Yamaha DX-7
Emulator 2
ozy

Re: What synthesizers do you own?

Post by ozy »

Is this thread still alive?

In this case, being a newcomer, here's my setup:

bottom keyboard: kurz pc3k8 + matrix1000 (4x) + yamaha vl70 (5x) + prophet08

top/utility keyboard: gem s3 (master) driving yamaha vl70, doepfer a100, oberheim sem, AS Spawn, emu e5000 ultra, roland vp9000, korg dvp1 vocoder

solo keyboard 1: yamaha vl1+novation basstation rack

solo keyboard 2: prophet08, sharing modules with the "utility" keyboard

sequencer (studio only): korg M3M
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

ozy,

How do you find the PC3K8 for live use?
I've got a new project on the horizon, and I'm thinking about switching the X7 for an XR for the studio and getting a PC3K8 for live use, so I'd appreciate any feedack.
Cheers
Andy
ozy

Post by ozy »

Andy Keys wrote:How do you find the PC3K8 for live use? Andy
it depends what you mean wih "live use". I'll tell you what MY use is:

I bought the pc3k8 in order to replace: a oberheim mc2000 master, a patchbay, and a roland xv5080 module overstuffed with rhodes samples and expansions.

Then , for me it is:

a) 55% a masterkeyboard.

Vote: excelent. A Killer. The best

Best master I ever owned (considering keys+ease of use + features +controllers. Not the most realistic piano keys in the universe, etc, but by far the best COMBINATION of features).

I do ethnic winds using breath and ribbon, e-pianos, use the sliders, partitio the keyboard in three or 4 zones on the fly.

b) 35% as a rhodes emulation:

vote = very good

I use distorted, whawha-ed, phased and flanged rhodeses, and it's good. Punchy, barking, nice bottom end. plenty of high frequencies to feed the effects.

Let's say its rhodes are worth 25% less that the kronos' (the best I have heard recently), but at a far lower price and with the added value of master functions.

c) 10% as a generic synth: some pad, a couple of ethnic sounds, one hammond drone, some samples of older synths.

Vote = hu, nice. Shows its age. Brass and winds are... their generation.

You may see that I don't use its VA, I still carry around real analogues, and use very little its orchestrals.

So, my "excelent" vote is based on MY priorities: 1) controller, 2) master, 3) rhodes, 4) legacy rompler samples (e.g., I am trying to discard a korg t3 but I want two or three of its signature sounds)

Your priorities may be different though.

EG: I know a guy who transformed his pc3k in a "flagship VA" with mega-oscillators, allocating all its buttons and sliders to analogue emulation. I didn't even try repalcing real analogue with it, so... I can't help you there.

OR: people who play full orchestral backings on it. Here, again, I am not competent.

Oh, finally: FWIW: classy, classy, classy look.

No bells and whistles and fancy lights and TV-screen featuring Wyle Coyote cartoons. Just metal, wood, understated but slightly menacing look, suggesting a quiet force. I like it.

I love looking like a weary old cat (which I am) playing a trusted and solid keyboard, rather than a geek showcasing an Apple product his mommy just bought him.

This is subjective as well.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Thanks ozy, this is really useful. You’ve covered many of the things I’ve been considering. The master control functions are one of my prime concerns. Splits and layers, as well as the ability to control sound (layer) levels with the sliders (avoiding a separate outboard mixer). I’ve been using a Nord Stage for Hammonds and Rhodes, and will continue to do so. Currently, I use the Fantom X for everything else. I think I need to find a seller with them in stock and go and have a play for a couple of hours. I've downloaded the manual for a read-through, too. Thanks again.
ozy

Post by ozy »

1) testing the instrument is a must. It has ITS sound. You gotta like it.

2) the Kurz manual is a bitch (ok, not exactly a good way of enticing you into an instrument, but that's the truth). It's made like a phonebook. Forget about getting the LOGIC from it.

For really understanding the synth, people generally use the guides and tutorials published by Cunka

http://www.cunka.com/forum/index.php?board=13.0

try browsing that forum, there are some freebies available, then plan spending 50 bucks for their guides/tutorials once you've bought the synth.

