What synthesizers do you own?

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
PauloF

Re: What synthesizers do you own?

Post by PauloF »

Piaknow,
Very impressive list man !!!
But as an obvious Roland fan, I'm affraid you are missing a MUST...

**The mighty V-Synth !!!!**

;-)
Kristijan

Post by Kristijan »

All vintage analog synth lovers can download Polyvoks VSTi on

http://y0u-file.narod.ru/Polyvoks.htm .

Thanks to Alexander Shlejonkin for a free download.
Dsnow

Post by Dsnow »

good stuff guys!

kristijan - thanks for the link! I'll have to give it a try... and while I should certainly wait to comment until Ive done so, I cant help but be a little skeptical. The VSTi might sound great but old analog instruments have a certain magic to them that digital emulators never seem to quite get right on.

still, cant hurt to have another VSTi kicking around!

piaknowguy - haha, I like the clarification on your previously owned juno-60. I would love to get my hands on one of those!

Did you like the Yamaha DX7? Although my korg ds8 is FM and I quite like it, I saw a DX7 pop up on craigslist for 150 bucks and I was toying with the idea of getting it if its still available next payday.

KRE8A - thanks for sharing, you got some cool stuff! What do you think of the JP 8000?
Dsnow

Post by Dsnow »

Whoa, just listened to the demos on [url=http://y0u-file.narod.ru,]http://y0u-file.narod.ru,[/url] and they sound pretty darn good. Definitely gonna have to try these out tonight.
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

" It's a great machine " ;)

All the knobs and sliders are spread out across the board, to give you that real analogue feel when playing. With certain patches I 'tweak sequence' with chorus to thicken, treble to open up, cross modulation to sharpen up and buzz, tweaking the waveform selections in oscillator 2, over-riding the effect for oscillator 1 for enabled or disabled LFO, tweaking filter parameters, applying amplitude mono / pan separation, and so on and so on. Realistically, there is no specific order. I find it incredible how you can just shuffle the generators parameter settings randomly to hear different sound characters.
It's no wonder why this machine ` is / was - used in a lot of venues.

d:?)
Dsnow

Post by Dsnow »

Well, I must say Im pretty impressed with the polyvoks VSTi.. Since Ive never played a real one I cant really make a comparison, but as far as a stand alone VSTi I think its pretty good. The filter is quite nice, while I find a lot of digital filters tend to spit out some unpleasant tones in certain frequencies when you push the resonance, I could crank it a bit more with the polyvoks station and it sounded great!

In fact I put together a little track while I was mucking about and testing the features of the synth. Its all (except drums) done with the polyvoks station VST, with no external effects. Its not much, I didnt spend much time polishing it, but shows off how nicely a resonant lowpass filter can roam through the frequencies.

anyway thanks again for the link Kristijan. I think the next thing Im gonna do is pair some tearing sawtooth bass from this with some nice lush pads from my juno-g.
Kristijan

Post by Kristijan »

You are welcome, Dsnow! :-)

I'm also impressed with Polyvoks VSTi, Sigma Project's and your demo.

Maybe we must tell to Artemiy to produce some great presets. ;-)

Regards,
Kristijan
Dsnow

Post by Dsnow »

Im going to do some work with this synth so if I come up with some patches I'll definitely post them.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Here's another VSTi emulation. Now Piaknowguy can further reminisce for the Juno-60 and rest of us can continue to dream about touching a synth made with real wood.

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products:VST_TAL-U-No-62

As I recall it sounded pretty good. The guys at TAL put out some decent plugs.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I don't know guys what is your reference, but even the JUNOs and Fantoms can create better analog-style sounds than 99% of VA software synthesizers I have heard. I did check out TAL's synths and they are not inspiring at all, maybe only for those who have never heard a proper synthesizer ;-)
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

"As I recall it sounded pretty good."

Maybe I should have said, "sounded ok." I probably should have even tried it again! Alas, I think with many of these free emulations, it's the thought that counts.

What's your opinion of the Polyvoks plug?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I didn't try that particular plug-in as it is VST and PC only. However, Imagine Line does have a Polivoks emulator plugin called Sawer. On their site they sing about which depths they went to accurately reproduce all the processes and qualities of the circuits, however, being an ex-Polivoks owner, I can say that not only this synth doesn't sound even a mile close to Polivoks, but even by simpler analog synth standards - it's sound is cold, a bit harsh, and generally nothing exciting. I did want to like it but there are a few VA synths out there which are indeed very, very good - Sawer just is not one of them.

I was very impressed by ARP 2600 from WayOutWare, this one is too close to a real analog. Also NI MASSIVE is quite a serious machine in this respect, it can do really juicy, warm and punchy sounds you could easily mistake for a real analog.

But once again, compared to those seemingly-good VA's, listen to the analog-style patches on your Fantom or JUNO. Don't you hear that the CLASS of sound is totally different?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Oh yes, if you want an inexpensive VA, check out ACE:
http://www.acesynth.com/

It's a bit sterile to my ears, but the analog warmth and punch is there.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

I've heard of sawer, but not the others. It's funny when you read that they came up with that from a coding error and in the process imply there is some connection to analogue.

Not to say it's impossible to emulate hardware, but it is expensive. Just look at the UAD plugins.

I'd imagine synths are even more complex, if not impossible, to reproduce faithfully. It actually makes me wonder how feasible a Jupiter-ARX card really is.

At any rate, I'm not a fan of VST's. Yes, they are a fraction of the cost of the 'real' thing, but they lack all the mystique. I like freebies because I can toss them aside and not have to worry about it.

In the meantime, it's going to take a while to save for an ARP.
cheungaryk

Post by cheungaryk »

I currently own:

-Alesis Fusion 8hd AND 6hd (selling 8hd)
-Novation x-station
-Korg micro-x
-Yamaha DJX
-some softsynths

used to own:

-V-synth GT
-VP-770
-Kurzweil K1000

and a couple others, but I can't remember on top of my head...