg USA's top dog, Jack Hotop, these Pro Vintage Keys sounds are simple awesome.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Nik says -
I know this thread is old, but this has to be said:

DON'T EVER BUY ANYTHING BASED ON WHAT YOU HOPE IT WILL BE ABLE TO DO IN THE FUTURE!
I personally know a few farmers and gardeners, not to mention stock brokers and real-estate investers who would not agree with that statement! =)

Happy New Year!
PiaKnowGuy
Watch a video of - Some Guitar Shredding Done entirely on the X8!

PiaKnow
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

This is the FOURTH free sample/sound expansion for the M3. Just keep in mind that these EXB-PCM libraries were to be sold initially, but seems that Korg wanted to improve sale numbers for the M3, so midway the changed their policy for the sake of their profit. Very smart thinking indeed. I hope the guys at Roland ware able to think that way too...
maximizer

Post by maximizer »

I think this wouldn't have happened if the economy is not in its current situation. The only good thing I can see from this kinda of economy is a longer shelf life of the products. More OSes will be released so products would become more mature in general, which is not bad.

I have a good feeling that Roland will come with OS update for the G. Hoping the same thing for Korg OASYS people. Imagine shelling > $6K hoping for the Open System and flexibility...
Baza

Post by Baza »

Come on Roland. Get with the program and put all previous SRX sounds for download only for G owners. This would be an innovative response to Korg. Its the silence that pisses people off.
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

Baza:
Come on Roland. Get with the program and put all previous SRX sounds for download only for G owners. This would be an innovative response to Korg. Its the silence that pisses people off.
Silence means that they're sleeping. Shhhh, you'll wake them up! :-P
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

Korg M3 just got another update - OS 2.03. These guys just don't sit back and forget about their customers. They listen and deliver.