Controller to supplement the Fantom X8

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Parsifal

Controller to supplement the Fantom X8

Post by Parsifal »

I experienced some problems about nuancing and other playing techniques (staccato, brass hits, one-finger piano glissandos etc.) using the weighted keys. I plan on getting a controller at gigs in order to trigger fast-paced interventions.
My views about such a controller would be: kinda lightweight (it's not that important, but since I already have to lug that FX8 monster...), must work out-of-the-box (without any software or other stuff involved), batteries-powered (I consider AC adaptors as unreliable and prone to electrical accidents on gigs) or AC Inlet, preferably 61 / 49 lightweight keys.
Can anyone recommend something having ideally all these (or at least some of them) and being reliable enough to get on gigs? Thank you in advance!
SammyJames

Re: Controller to supplement the Fantom X8

Post by SammyJames »

Check out the following products:

Korg NANO-series
Yamaha KX25
Novation ReMOTE SL Compact 25

EDIT -- my bad. I totally spaced it -- you have the X, not the G. No idea whether the X has any USB ports, although I believe that one of the three keyboards that I mentioned above has battery power.

- Sammy
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

The X has a USB to host port (the square hole you can also find on your printer :) ) not the USB stick port. The G has both. However I never tried to power up another keyboard through that USB port so I'll have to rely on your word about it. If you know how to do it, please tell me also about the right cable to connect the 2 keyboards.

P.S.: This is the cable type I use to connect my X to the PC :
http://www.thomann.de/gb/lindy_lindy_us ... a_b_5m.htm

LE: I've inadvertently stated before that X has a USB to device instead of USB to host. I edited the message.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Parsifal:

Yeah, well -- that is the problem here. The kind of USB port that could power the second keyboard would have to be the rectangular type, not the square type. (The square type would be on the back of the aux keyboard, and then you would connect it to the PC just like you do with the X).

Now, if you take a PC to gigs, then you can probably power both keyboards from one computer. If not, then you would definitely have to get a battery-powered keyboard. Like I said in my original message (which I edited) you must connect the second, auxilliary keyboard to the Fantom using a standard MIDI cable.

Here is a graphic illustrating the types of USB connectors that are availiable:

Notice that the "A" and "B" connectors at the top are configured accordingly:

The "A" port must be on the HOST
The "B" port must be on the CLIENT

So, in this case, you need to have a keyboard, or CLIENT, with a "B" port on the back of it. You need to then connect the other end of the cable to an "A" port on the computer, or HOST.

I hope that this helps.

- Sammy

P.S. I'm probably offering a lot of redundant information here. And although I hate to sound like a broken record, if you haven't thought to email Roland Tech Support to ask them whether such a connection is possible, I recommend it now. They will definitley get back to you, and they definitely have the answer. (If I had it, I'd share it here!) Go to RolandUS.com and either email them using their web form, or call them.

Take care.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Thanks a lot Sammy for your feedback. Well, even if you're right about some redundancy, I'm always glad for further clarification.
Haven't mailed Roland yet but I've got a mail from a European distributor (Thomann). I told them about the same thing and they recommended the Edirol PC-50. Here's the link:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/edirol_pc50.htm

What do you think? Should I go for it? Or there are better options? At first I was peeking at E-mu controllers but a friend of mine came to my home with the 25 keys variant and I've been horrified about the bugs and error messages I got from my fantom while connecting it with a midi cable.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Parsifal:

I like that Edirol controller a lot. If I had known about it prior to my picking up my Novation ReMOTE SL 61, I might have considered it instead. If it is in your price range, and if it isn't too big, then I would recommend it. (And you can't go wrong with Roland gear for Roland gear.)

It has battery power, is simple and straightforward, and the price looks good. Unless anyone else has any objections, I would go for it. As always, I'm only recommending this -- I haven't used it myself, and so I hope that you won't hold me responsible if it turns out to be a dud! But given your options and your needs, this looks like a good deal to me.

- Sammy

P.S. The E-mu XBoards are cheap and flimsy. I wouldn't touch any of them with a twenty-foot speaker-stand pole.