In-ear headphones

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Artemiy
Site Admin

In-ear headphones

Post by Artemiy »

Hey all!

I am looking for good in-ear headphones and I was wondering if someone could suggest a good pair in the $100-150 range. I will mainly be using them for on-the-go music making with my iPod, and I'd like something arleast remotely comparable to entry-level studio monitors like K241 or K271.

Any help will be welcome!
Shambler

Re: In-ear headphones

Post by Shambler »

That's alot of cash for in ear phones Art ( does a quick google search ) wow I didn't even know they did in ear phones that expensive! ^^

Would the IPod do an expensive set of phones justice?...I have no idea so it's over to someone who knows....
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I have tried a pair for $30 and they sound like total crap, at least the ones bundled with the iPod are like a million times better. Also, yes, the sound quality of the iPod is pretty high, at least in my K271's it sounds really great.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

No one wants to help the good old brother Artemio? :-(
Sprockett

Post by Sprockett »

I'm pretty happy with my Shure SCL4's, but they run about $250.00. The problem I have with in-ear phones is the frequency response changes so drastically with just a tiny movement in the ear, but I had some ear moulds made and now they are great.

Shure makes a couple of cheaper models (SCL2 and SCL3) for $100-150 so you might want to check out those as well.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Thanks for your suggestion! The local Shure folks are my friends and they recommended to check them out, so I will do.

However, yes, I did learn from those cheaper in-ear phones that they're like a speaker in a jar... Have you had a chance to try the ones from Apple?
Sprockett

Post by Sprockett »

I've never used the ones from Apple, but I did have a pair from Sony that ran arount the $30-40 mark. They were fine for listening to music on my MP3 player, but definitely not hi-fidelity and it was tough to get a good seal. I got the Shure phones mostly for in-ear monitoring on stage, and the moulds were made by my local audiologist. Now stage performances sound as good as recording sessions.

If I lost my Shures I'd buy them again, but if I only needed them for recreational listening I'd probably look at the SC2 or SC3. $250 is crazy expensive for earbuds.
ctimmerman

Post by ctimmerman »

I have a pair of Altec Lansing BackBeat Classic which I use for live playing through an Aviom peronal mixing system and have been very happy with them. They were $29.95 at Best Buy.

I was previously using a pair of Bose earbuds that cost 3 times as much, but found they had way too much bass.

http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?f ... at_classic

Carl
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Oh damn... Just looked at M-Audio IE-40 phones, and they go for $399 :-o
Anton

Post by Anton »

I used the Shure e2c on stage with the FG. Sounds good. Price is about 100 euro.
Don't know if those are still available.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

So, +1 for Shure, thanks for your suggestion, Anton. They seem to have a few models in the $100-120 range. Gotta ask what my dealer has available.