Kurzweil PC3LE6

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Atziluth

Kurzweil PC3LE6

Post by Atziluth »

all the PC3x sounds but better handling so have a look at the Kurzweil PC3LE6.

Is comming in the end of this year.
Retail price at $ 1500.- maybe less in the stores.

Remembers me a bit of a Fantom X. :-)

I am looking forward to this.
Hugo

Re: Kurzweil PC3LE6

Post by Hugo »

It looks totally killer. This beast has an awesome and very deep synth engine, so I may very well consider one if I have the money next year.

Deepest synth in the world?
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

From the specs it says "Architecture: PC3 sound engine, complete with anti-aliased VA oscillators and KB3 Mode ". So it seems there's everything under the hood with only half polyphony. On the plus side there's a USB host and a "matrix control" on the left. It kinda puzzles me why they put a waterfall keybed (used especially on organs) and no drawbars, while the PC361 has drawbars (sliders) but also synth-like keys. Maybe we'll see another release sporting the correct features eventually.
Atziluth

Post by Atziluth »

@ Parsifal

It would be interesting to see if there would be some changes in the specs.
Maybe they won't do any sliders to reduce production costs, so there is space left for the matrix control. The matrix control isn't bad thing for fast navigating through the "menu" for direct access to the parameters.

@ cyclops

Yes, if there where sampling possibility with audio trax this would be nice hmm, I wonder if once Kurzweil will get this in their boards? Maybe the artist which are using Kurzweil reported as an not important thing. I mean there must be a reason. Or did they to have more competitive prices and skipped this feature and say that their internal sounds and sequencer are so powerful you don't need anything else??
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Hi all,

I am sure that most of you have read my rather lengthy posts on the PC3 series. I agree with the assertion many have made that sampling is essential on workstations. However, if you have sampling already covered in a FX, FG, or whatever, the PC3 I would argue is essential as well in terms of synthesis possibilities. Folks, I love the Fantom series, and if Roland will deliver on the ARX promise, then the G is complete in many ways. But let's face it, as powerful as the X, G, Motif, M3 are, none can come close to the PC3 series in pure synthesis. So, imagine the possibilities that, if you DO have sampling covered, you could ALSO sample the Kurzweil and from that base create patches that are virtually impossible with the big three. Kurzweil patches can be 32 layers deep - EACH layer having its own synthesis architecture. Now, imagine the sonic possibilities of such a sampled patch processed even further into your G or X for example, and I would argue, you pretty much good to go for AGES to come.

Yes, I am disappointed that Kurzweil did not offer sampling on this instrument. I think that the PC3 series could have been the COMPLETE package Since I am happy with the sampling on my X8, the lack of sampling on the PC3 was for me a non-issue. For me, it came down to adding either a G, M3, Motif XS, or PC3 to my rig. I feel that:

1. The G at this point is a step forward from the X, but, not enough to warrant the price to performance ratio of the X. Had ARX been showing its miracles, I WOULD have bought the G - no doubt about it because the promise of ARX is additional polyphony, more synthesis types, supposedly excellent acoustic instrument emulation, etc. But, it's not there - yet. I AM hoping that Roland WILL get cracking and offer some SERIOUS ARX cards. This vaunted technology could be a watershed! Roland, I say again: put the money from your sales of Juno G and Juno Stage BACK into ARX development!!

2. M3, like many of Korg's newest, is distilled from the dead, never reached its potential, obscenely overpriced OASYS. In terms of synthesis again, the PC3 series outpowers the OASYS and for 5 grand less out of the box. So, if the M3 is a distillation - which Korg does advertise, why would I go for the watered down M3 which in my opinion is not terribly impressive save for Korg's excellent record of updates and support.

3. Motif XS was a CLOSE one sonically. To my ears it sounds better in certain areas than the G - especially the pianos out of the box. The guitars are fairly evenly matched too. But, The XS is still a ROMpler, the synthesis architecture is essentially the same as the ES, and, unlike the G, there really isn't potential for more. Also, there is a GLUT of XS out there already. Yes, that speaks well of the XS, but, to me and my needs, it is like the Triton syndrome - everybody at the time seemed to have one flavour or another of it.

In one respect I DO think Kurzweil is making a nice marketing move to attract those that have never played a Kurz before. The price point though is a little off the mark: 500.00 USD difference gets you a full blown PC3x. I think the real incentive is to charge a MSRP of 1200.00 USD so that it can compete with Roland's new Junos. 1500.00 is just TOO close a price to the full monty.

