A Keyboard amp of a Fantom?

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
dougdixon

A Keyboard amp of a Fantom?

Post by dougdixon »

Would anyone be able to advise me on a good amp to us with my fantomX and other keyboards. I've been using a Peavey KB100 for the last 10 years and have been happy with how it performes, but it is getting on a bit and to be frank it is a bit heavy and bulky. I was wanting to down size but working in a band need the output. I've got around £150 to spend and have seen some models on the internet and wondered what people thought of them. The models where:
Carlsbro Colt85
Laney AH100
Hartke KM60
If anyone are using one of these amps in this way please let me know what you think or if you have any other suggestions I would like to here them.
Deuce

Re: A Keyboard amp of a Fantom?

Post by Deuce »

Might be at or just above the top end of your price range, but I have a Roland KC-150 that I really like. Before that I was on a Peavey KB 300 (great sound but beyond bulkey, and I put it on wheels). The KC-150 is a 60 watt unit that has never left me wanting for volume with the bands I play in. Very solid build, and has enough inputs to handle both keys and still have room for input from my POD for guitar.

I'm not sure how well the lower priced (and smaller) KC-60 would do. It's 40 watts and a 10" speaker (the 150 has a 12"). I guess it depends on teh volume you need. I use my amp mostly as a reference - use the direct out to the board for most of the house volume, so a smaller amp works well.

I did look into the Behringer keyboard amps as well, but they seemed a little less solid, with cheaper knobs and switches. With playing 1-3 gigs a week, I needed something that would travel well and keep playing.

Hope this helps some. I really do think that the Rolands are worth spending a little more on.
dougdixon

Post by dougdixon »

Thanks for that, I did look at the Roland KC-60 but was put of with it only being 40 watts. I was very inpressed with the build quality, but been a yorkshire man don't like spending money to much. I did consider a behringer amp but a good friend who works in a music shop told me they have had lots of problems with brake downs ect.
I may take your advice and save for a little longer for a KC-150.
Thanks for you help,
Doug.
Cecil Pitmen

Post by Cecil Pitmen »

I've tried variuos amps but found to get the sound and bottom end i like i purchased a Biema 15" 3way 400w speaker and use either my small pa head with a Biema 400w stereo amp or a marshall head with a bit of tweaking the Marshall sounds awhsome. I know it might sound a bit big but i play in a very loud band and this cuts through. I also do a accouctic duo and the piano is heavenly with this setup
Anyway thats what works the best for me.
dougdixon

Post by dougdixon »

Cool, I use to use a Carlsbro Stingray PA with 2 12" speakers which worked ok but was a bit of a faf having to move three items around all the time. I have also look into the new compact PA systems now on the market including the Yamaha Passport 300. Due to working with a very loud drummer I dont think this wound have the power I need. Plus I realy only have the space in my car for one item. The Peavey only just fits. Thanks all the same, Doug.
IanR

Post by IanR »

I'm in similar dilemma looking for an amp for my juno-g.

The Berhinger looks good on paper - 90W should be enough, 12" speaker, etc...but I'd also heard they're not as good quality (in terms of build and sound) than the Roland.

I'm also worried though that the 60W of the KC150 might not cut it (you know what these guitarists are like when they put their Marshalls up to 11!!!!) and, as far as I can make out the next one up is the KC350 (120w) which is quite a bit more expensive.

My searches on the internet pretty much came up with the same list as you as alternatives...so if anyone does have any experiences of these it'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, IanR
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

From experience - the only gig I've played where I needed to turn my Roland KC-150 past half-way was in a club that had a fire code of about 650 people for the main room, with a band doing a Bon Jovi tribute show. I use an angled amp stand to keep the amp close to me, and then line out to the PA through a direct box. If you were squeezed between an "animal" drummer and a full stack Marshal playing balls-to-the-wall, I could see wanting more sound (though in-ear isolation monitor would be better for your aural health).

Really, the only call I see for the really big amps would be for gigs in big rooms (or outdoors) with no PA to plug you into. The other cool thing about keeping it a bit smaller is that it will be easier to buy a second one to go stereo with - a left and a right both lined out to the PA (If any of my bands ever go with stereo PA that is).
IanR

Post by IanR »

Thanks Deuce - that's helped a lot. The KC150 is probably going to be big enough for me as well then.
dougdixon

Post by dougdixon »

I'm now torn! I like the look and size of the Hartke KM60. Has anyone tried one of these amps??????
dougdixon

Post by dougdixon »

For anyone in the same possition, I have just found a system that work well.
I got a Yamaha EMX512 and a two Walfdale Titan 12 250watts speakers. The sound is fantastic. Very flexible and easy to use as monitors or as a full P.A system.
dcool

Post by dcool »

Have you tried with BOSE PAS (Personal Amplification System)? Believe what you hear!

D
dougdixon

Post by dougdixon »

Yes but for to much money. When I win the loto!!!!!!
dougdixon

Post by dougdixon »

Yes but for to much money. When I win the loto!!!!!!
Zylfrax791

Post by Zylfrax791 »

I have the KC-350 only because I wanted the extra inputs and the switchable headphone features, that said the 150 is plenty loud and maybe even the 60 for a small club...