What synthesizers do you own?

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
PauloF

Re: What synthesizers do you own?

Post by PauloF »

motic wrote:A picture says more than 1k words...
Got the message motic! I will as soon as I get home next week lol
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

The latest additions to the Soundworld...a K2500RS and another FantomXR. I wasted no time using both "The Vortex" and "Ring Worldz" in my latest Jazz tune!
SWAD_Rackster.jpg
SWAD_Rackster.jpg (59.53 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
scottrod

Post by scottrod »

My toys here in Ohio. Have them in a nice treated room with a high-end JBL sound system. Sweet!

Roland
JV-1080 - w/ Orchestral Card. My favorite oboe sound in there.
JD-800 x 2 - My favorite synth. Have two for the additional polyphony and most of the voice cards.
JD-990 - have the Vintage Synths card. Have all three voice cards.
D-50 - have all the voice cards.
D-550 x 2 - you just can't have too much LA synthesis!
D-70 - have some of the voice cards. Has a new blue display.
Jupiter 80 - not using it much atm, but I do love it.
Integra-7 - haven't had time to really dig in, but will someday.

Yamaha
Motif ES8 - My main DAW controller. Currently modifying the keybed to lighten it up. Going very well.
SY99 - had two for the polyphony, sold one.
KX5 - from days gone by.

Oberheim
OB-Xa - 8-voice, a near-mint example of the breed. Has Encore midi.

Korg
Wavestation A/D - interesting, but I don't find it very useful.

Sequential Circuits
Prophet T8 - the world's most beautiful synth and a glorious keybed.

Had, gone now...
Roland V-Synth GT - powerful, just couldn't warm up to it's sound.
Roland MKS-80/MPG-80 - used it forever in the 80's and really don't miss it, but do wish I still had it.
Roland JX-10 - nice, want an MKS-70 someday.
Roland JP-8000 - too plasticy for my taste.
Roland MKB-300 - awesome keybed, but no aftertouch. :(
Dave Smith Prophet 8 - too clean for my taste.
Kurzweil K2000 - too redundant with the above.
Yamaha CS-20m - wish I still had this one.
Yamaha CS-40m - my first synth. Long gone.
Yamaha TG100 - served it's purpose when I got out of the music biz. This was all I had for a long time.
Yamaha TX816 - dino-synth. Has 12-bit goodness though.
Yamaha DX100 - used as a controller only.
Prophet 600 - had to go for the MKS-80. Taught me to use a flashlight on stage with its membrane keypad.

The Future
Yamaha EX5 - currently looking.
Prophet 12 - some of the gear may have to go to fund this one. We'll see...
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

OK Scott, indeed a mouth watering setup, but what interests me is that blue screen for the D-seven Zero! Where did you get it and how can I get one? I need, I want! My backlight has been out for years.

BTW, I just got the SL-JD80-05 "Brass Section" card set on ebay. I have all but the SL-JD80-06 (Accordian) now. Not sure I need an accordian sound but sometimes there are some really cool patches on those card sets. I recently saw an entire set of those SL-JD80 cards go for almost $800 on ebay. My favourite is still the SL-JD80-04 Strings Ensemble card set.

Which "Voice Cards" that you mentioned for the JD-990 do you have?
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Currently:
Korg:
Radias
Kronos

Roland:
Jupiter 80
Fantom X8
XV-88

Kurzweil:
PC3

Yamaha:
Motif ES

MIDI Controller (for stage use only):
Alesis Vortex

Soon:
Either Integra-7 or V-Synth GT or XT. (V-Synths aren't easy to find at decent prices though) Also going to jump on a Blofeld and possibly a Kawai K5000

Formerly owned and kicking myself for not keeping all of these except one:

Korg:
DW8000
DSS-1
Wavestation EX
M1
Poly 800

Roland:
JP-8000
Juno-106
SH-32

Kurzweil:
K2000
K2000RS

Oberheim:
Matrix 6

Kawai:
K1 (hated this one and don't miss it at all)

Yamaha:
TG33

Sequential Circuits:
Six-Trak
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

Simple and humble collection that covers everything, but not necessarily brilliantly. Really miss the ol' EMU EIV series samplers, and haven't owned any sort of sampler for almost 20 years. My loss!

Roland
INTEGRA-7
XV-5080 fully loaded but destined to become another I-7
JD-990 with Vintage board
TD-30 module

Yamaha
MOTIF XS Rack x 4
VL70-m Turbo
P50-m

Novation
Supernova
Nova for vocoder only

Past Love Affairs
Alesis DM Pro
EMU E-Synth
EMU E-Synth Ultra
ENSONIQ SQ80
ENSONIQ EPS
ENSONIQ ASR-10
Kawai K4r
Korg Wavestation SR on 3 occasions
Korg Wavestation AD
Roland JV2080
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

MOTIF XS Rack x 4!! :D
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

LOL Yeah Andy, it was the only way I could get sufficient outputs without having to go the MLAN route. I originally intended for those units to take over almost all sound-generation duties. Then I ran into the brick wall that is the on-board editing (the USB software is impractical and unnecessarily complex), and then I ran into... the INTEGRA-7.