Will Kurzweil ever become a keyboardist's household name like the big three? Probably not. But, their record for producing incredibly powerful instruments cannot be denied. The biggest guns out there use them like Paul McCartney, Elton John, Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd, Paul Shaffer, Pete Townsend, Jordan Rudess, and many more.

My Kurzweil dealer related a story that when Kurzweil unveiled this new instrument, Stevie Wonder was to do a 30 minute presentation. He ended up loving it so much he did a two hour demonstration. I don't know, but Stevie is a decent keyboardist ;) and such an endorsement isn't too shabby.

Last thought: if Kurzweil's NEXT instrument DOES include sampling and larger screen (to me the screen is a non-issue) PLUS the incredible synthesis engines, it COULD be that the big three better worry. We'll see.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Atziluth

Post by Atziluth »

@ Vlad_77

+1

I couldn't say this better and I agree completely with your post. These are exact my thoughts, too.

Looking forward for the Kurz to add it to my rig. :-)
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Atziluth,

Thanks for the kind words!

All I can say is that you will LOVE this beast, especially if you are into exploring uncharted territory. I will say this: be prepared for a steep learning curve. Even with the excellent online videos by Geoffrey Gee (hell of a player), you are still going to have to deal with climbing the mountain. The manual is a DENSE 400 pages long for the PC3 series (not sure how long it will be for the LE6). I got this thing in August of this year and I am just taking the first steps up on this musical Mt. Everest, but, already, the view is breathtaking. :)

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: Remember, there is also a BEAUTIFUL, FREE editor available for download at Kurzweil's site.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

I cannot download the owner's manual :(
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Parsifal,

Do you mean the manual for the PC3 series flagship, or the PC3LE6? Let me know. If you want the PC3 manual, I could send it to you as an attachment. I am guessing there would be a bit of a difference in the manuals since the LE6 is a sort of Juno G verion of the PC3, i.e., a bit stripped down.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

I was on Kurzweil's site last night looking at more tutorial videos on the PC3 series - the vids REALLY help BTW, and I saw that they had a nice piccy of the LE6. Now, in my long post earlier, I mentioned that the price point was a little dodgy in that for 500.00 USD difference, one could have a full blown PC3 instead of the LE6. Sooooo, I checked Sweetwater, and they will be selling it at 1295. THAT is a VERY good deal.

So, those of you wanting to step into the Kurzweil sea but are afraid of the 2 grand price of the full blown PC3, you now have a price intelligent way to make the wade in.
----

I also mentioned the fact that I think Roland is missing a golden opportunity in their snail's pace in moving with ARX. Kurzweil provides infinitely more synthesis power out of the box than the FanG at a REALLY nice price - and this LE6, while a cut down a bit version of its siblings, is STILL a more powerful synth. So, any thoughts as to why Roland is seemingly dragging its feet? I realise Roland is not terribly worried about little Kurzweil - who by the way are owned by Hyundai - but, what IF either the PC3 takes off or Kurzweil comes out with the little bit left it needs: PC3 power WITH sampling, even less steep learning curve, and just for Artemiy, a larger screen ;), what happens to ARX then? Or, what is the scenario if either Yamaha or Korg beat Roland to the punch and deliver what Roland has not with ARX? Seems to me that Yamaha is about due for something new. Korg is pushing the M3, a.k.a. attempt to get some money back from the less that powerful as promised OASYS, and the smaller companies like Dave Smith, etc, do not have the resources. I guess I am asking, do you folk think Roland is playing a risky game here?
Except for the added polyphony, the PC3 already out ARXes ARX. What will become of the FantomG if someone else snags the ARX idea and runs with it?

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Well thanks for the offer, Vlad, yeah, I want the PC3 manual (actually PC361 but I guess it's the same stuff). The price difference (PC361 vs PC3LE61) is that small I cannot see why someone would shy away and get the smaller sibling (other than lured by the pads + USB host + waterfall keybed). I guess it's a matter of taste above all.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

WHO ABOUT DOES KYRZWEIL CLAN???
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Artemiy, sorry for hijacking a Roland clan in order to gather natives from other tribes :) But we're already Roland users and - hopefully - at the same time Koorzwheel clan ones :D
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Parsifal, that was just a joke, the Other Gear forums would not exist if we did not welcome discussing gear from other manufacturers!
Atziluth

Post by Atziluth »

LOL

Yeah, the undeground movement Kuzweil clan, is moving forward these days.
Our master Blofeld Keyboard is giving soon his directives, hahahahhar.

The World is not enough!!! The world of sound will be ours. :-p

Not even Secret Roland Agent will know anything. Hahahaha!