Kurzweil K1000 power cord problem

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
cheungaryk

Kurzweil K1000 power cord problem

Post by cheungaryk »

Hi all,

this question is for the owners of K1000, or anybody who is familiar with kurzweil synths.

So I purchased an used kurzweil K1000 today, but it didn't come with a power cord (3 prong just like a normal computer ones). I have tried using a standard PC cord, and a power cord for a v-synth gt, and they both were unable to power up the synth FULLY (the texts of the lcd screen show up partially, and no sound comes out).

the seller said that he used a plasma TV power cord, I was wondering if it really takes something like that to power up the synth, or could it be a problem within the synth itself?

Thanks in advance!
Sprockett

Re: Kurzweil K1000 power cord problem

Post by Sprockett »

All three prong computer style power cables are pretty much the same, just three conductors in an insulated sheath. They are rated for a maximum wattage (might be printed on the outside of the cable) and exceeding that would cause the cable to overheat and eventually burn up. Specs on the K1000 say 40 watts, so this shouldn't be your problem.

There were Kurzweils with 240 v / 50 Hz power supply options installed for Europe and such, have you checked that? They also made switchable power supplies later so it might say both 120 and 240 volt on the back near the power jack. There was a physical switch that needed to be set for the proper voltage, and it should be set for 120 volts.

If that all checks out you probably have a bad synth.
cheungaryk

Post by cheungaryk »

Hi Sprockett,

thanks for the response! I used a cord that normally powers up a flat screen TV, and it works with the keyboard. It's probably a matter of voltage, but again, I am not an electronic savvy guy so I will just stick with whichever that works.
Sprockett

Post by Sprockett »

Hey, as long as it's working and there's no smoke or fire it's all good, right? Glad you could bring it back to life.