Korg radius or blofield desk module?

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
nocredentails

Korg radius or blofield desk module?

Post by nocredentails »

ANY opinions on eaith of these...im somewhat familiar with the korg sound...but i havent got a clue on the waldorf sound...i cant really make a sound judgemnt from you tube videos sadly...has anyone here had the chance to try both...ive been doing some online window shopping and i see these 2 moduals about the same price.
there was also a phantom le modual...but the videos are all showcasing plucked instruments and pianos....same with the yamaha motif modual.
which is in the same price range of the phantom modual.

What i would really love is a modern analogue modual that does not sound like white or pink noise has been added and im not fond of analogues that are realistically out of tune....Im sure there are some folks here who spent enough time behind thier vintage analouge with a flathead screwdriver who also would rather not see an out of tune analouge again.
Ive seen the dave smith moduals....and forgive me but in that case you need to go big and just get the prophet, ...out of my price range for now.
SammyJames

Re: Korg radius or blofield desk module?

Post by SammyJames »

Well -- everyone has unique tastes. But based on what you wrote about your preferences in sounds, I would recommend the Radias. The Blofeld is pretty much the same thing as the old Waldorf MicroQ with some added features. The sound is also based on the same software technology used in the Waldorf Largo and Komplexer.

The strange thing is that the Komplexer has some killer presets, whereas the Largo sounds just horrible out-of-the-box. I'm unsure of whether it is the filters or the waveforms, but I hate the way that it sounds. (I suspect that it is a combination of both.) The bottom line for me is that I have always been a huge Korg fan, and I came to Waldorf much later in life.

I think that Waldorf has a future, but they absolutely MUST give us better-sounding filters in particular. The hard-edged sound that they get just doesn't please my ears at all. Then again, what do I know about modern synth sounds? I'm so hopelessly stuck in 1985 that I'll probably just never get it.

:)

- Sammy

P.S. With the possible exception of the original MicroWave series, Waldorf has never been known for strong filter technology. In 1979 or 1980, when Palm produced his first synths, he took all kinds of heat for releasing products that sounded terrible -- albeit unique. What followed was at least a decade of refining the sound by using digital wavetables and analog filters. But today, those analog circuits have also been entirely realized using microchips. Hence, it remains to be seen whether THEY will also "get it."
Hanon_CTS

Post by Hanon_CTS »

Hello,
I have the Korg Radias-R and sold my Waldorf Micro-Q to partially fund it's purchase.
IMHO,
The Radias is better all the way around, but it's controls really shine.
Cheers, Hanon
canefire

Post by canefire »

I own the Korg Radius. It is easy to use and it sounds phenomenal. (Especially the drums) I have never used the Blofield myself but a young producer I know does use it and to me his music is excellent. look up vinyljunkie07 on you tube and see what that guy is doing with the blofield. I got my Radius for $500 a few years ago and I love it.

Guidance
Ian