New Monitors or a Laptop

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
dutchman

New Monitors or a Laptop

Post by dutchman »

Hey guys im struggleing with this descision for a while now..
I need new monitors because my old ones a about 6 years old now and its time to replace the with somethig new..
on the other side i wanna buy a laptop so that i can work easyly with my fantom an laptop toghether without moving through the whole room everytime from my computer to my keyboard all the time...beacause i only work with the sequenzer in the fantom and i wanna start working with my pc and sonar 8 again..
so if i buy the monitors i cant use my pc with sonar 8 and if i buy a laptop i cant get a good sound because of crappy monitors i have...
maybe you can help me out a litte with this descision
thanks
PauloF

Re: New Monitors or a Laptop

Post by PauloF »

I suppose your problem is money, not a technical nor logistic, am I right? ;-)

Why not buying the laptop and some good headphones? And leave the monitors to be replaced next time? Just what I would do...
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Quite the quandary. I can relate.

What's missing here is #1 - budget and #2 - what monitors are you on?

I mean, NS10's are what 30 some years old now? After six years, you should at least know your speakers pretty well.

If your current computer is up to the task, why not consider running a midi cable across the room and adding a controller? No option for rearranging the furniture?

One other consideration is that Sonar X1 is getting to be quite resource hungry. While laptops are convenient, I'm not sure they are keeping pace(affordably) with modern DAW needs. Funny thing is, once the laptop is plugged in to everything it's not any more portable or even saving much space; quieter, maybe.
dutchman

Post by dutchman »

I use my technics cd player as my monitors
but one bass boost is not working u know when the kick hits it moves out and its not working anymore....
the connections where i put my audio cable in the cd player is also broken...i have to move it around until both peakers work....
its is defnetly a money issue if i had enogh i would buy both of course but i thinbk rearranging the furniture and buying some new monitors i the desicion im gonna go with
thanks guys