Novation UltraNova - looks interesting!

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
n3oz

Re: Novation UltraNova - looks interesting!

Post by n3oz »

Very interesting ... same price of Gaia.
I have a novation ks4 and is a beutiful machine.
I hope in an Ultra Nova Extended with all UltraNova features, 8 parts with 49/61 keys, the reborn of supernova II :)
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

A sleaker Gaia? Looks nice, but not so sure about the interface. The 14 filters, two of which can be stacked, caught my attention. What's this touch sense stuff all about?

Interesting connectivity, audio interface, monitor outs, aux outputs, spdif and USB powered even. That's a new one, but I like it better than expensive batteries.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

The editor does look beautiful, I really hope it is as convenient to use as it is nice to look at:
http://www.novationmusic.com/products/hardware_synths/u...

Nice idea with the tabs on the left that show the overview of the settings in each of the building blocks.

I hope, though, that the synth itself allows to easily access all of it's parameters.

BTW, SH-01 GAIA, while being more simple in the synthesizer engine, is an absolute blast to program due to the huge amount of dedicated controls.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Judging by the site's phrasing, "The software editor enables detailed visual editing of UltraNova", I think you do need the software to have total control. This a sure deal-breaker for people like me. I'd rather have my NI MASSIVE than this, would be no difference, I still have to be sitting in front of my Mac to do serious stuff.

I can imagine that live musicians will appreciate this - program sounds at home, bring the synth with you on stage. Sort of like the MC-808, but was this concept ever successful?
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

That is how I feel about this new generation of software editors too. If I wanted to edit everything in the computer, why would I not just pull up a VSTi. I can see the economy of it, but the Virus seems the only exception I'd consider today.

While I really like the look of this and Novation is known well enough for the sound, the Gaia's controls are still more appealing to me. Yes, it seems the Ultranova is quite a bit more advanced with wavetable synthesis.

Actually, if I had the space and budget, I'd clear a wall to start a modular synth. Then I guess wouldn't we all like one of those. ;-)

For performance tho, these touch sense knobs look really cool. I love assignable controllers(minus the extra controller) and it seems they take it to another level here.