StudioBlade (must see)

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
I AM

Re: StudioBlade (must see)

Post by I AM »

don't know.... from my POV vsti is dull.... the only exeption i know is NI Reactor... really something different
this demos even prove this.. sounds not better than say kurzweil or roland strings...
but for someone will like this controller, for sure.... studio in one box, but pretty expensive

but about free vsti's.... total crap... some of them are good, i'm sure... i don't use them, but have heared from trusted fellows about good ones

just found a video of something different

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh8YYONr ... r_embedded#!
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

I sure hope that's not a teaser for the next Fantom!
Although it adds a whole new dimension to live performances...
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

i know you ain't staring trouble.. ;) But I also can tell that you didn't look into it very well...
Korg TOP OF THE LINE workstation that does everything this does and....excellent sound design.

I'm sorry, but there is no way the ANY Korg/Roland/orYamaha Workstation can do even half of what this thing can do.. It's not possible for them to... you are stuck with it's built in software and cannot add to it.. With StudioBlade you have the Workstation software they provide and also to use any other software DAW available of your choice or all of them if you like and have the space... You can have all the sample libraries you want, all the VSTs you can afford.. Plus they keep updating these so you can continue to feel inspired since you'll always have a set of fresh sounds...

Which of the top three can claim that?
nocredentails

Post by nocredentails »

LOL...i would be happy to be "stuck with" top of the line Korg sounds....then all the substandard vsts i could afford.
Im sorry its just my opinion, 5 years from now when the vsts catch up it may be a different story.
I cant justify spending 3100 dollars jsut so that i can acces sample libraries (the only vsts that have good sound) faster.
Its splendid that all of my samples could be in one spot like a studio sound board though. And being able to hook in more than one hardware sequencer at a time and using them all seperately at the same time with different samples would definately make this worth the 3100....If there was a way to say have three hard ware sequencers and 3 hardware synths all going at the same time yeah this would be a beast and i sure anyone would pay 2x as much for it....
But it seems as thought this is not the case..I could be wrong.
Can it recieve external audio live?
If it can store samples can it also store whole tracks?
Like i said its not for me becuase i dont own alot of nice gear, it would be better for me to use the 3100 on good hardware....If i had good hardware and this thing did the above mentioned things yeah it would be nothing short of awsome. lol I would also need a large room, large desk. It is a monolith you must admit.
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

All that can be done.. Watch the video again on the first page of this thread(the one on the second post of the guy explaining it all), and read the entire specs list.. Anything can be done with it.. And no, the fantomG is bigger than this..
nocredentails

Post by nocredentails »

I SHTAND corrrrrrrrected!!!

lol nice gear.

very nice indeed.
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

I'm telling you... This is the best it's ever gotten and some people act as if they've seen better..LOL!
;-)
nocredentails

Post by nocredentails »

Well i know the pros use like 3-4 sequencers and they have sound boards...and they have it all linked up together.......yes indeed this Is a pro-studio just add gear!!!
You will be sorry however for saying that roland should catch up!!!
I heard there is going to be a new....um...errrr....ROMPLER!
Stop laughing...theres more..........

IT HAS A D-BEAM!!!!!!

go ahead laugh now mr. studio blade!!!!!.....*mumbles*" ginsu studio."
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

nocredentails, get off those mushrooms already! :-)
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Ah-ha! So that's what is is?? ;-)

Artemiy... What do you think of this? I have a feeling that being windows is keeping you quiet.. But this is the beast of them all..
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Yeah, and Roland is also about 30 pounds LIGHTER than this thing. My goodness -- read the specifications when you have a second. The lightest instrument produced by Music Computing weighs about 60 pounds (yes -- SIXTY pounds...)

Now, I know that I am disabled so I can't lift that much weight. But even if I were a fully-capable, able-bodied person, I'd still think twice about the hernia-inducing nature of these keyboard workstations.