The INTEGRA-7/s will cull the herd somewhat soon I suspect, once I've done some serious comparative testing...
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Yeah, it seems to work that way. I suspect there might be a total gear rethink on the cards for me in the next year or two.
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

I hope you hang on to your Fantom X Andy! It's still a GREAT instrument and we need you man! :)
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Ha, thanks Vlad! Every time I go through what I've got and what I need on paper it's the Fantom X that comes up as the obvious candidate for replacing (I can't really justify buying something like a PC3K and keeping the Fantom), but whenever I crank it up I enjoy it too much!

I just wish it was possible to mod the Fantom to give it some flash memory. It's the sample handling and loading that lets it down at the moment.
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

So this is my third post in this thread listing the synths/workstations I own. Hopefully it's the last for a LONG time. (Yeah, right, lol)

Roland:
Fantom X8
XV-88
Jupiter 80
V-Synth v2 (YAY!!!)

Korg:
Kronos
Radias

Kurzweil:
PC3

Yamaha:
Motif ES

Ummm, MIGHT get a Blofeld desktop just because it's inexpensive, very powerful, and might make a great partner to the V-Synth, but, as for BIG purchases, I have more now than I'll need for a long long time.

Oh, and I got over the Solaris lust very quickly (thanks for the advice Parsifal)! 4000 USD for a 10 voice digital VA? Nope. I will probably get laughed at by a Solaris user but the relatively less expensive Jupiter 80 or Kronos can do what Solaris does as far as end result; in fact, so can the V-Synth. For the really hardcore modular synth heads I am sure Solaris is a bargain, but, if I had the funds, I would rather have gotten a V-Synth GT 2.0 which I think is WAYYYY more powerful than Solaris if my humble V-Synth 2.0 is any indication.

Make great music folks!!
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

I keep posting in this thread, but never "putting out" ;)

Roland SH-09
Roland RS-09 (Organ/Strings) both recently brought out of retirement thanks to a MIDI-CV/Gate converter :)
Roland Juno-6
Roland D-5 - I only use this as a synth keybed now, its innards are held together with superglue, rubberbands and prayer.
Roland D-110 - Ignore the "real sounds", they haven't aged well, but you can still get some quite interesting synth sounds from it, especially if you think of it as a single 32 oscillator synth.
Roland SH-32 - I love this synth. It has its quirks, but it sounds great, for a VA.
Roland Fantom X7 (SRX: 01 Drums, 06 Orchestra, 07 Keys, 09 World) - live workhorse #2. Owned it since 2007 and it still thrills me. I just wish it was a bit lighter!

Korg Wavestation A/D - I love the swirly pads and the analogue inputs

Alesis QSR - this has some great variations on bread & butter sounds, and some fab synths sampled from Keith Emerson's collection. I liked it so much I bought a ...
Alesis QS8 - ... thinking I would sell the module. Now iI'm not sure. I might trade them both for a QS7 if I can find one.

E-mu Morpheus - Swoosh, swirl, morph. It's a bugger to program, but when you get it right it sounds like nothing else.

Nord Stage EX Compact - I bought this after spending 2 years fighting the Fantom over Hammond sounds. It sounds fab, and gets used at almost every gig I do, usually with the Fantom. It has improved my playing.

There are other bits, but I doubt anyone cares about interfaces, mixers and so on :) I'm gonna go play now...
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Andy,

Nice gear man! I am still kicking myself for GIVING away an SH-32 before I moved to Holland. That little synth is deceptively powerful and I miss it a lot.

I know I wrote this before but I'll repeat: I hope you hang on to your Fantom X. I know it takes ages to load samples, I usually have a three course dinner while waiting,but, there is no denying that it's still a great workstation. I bought mine around the time I joined RC and to this very day, the Fantom X still amazes me.

Best,
Vlad
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Ha, next time you're giving gear away, Vlad, keep me in mind :)
I don't think I will get rid of the Fantom X for a long time. Like I said elsewhere, every time I go through gear on paper it's the candidate for a refresh, but every time I play it I'm blown away by the sheer amount of sounds it can make, and it's splitting/layering/RPS capabilities.

I've shied away from using samples live because of the file handling, but I've got a situation coming up where I need it, so I'm going to give myself the backup of triggering samples from the iPad, just in case there is a crash within 45 minutes of my needing it.

Cheers,
Andy