I had never used a Kurz (after a k1000... >20 years ago), and learnt that way in a few weeks (days/hours for the master part, weeks for tweaking sounds. As for programming fron scratch, I am not there yet)
ScoobyDoo555

Post by ScoobyDoo555 »

Thought I'd add to this :)

Running the following:-

Roland A80 and Yamaha KX88
Roland V-SynthXT, XP30, Yamaha SY77, DX7s, Kurz K2000 (fully loaded), Korg Kronos (a fully working one :D ), Korg Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Akai S3000xl, TR626.

My "live" rig comprises of Kronos, XP30 and S3000 (with alesis ion brain and trigger for the drummer) - I self-monitor using the new Behringer P16I&m (great bit of kit) and some ACS T1 IEMs.

The studio computer is around Logic Studio 9, and a load of plugins - too many to list to be honest.

Dan :)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

My updated list April 2012

**HardSynths**:
- Roland RS-70 ["bread and butter" sounds, specially: Basses, Drums, Pianos, Strings, PADs]
- V-Synth XT --> this is my main synth, in both V-synth and D50 modes [Solo and Poly Synths, Arp sounds, pulsating, Motion, Pianos (yes...that too)].
**SoftSynths (The most used)**
- NI's - AbSynth4, Massive and Pro-53
- Cakewalk's - Rapture LE
- iPAD: Korg iMS-20, Sunrizer, Garageband Instruments, Music Studio, S4-IComposer and Animoog

Previously owned:
- Fantom Xa - Expanded with XV Patches + Planet X, V, F, R, A + Nylon [Drums, Pianos, guitars, strings, PADs, basses, organs, Synths]
- SonicCell - Expanded with XV Patches + Planets X, F [guitars, strings, Pads, Pianos, Synths]
- DR-880 - Drums/Basses
Attachments
IMG_1576_1.jpg
IMG_1576_1.jpg (118.95 KiB) Viewed 4633 times
IMG_1577_1.jpg
IMG_1577_1.jpg (102.43 KiB) Viewed 4633 times
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

I know...this is jumping onto this thread kind of late but I just had to give PiaKnowguy a run with all of those expansions! So here goes...the Soundworld lineup:

Roland
MC-80 Micro Composer
SC-88
D-70
-PN-D70-01 (Global Collection)
-PN-D70-02 (Special Collection Patches for SN-SPLA-01)
-SL-D70-01 (Sound Library Set Vol. 1)
-SN-SPLA-01 (SOUND ELEMENT VOL.1)
JD-990 (3)

990 #1: SR-JV80-04 (Vintage Synth)
990 #2: SR-JV80-04 (Vintage Synth)
990 #3: (No Exp)
-SL-JD80-01 (Standard)
-SL-JD80-02 (Dance)
-SL-JD80-03 (Rock Drums)
-SL-JD80-04 (Strings Ensemble)
-SL-JD80-07 (Guitar Collection)
-JD9D-1 (Modern Masters)
-JD9D-2 (Modern Sonics)
-JD9D-3 (Oz Perspective)
JV-1080
-SR-JV80-09 (Session)
-SR-JV80-07 (Super Sound Set)
-SR-JV80-05 (World)
-SR-JV80-15 (SFX)
JV-2080
-SR-JV80-14 (Asia)
-SR-JV80-15 (SFX)
-SR-JV80-10 (BS&DR)
-SR-JV80-07 (Super Sound Set)
-SR-JV80-09 (Session)
-SR-JV80-05 (World)
-SR-JV80-02 (Orchestral)
-SR-JV80-01 (Pop)
XV-5080
-SR-JV80-14 (Asia)
-SR-JV80-13 (Vocal Collection)
-SR-JV80-02 (Orchestral)
-SR-JV80-16 (Orchestral II)
-SRX-04 (Symphonique Strings)
-SRX-03 (Studio SRX)
-SRX-09 (World Collection)
-SRX-06 (Complete Orchestra)
FANTOM XR
-SRX-09 (World Collection)
-SRX-01 (Dynamic Drums)
V-Synth XT v2
-with a cast of thousands (of patches!)
V-Synth GT v2
-Ditto!
VP-9000
VP-Z-01 (Solo Voice-Gospel)
VP-Z-02 (Solo Voice-World)
VP-Z-03 (Solo Voice-Pop & Rock)
VP-Z-05 (Solo Instruments-Sax)
VP-Z-06 (Solo Instruments-Trumpet & Trombone)
VP-Z-08 (Solo Voice-Opera Singers)
Jupiter-80
-Stocked with the best of the V1 and V2 Registrations/Live Sets
(and some Soundworld edits of course!)