- Sammy
mrdelurk

Re: StudioBlade (must see) - first impressions

Post by mrdelurk »

Just reading up on Music Computing's Studioblade ... hmm.

The 88 key version is just 40 lbs, they say. That's awesome! The keyboard is from the M-Audio ES line, I read. That's no good, the Keystation 88ES feels cheesy, I have one.

The StudioBlades have 8 Gigs of onboard samples. Could be good, if it could be checked. They don't have the arpeggios most Korg and Yamahas do, which is not good, arps are a major reason why I still buy 88 key boards. (I know, I know, I'm a sucker. Aren't we all? All these timbres were around since the Akai era, otherwise.)

One of the strengths of hardware synths is that they keep working; I have units from the 80's that work as well as on day one. In comparison 1 in 3 computers fails in four years, according to the latest Consumer Reports survey. If you want a composing tool that stays with you through a lifetime... well, the computer on your desk ain't it. So Music Computing built a similar generic computer into a keyboard box. They suggest you can buy two computer boards to have a spare when the first quits. That's a nice idea, but when the second one quits maybe another 4 years later, you will be still stuck, no? The words "computer" and "longevity" do not go together too well. At least, for now.

An other thought, I own a Windows 7 computer already. Even most of these plugins. So I should buy them again because - they are molded into a keyboard shape? I tend to find my hardware synths more useful than these plugins in the first place. OK, I haven't tried the StudioBlade's 8 Gig soundset. Maybe it could tilt the scale, but there is no way to check it out from where I sit.

Music Computing is on to something, they have some good ideas; I really wish them to succeed, but it will take some thinking. At this stage, the pros and cons of a StudioBlade seem to even out for me.
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

I returned to Music Computing's site and a lot of my objections from my last post re the StudioBlade in another thread were answered by Victor. But, here is some other interesting news: they have introduced another model called ControlBlade. It is a little brother of StudioBlade. I grilled Victor for a good hour on what this thing can do and frankly I am impressed. Yes, yes, I do know it is a computer, but, my objection to VSTs has not been about them at all. Omnisphere is an amazing VST. My issue was with the notion of gigging with a laptop - it ain't gonna happen!

At 1699, and 500 for Omnisphere, I would say this is a damned nice deal. No bloody laptops in a pub AND I can finally explore VSTs. The ONLY thing is I wish that Victor would consider SSD as opposed to HD.

Victor assured me that these instruments are sturdy with metal casing. The photos I had seen looked very plastic.

2200 dollars all totaled and you are talking 1000 USD LESS than a USED Motif XS. Nice deal and Victor is getting my order in late August gods willing.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Dont you mean about $1000 MORE than a used XS6 (approx $1200)..

I just dont see the value added in this approach... hardware synths are worth goo money five, ten, fifteen or even 20 years afterwards if they are good boards.. i dont see these things having residual value past 3-4yrs at all... there will never be a good reason to buy one second hand..
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Hi Mystic,

I think what attracts me about StudioBlade and ControlBlade is that I want to avail myself of something like Omnisphere for instance but without the laptop in a live gig. Sure, laptops are fine if you're playing a safe arena, but I guess I am paranoid about a laptop in a biker dive lol

The other thing is that while I have NO illusions about these things being equivalent to a Fairlight CMI30-A, there is at least a sense of exploring something that remotely resembles it in terms of modularity.

Yes, computers do fail but with this being Windows based and user serviceable motherboards, I am not as worried.

Of course, I COULD get Omnisphere, sample what I like into Kronos or Fantom X. But I still think Septimo is correct that more open architectures are the wave of the future. As to the price, you are right, I meant to type Yamaha XF NOT XS and where the "used" came in is anybody's guess. I REALLY wish I could actually TEST one of these things but I am nowhere near Austin, TX. :)

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: And you are right about hardware synths holding some decent value. I was surprised to learn that my XV-88 still has a decent street value.