Kurzweil PC3LE6

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Vlad_77

Re: Kurzweil PC3LE6

Post by Vlad_77 »

Parsifal,

Just let me know where you would like the digital copy of the pc3 manual sent my friend!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Artemiy, I was joking too :) there's a lot of :) and :D in my post too. But it's okay, I would have felt the need to express myself in a non-ambiguous manner too.
Vlad, try U_Thule@hotmail.com
cheungaryk

Post by cheungaryk »

the PC3LE6 sounds pretty good, with the USB host and drum pads, but it doesn't seem to have va-1 built-in? If that's the case, then maybe the regular PC3 is the better investment. I like the 76-key model anyways. :P
frank_

Post by frank_ »

hi,

pay attention:
the PC3LE6 has only 64 Voice Polyphony.
you can't design your own Vast Algorithms

So the PC3X or PC3 or PC361 would be better.

- frank
cheungaryk

Post by cheungaryk »

frank, I think it's clear that PC3 would be better, hence the cheaper price and the "LE" in LE. Because of what the LE intend to do, to target another group of customer who can't afford a PC3 or who doesn't want to buy one for the price, there's a compromise to give up something for the lower price. According to Dave Weiser from Sonikmatter, the LE has the exact same engine and sound as the PC3, but with less polyphony (and less FX?) He also said that it is an easier machine to operate, which is actually good for most people who can't program well (like me). So while your argument is correct (it better be!!!), it doesn't actually say much! It's like saying that triton classic is better than triton LE.

And, I did say I want a PC3 with 76 keys in my last post, but I will consider LE7 when it comes out if the price is appealing. :p
frank_

Post by frank_ »

hi cheungarzk,

yes, you are right.

but I did't want to say that PC3LE6 is not good.

I wanted only to say that the sound design is different.
Musicfan

Post by Musicfan »

Looks like the new Kurzweil is almost here. The one people have been waiting for. The PC3K. It has sampling and some other features.

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/NewsStory.php?id=21
cheungaryk

Post by cheungaryk »

Musicfan,

this is cool, however it doesn't do sampling itself, it merely loads samples from previous K series and maybe WAV/AIF files as well. And it's probably going to cost $1,000 more just for that feature.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

My current live line-up is a fully loaded Fantom X7 with 4 x SRX boards, a VP-550, a Korg Triton Extreme 76 and a Kurzweil PC88 for piano gigs. I am trying to convince myself to replace my Triton with a Fantom G7. The patch remain that Kurz keyboards has had for years is hugely important for live playing (which I am pleased to see the Fantom G now offers). Another major important feature for a Controller is the sliders (which the Fantom G now offers). But not being able to use my SRX boards in the G and the debatable abilities of the ARX boards has left me with a dilemma.
One big advantage of Kurz gear not mentioned so far is it is upwards compatible (ref PC3K) so there is minimal wheel re-inventing when new boards come out. This is probably why London's West End is full of Kurz keyboards.
I love Roland gear and have always had Roland boards since my Juno-60 and JX3P but I think it has to be the Kurz this time.

BTW - the Motif may have 8 sliders but you can only layer 4 voices in Performance mode! - sucks big-time! compared to Fantom X (16) and Fantom G (8)
lekanut

Post by lekanut »

hi guys,just one question to roland and kurzweil fans:

How do the kurz organs sounds(in the PC3,PC361,and LE) compared to my fantom X(with srx 07 of course..)

Is anybody have some advices about that?
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Check out the VR-700... wow!
lekanut

Post by lekanut »

yes tonyC...

I saw that!
But it's a 76....and i thougt about the PC361 because of price,weight....
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

You are right of course. Prices I am seeing for the VR-700 are ~£1500 and it weighs in at 16kg/35 lbs so it is no lightweight but if it saves the extra keyboard... and I love real drawbars.
The Kurz KB3 emulation is very good organ-wise and is of course a proper synth as well. On the PC3 family the sliders act as drawbars so the 361 is probably a runner for you but note the LE does not have sliders.
I do not have an SRX-07 so I cannot comment. For organs I preferred my Triton to my Fantom X so I have never really used the Fantom for its organ sounds.
I guess it depends on how much of an organ purist you are. Some of the Nord stuff sounds pretty impressive too.
Then it comes down to how deep your pockets are and whether you can afford a roadie!

Have fun!
lekanut

Post by lekanut »

ok..thanks for your answer tony...
I'm studying the nord keyboards too...