piano question

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
John Cagle Sr.

piano question

Post by John Cagle Sr. »

I'm a longtime(47 years) guitar player who bought his first keyboard(juno G) this past Christmas of 2009, and I love the keyboard, but because I was totally new to keys, I failed to understand the importance of having an 88 key keyboard. It has effected me more with octave bass runs than with anything else thus far. I have to run down as far as I can go and then come back to the top and start again (Hello Goodbye by The Beatles for instance). I really want to learn to play the piano as well as I can at starting at age 56. I think the Juno G will give me all the other instrument sounds that I may desire, but do they make an 88 key, juno G/fantom X or G size piano that sounds really good, and can be had for under a grand ($1000)? I almost never use anything other than the piano patches when I play, so just a piano will do. I just don't want to make a mistake, and not get a decent one. I've been playing music my whole life, so I know what a good sound is, and I'd rather save a little more money if needed, rather than buy something that I'd always say " I wish I had bought?????". I know you folks know what is available. I don't really care how vintage it is, or new it is as long as it is a nice sounding piano. If possible I'd like one that would fit on a 2 tier stand. Thanks so much guys.
John Sr.
Atziluth

Re: piano question

Post by Atziluth »

@ John Cagle Sr.

Hmm, try to get a Fantom S88 on ebay and the SRX-11 Complete Piano card.

If you are lucky you can have it (the Fantom) for under $ 1000.

Good luck
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

+1 that or...

might even recommend used FP4' FP7's as well if you can find them. They sounded decent for what they are...
emenelton

Post by emenelton »

kawai ep3 $1100
kawai es6 $1400
yamaha p155 $1199
Roland fp7 $1700

The Kawai has a livelier tone than the yamaha, both have very good action. The roland has a great 'ballsy' tone but shallow action.

I bought the es6.
John Cagle Sr.

Post by John Cagle Sr. »

Thanks very much guys. I'm going to research all the above suggestions, and I'll probably be back with a question or 2 again. Thanks.
John Sr.
John Cagle Sr.

Post by John Cagle Sr. »

emenelton,
where do you see the ES6 for $1400? The cheapest I can find it, even online is $1800. I went to Kawai's site and checked out the demo, and it sounds incredible. I would love to have that keyboard. Thanks.
John Sr.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

Oh, I thought we were only allowed to discuss Rolands...

Otherwise [deleted by secret Roland agent] :D
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

You are so right, Kenchan.

[Moved to Other Gear]
John Cagle Sr.

Post by John Cagle Sr. »

my apologies to all on the forum. It just slipped my mind, and no question is so important as to violate the rules or spirit of the rules of the forum. Again; my apologies to all.
John Sr.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

I still think an acoustic upright might be something to consider.

How's that for sacrilege!? ;)
John Cagle Sr.

Post by John Cagle Sr. »

dbijoux ,
That would be a great choice, but I have a space issue. The wife has granted me a studio room, and if possibe, I need to confine my equipment to there. I've got a Showman, Bandmaster, Marshall super lead, and a daw lining the walls now, and it limits me to a portable unit. Thanks for the suggestion.
John
emenelton

Post by emenelton »

John Cagle Sr. kraft

I played a roland v-piano and a roland fp7 side by side with a p155 and ep3