DR-880... MIDI question

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
gski

DR-880... MIDI question

Post by gski »

Hi there, I've had a go on the DR 880 in-store, and I can see that it's a very versatile machine which can be used in many different ways. I'm planning to buy one soon.

I just have one question which can't be answered via demonstration in the shop... I'd like to be able to transmit MIDI patterns - some of which I've made myself and others which I've downloaded - from cubase to the DR-880, and be able to scroll all through the different kits built into the 880 and hear the MIDI pattern played on these kits.

(I am quite new to MIDI: I understand the concepts behind it, but have not yet used it in all its applications)

So... I know that these MIDI patterns of mine are set on channel 10 and the various drum notes correspond to the relevant GM sound instruction, therefore they play back fine through my computer's built-in Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.

The Microsoft sounds are a bit basic of course, so what I'm wondering is: will the 880 intuitively recognise the notes of the MIDI pattern as the correct drum, and send out the sounds of whatever kit I choose??

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers -G

(P.S. I know that Roland also have the GS format and Yamaha the XG, but how do these differ to GM when sending a MIDI pattern to a device? Is it a whole new bunch of note-commands??)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: DR-880... MIDI question

Post by Artemiy »

The GM mapping on the 880 should be standard (it has always been standard on Roland drum machines, even on my TR-626 from 1987). Therefore it will play your patterns just fine.
gski

Re: DR-880... MIDI question

Post by gski »

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. That's put my mind to rest

-G