Today's equivalent of a walkman (portable casette player/rec

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Parsifal

Today's equivalent of a walkman (portable casette player/rec

Post by Parsifal »

Hi folks! I plan on getting a MP3 player or something... I'd want to get a device which is both portable and capable of easily and quickly rewind / fast forward. If there is some mark function that would be a dream. Last time I've had something like this was late 80's / early 90's - the "walkman era". However they were analog devices. I assume today's digital stuff is able to precisely jump to a desired tune / section / measure and probably loop-playing such a section comprising 2 or more measures. Does such thing really exist? What do you employ (and / or recommend)?

P.S. Links, please :)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Today's equivalent of a walkman (portable casette player

Post by Artemiy »

Get an iPod touch, there is nothing like this on the planet. Apart from being a music and video player, it's a little computer platform. There are lots of recording applications you can get under $10, many of them allowing to have 4 stereo audio track recordings via it's microphone or line input. There is also a BeatMaker which has 16 pads, sample editor, effects and sequencer. And lots and lots of other great stuff.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

Again, there is nothing on the market with such possibilities. I and my wife have two iPods and we love them. You can sketch musical ideas anywhere, in a park, in a bus, etc. Amazing.
Parsifal

Re: Today's equivalent of a walkman (portable casette player

Post by Parsifal »

Wow. It certainly looks impressive. Is it user-friendly enough? 'Cause I'm below-average in computer skills (last time I used a software sequencer it was called Cakewalk Express) ... I prefer applications embedded into hardware because they do what they're supposed to do... but I might get brave enough to test this too :)