Other Gear
• Korg 01R/W
• Korg Wavestation SR
• Korg Triton-Rack
• Korg OASYS 76 # 397
• Kurzweil K2000RS
• E-mu Proteus 3 World
louparte

Post by louparte »

Roland RS-9, RS-50 & Sonic Cell

Korg M3m, Triton Le & iMS-20 (on ipad)

Yamaha MU90R & MU 100

Kawai K-1 (the legend!)
alpha_C

Post by alpha_C »

Yamaha Motif XS6
Roland Integra 7 soon...
MartyM

Post by MartyM »

I'm a bit late to this party but here goes :

Using live : Triton Extreme / Triton LE / Roland Gaia / Virus Ti2 / Macbook Pro quad i7 with Logic studio
and RME FF 400.
for small local gigs : Juno Stage

Hardware
Studio : JP80 / Trinity plus 61 / Virus Ti2 61 /DSI Tetra & Mopho (prophetV) Doepfer Dark Energy
Korg Legacy with controller / JV2080 & Session/DnB/Vintage synth/HipHop boards
Korg Wavestation SR / Korg TR Rack / Oberheim Matrix 1000 / Novation Nova desktop / Waldorf Pulse
Waldorf Blofeld desktop/ Korg mini DAW Controller.
Moogerfooger Filter/Freq box/

Software:
Korg Legacy / Ni Komplete Ultimate / Tone2 Gladiator & ElectraX / Arturia complete V3 / Pianoteq
IK Sampletank XL / UVI Workstation - various packs / Spectrasonics Trillian/RMX/Omnisphere.

Used to own : ( I know, if only I had known what would happen to analog )

Yamaha CS10/DX7/DX7II/TX81Z/RX5
Korg Trident/ M1/T3/Triton Rack
Roland Juno 60/ RD300 / JV1080
SCI ProphetV (non MIDI)
Casio CZ101/CZ1000
Moog Prodigy/MultiMoog
curtisdog

Post by curtisdog »

Hi I currently own a Roland Fantom x6 w/ srx-03,Korg Kronos 61 w/ventilator,Korg krome 88 ,Yamaha Motif XF6 and Nord Electro 4D. They all have their strong points but they're all so much better than hauling around A real b3 w/leslies, Rhodes.wurlitzer,clavinet and all the other keyboards I at one time owned . Technology is great enjoy it. The constant maintenance on leslies,rhodes and wurlitzer tuning.clavinet constant tuning,yamaha portable grand the sheer weight and tuning and the weight of a b3 with dollies but other than that the old stuff was great.When the u110 and u20 came out my world just got so much simpler
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

My updated list Feb 2013

**HardSynths**:
- Roland Integra-7 ["bread and butter" sounds - Basses, Drums, Pianos, Strings, PADs, you name it :-)]
- V-Synth XT --> used in both V-synth and D50 modes [Solo and Poly Synths, Arp sounds, pulsating, Motion, Drum grooves, Pianos (yes...that too)].
- Boss DR-3 [basic Drum lines]

**SoftSynths (The most used)**
- iPAD: Alchemy, Sunrizer, Garageband Instruments, Animoog
- NI's - AbSynth4, FM-8, Massive and Pro-53

**MIDI Controllers**
- Cakewalk A800-PRO (2 MIDI Channels)--> Main MIDI Controller [mainly to drive Integra's sounds and its parameter variations]
- Edirol PCR-500 (2 MIDI channels)--> 2nd MIDI Controller [mainly to drive V-Synth and D-50 (VC-1) solo Parts]
- Roland RS-70 Synth (1 MIDI channel)--> [now just used as a 3rd MIDI Controller, to complement the other two to allow two more parts (in Zone mode) to be played simultaneously]
motic

Post by motic »

A picture says more than 1k words...
Attachments
with something more on the bookcase... no more room on the pix ;•]
with something more on the bookcase... no more room on the pix ;•]
python-gear now!!!.jpg (194.66 KiB) Viewed 3591 times