Kurzweil K-Series discontinued

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Atziluth

Kurzweil K-Series discontinued

Post by Atziluth »

Hmm, it seems that the Kurzweil K series has been discontinued.

I think they are concentrating on PC series......
SammyJames

Re: Kurzweil K-Series discontinued

Post by SammyJames »

Yes -- their web site confirms that all K series products have been discontinued.

Kurzweil's engineers were algorithmically processing samples. We take it for granted today with all of the VST plug ins available that it's easy to do. But remember that in 1991, it was virtually unheard of. The K2000 was the first of its kind -- about five years before "VAST" got shortened to "VST" and the world changed forever.

I was there in 1995 when they were putting the K2500 together. I had a lot of fun working at their R&D facility. Those guys are some of the most brilliant and hard-working folks in the industry, and I got to know them profesionally and personally. They are great people to know and to work with.

I hope that the Kurzweil brand lives on. It is good to have competition. And although the products are manufactred in Asia, American ingeneuity is still very much alive in Waltham, Massachusetts.

Thank you for the news item.

Sammy James
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

If this is really the case, it's bad news for me personally. Kurzweil has been a real innovator and the K-series have been an industry standard for sophisticated, great-sounding instruments. And of course it's bad for the market, having one major workstation manufacturer leave the field. Really sad.
Atziluth

Post by Atziluth »

They are not leaving the field Kurzweil is still alive but they just dicontinued the K series.

Their new PC3X, PC3 and PC361 are taking the new part. So, don't worry.
robykeys82

Post by robykeys82 »

And from what I've listened on line, the PC series seems to be a great one!!!
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

As long they equip the next PC instruments with all the familiar K-series features, mainly more I/O options (an ADAT multichannel output would be great), plus sampling and audio recording, it's all right with me. Plus a bigger screen and other goodies to keep up with the big guys. I think I could invest on such an instrument in the future.