My gear has outgrown me and need advice

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
motorhead9999

My gear has outgrown me and need advice

Post by motorhead9999 »

Alright, so basically I ended up getting a lot more gear than I ever initially anticipated. I'm trying to simplify my setup as much as I can, without having to go and repurchase things over and over (as I've done with interfaces and such).
I'm by no means a professional. At this point in time, this is all really just a hobby for me, so I don't understand all of the ins and outs of this hardware (no pun intended). i figure I might as well just ask the professionals out there in internet land for some help.

Here's the list of my gear:

Kurzweil PC3
Roland V-Synth GT
Dave Smith Tetra
Dave Smith Evolver
Korg KP3 KAOSS pad
Cakewalk UMG-3 midi interface (3 in/3 out)
Mackie U-420 (which I use as an audio interface and audio output/soundcard for my computer.
Behringer BCR2000 midi controller
Samson Patch bay

Basically, I'm looking to be able to control most of my gear (at least all the synths) through my kurzweil, and use the Behringer to modify settings on whatever I choose, and do audio recording, with the possibility of doing live performances as well. This last part would be a perk, but isn't needed at this juncture. An all in one unit that could handle this would be nice, but I have my doubts that something's out there. I've looked at the new Roland Octa-capture a bit and cakewalk's V100 (which I think is Roland in all but name) but I honestly just don't know what I need. Keeping price down would be appreciated. Something like one of the Pro-tools boxes that are well over a grand is something that isn't in my ballpark at this time.

Another question I have for you all is the issue with computers. Right now, I have a PC that I use, but potentially if i ever do live stuff, a laptop would be required. I've used Ableton to some degree and its been ok, but I'm not committed to any one DAW platform. I'm also trying to get out of the "free" software business if you catch my drift and go legit in terms of what I have on my PC

And of course, we now enter into the dreaded Mac vs PC argument. I've used a PC for the vast majority of the things I've tried. But every time I read interviews with people, its almost always a Mac that they use. I had tried using Logic with Omnisphere, but I really didn't like how it was working out, although that probably had more to do with using it on a mac mini with "free" software. I've got issues with both Mac (especially the whole cost vs what specs you get) and PC (problems seem to just happen at some points), so I'm fairly neutral and not a fanboy of either side. There's also the issue of which side hosts the better VSTs. I know Zeta+ is a very popular VST, but its Cakewalk only and thus PC only, but I've also seen some Mac stuff that is Mac only, so I'm torn.

I would really appreciate any help you all can provide.
thextreme1

Re: My gear has outgrown me and need advice

Post by thextreme1 »

PauloF

Re: My gear has outgrown me and need advice

Post by PauloF »

Yes... And loads of money too ;-)