What is the best softsynth to get?

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Henry

What is the best softsynth to get?

Post by Henry »

I'm thinking about getting a softsynth. I'd probably use my F-S61 as a controller, or buy a cheap MIDI controller.

For house/disco music, what softsynth would you recommend? And I guess they already come with samples included in the softsynth?

Also, my stuff has a lot of variety, so I'll need the other usual sounds -- orchestras, strings, brass, etc.

Any suggestions?
MIDIguru

Re: What is the best softsynth to get?

Post by MIDIguru »

If you want instant gratification go with Reason. It is loaded with useful things and is like getting $20K in rack gear for $279.

If you want to tweak and make everything from scratch get Reaktor. Reaktor is twice the price, but offers in my opinion better quality sounds and way more variety. It's not really setup for musicians, it's more for people who know how to program software.
I use it for effects plugins more than anything else, although it does have some fantastic step sequencers and analog style drum machines that I like a lot.

It seems to me from your post that you would prefer Reason...
niall01

Post by niall01 »

"NI pro 53" has some really nice seventies style leads.
also Novation v station is suite nice too.
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

I would recommend that you try out some of the freeware out there, plus grab any demos that you can. Computer Music, a magazine from the UK, has some very solid free offerings on their monthly disc. This will allow you to find some GUI styles and synthesis combinations that may appeal to you.

This is how I always recommend beginning with software. Keep you money in your wallet until YOU know more about what you want.
niall01

Post by niall01 »

also check
http://www.kvr-vst.com/ and its fourms.
good reviews and stuff
MuzikB

Post by MuzikB »

The Korg Legacy Collection.

I'm also into House music and find myself using the PolySix very often. Besides, in the KLC you get 3 softsynths, a combined mode, and a MS20 controller for $500 bucks. You can't beat that.

Current Synth Kit List: (Provided to help with questions)
Roland Fantom X6
Roland V-Synth
Access Virus C
Clavia Nord Lead 2X
Viscount/Oberheim OB12
Novation D-Station
Korg Legacy Collection
jsepeta

best softsynth

Post by jsepeta »

1) Reaktor gives you the most variety. If you like to tinker and think you'd like a Lego-style construction kit for synthesis, Reaktor is your tool. Or if you'd rather spend less dough and just rely on instruments others have built, you can go with Reaktor Session. There are several thousand Reaktor instruments available for download.

2) Pro53, FM7, and Absynth have brought the most instant gratification in my home studio. I always wanted a Prophet 5, and Pro53 fits the bill nicely. FM7 makes the DX7 architecture not such a pain in the arse. But Absynth blows them all away by giving Korg Triton-style textures in a softsynth. Also all 3 of these can be played stand-alone, without use of a sequencer, which is nice for going live or just focusing on playing/making sounds.

3) Don't forget the freebies you get when you purchase Computer Music magazine, which comes with a CD and several softsynths, including a couple of samplers. Reason may be better-known because it's a whole "environment" for synthesis and sampling and sequencing; but if you're planning to work in your own sequencer (logic, cubase, sonar, dp) then you won't need the confinements of the Reason environment (unless you like working with rewire).

Oh, don't plan on using just one softsynth. They're like M&M's -- you can't eat just one.

I've got a guide to softsynths on my website, but the KVR site admittedly has way more info.

---
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Check out my site: www.lo-res.com
vintage synth rescue kits, logic screen shots, and more!