Thinking of getting an analogue synth, trying to decide whic

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Gil

Thinking of getting an analogue synth, trying to decide whic

Post by Gil »

Hi!

Right now I use solely my FG7 for gigs, I love it, I'm good at it and I can create just about any synth sound I like (thanks to Artemiy's Tweakbook).

However, recently I really feel an urge to create music with a "knobby" synth, I'm kinda tired of menus and paramaters and I feel like it bogs down my creativity. Plus, I'd like to enjoy some real warm analogue sounds.

I'm kinda torn between two instruments - a Moog Voyager RME and DSI Prophet 08 module. If anyone here has experience with these synths, I'd appreciate some answers to the following questions:

1. First of all, will I really hear and feel a big difference between these analogue sounds and my FG? or is the quality difference minute and am I wasting my money? (I can't really try them out for myself since I live in Israel and the importers don't have them on display).

2. I know the Moog is monophonic and the DSI can play up to 8 voices which is a plus, however I'll be using it mostly for synth bass and leads. Is the Moog better-sounding/more flexible than the DSI or are they on par in terms of sound quality?

Thanks!
Gil
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Thinking of getting an analogue synth, trying to decide

Post by Artemiy »

I listened for quite a few demos of the DSI products and to be frank they all left me cold. In the demos their instruments sound kind of blurred, lacking presence. I never had a feeling of "wow, I really want to have this synth". Maybe their presets on the demos are badly done though, but I never had a chance to play with one myself.

Moog, on the other hand, has a very notable charisma, lots of punch and presence. With the demos, I was sold and I would personally like to have one of their synths.

But do also note that there are a few folks which have less expensive and more quirky synths out there (quirky in a good way).

One of them is folks at AcidLab:
http://www.acidlab.de/
Gil

Post by Gil »

Thanks for the reply,

I actually thought the DSI Prophet 08 demos sounded fantastic, but I guess it's a matter of taste. Too bad I can't play them before making a decision.

As for the AcidLab synths, they look cool but there are no demos of leads played on them, which is most important to me.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Gil
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I think Moog would be the safest buy, unless you terribly need polyphony.
HiveHead

Post by HiveHead »

I had a Voyager Select and it was a fantastic synth. I had to sell though as i was not really using its potential and the wretched credit crunch plus a new baby meant i needed the £££££. I think its very much a players keyboard and very live orientated. Superb build quality. You can get the CV breakout box with it which makes it pretty much a modular synth. I am thinking of getting another........

In the mean time i have had experience of 3 other analogues - DSI Evolver, MFB Kraftzwerk and Doepfer Dark Energy. I did not get on with the MFB synth - the build was not good plus it was too small fiddly. The other two I really like - the DE is small BTW but its much more solid than the MFB. Love the DE - for the money its really nice - only i OSC tho.

Matthew
Nord72

Post by Nord72 »

What about a Moog Little Phatty Stage II ?
And You can expand it with a MOOG CP-251 and other external boxes.
It has an arpeggiator and midi via USB port.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I would love to buy the Little Phatty when I will have a possibility, and surely add the new MIDI MuRF on top of it.