First speaker upgrade ideas

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
garytragic

First speaker upgrade ideas

Post by garytragic »

Hi,

I have been using creative 2.1 speakers for a few years now and would really like to upgrade to some decent budget studio monitors. Could anyone recommend some for roughly £100?

I have never used monitor speakers before but am hoping for a fuller, clearer sound. Is it possible with this budget?

Hope you can help.

Gary
Sprockett

Re: First speaker upgrade ideas

Post by Sprockett »

M-Audio has some in their Studiophile series that fit in your price range, and KRK Rockit Powered 5's are pretty nice. I've never owned either of them but I've heard the KRK's and was pretty impressed, and a lot of people say good things about the M-Audio stuff. Just remember that near field reference monitors come with or without amps, so if you buy passive speakers you also need to buy an amp. My preference has always been active monitors (with the amp built in) because it saves some space, but that's just a matter of taste.
garytragic

Post by garytragic »

Hey Sprockett, many thanks for your advice, I shall investigate into your suggested speakers.

Thanks again.

gary
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Well, anything will probably be better than what you have.

However, it's difficult to find a relatively accurate reference monitor for twice that price. You could literally spend as much or more than many can even conceive to achieve those ends.

Alesis, Samson, Fostex are a few others with budget monitors. Roland too! Also, you might want to see if you can find some used Tapco S8's.

I'd actually suggest saving more if at all possible.

One other thing you might be unhappy about is your loss of that subwoofer. It's for the better, but smaller monitors are notoriously bass light. Subwoofers are a nightmare for accurate monitoring in a 'normal' room.

Good luck, research, and go listen to your favorite music on some.
garytragic

Post by garytragic »

Hey DBijoux, really appreciate your suggestions.

I am willing to spend more to get a good set. Is there a minimum size speaker cone you'd recommend? as I don't want to be lacking in the bass. Doesn't have to be world class but just a good solid overall sound for an amateur studio set-up.

Gary
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

No problem mate, hope it helps some.

On the bass note, a lot of the low end response will depend on your room and placement. I wouldn't say there is a minimum; well 3" woofers obviously won't thump. I would say don't expect subwoofer bass from any nearfield monitor - it's not going to happen. Clarity and predictable bass is more important.

Keep in mind, monitors are meant to be a tool for production. Your home hi-fi system is likely more enjoyable for bass.

All in all, I think you'll be amazed at the difference. It may take a little getting used to, but that's part of the adventure. I just don't like to suggest buying the cheapest, since you may have a hard time selling them.

Enjoy!