StudioBlade (must see)

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Septimo

StudioBlade (must see)

Post by Septimo »

Don't know how many of you seen this, but to those who haven't...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT93HtIK-Tk[/youtube]

Roland is just too far behind for this new age..

Here is their website..

http://www.musiccomputing.com/
Septimo

Re: StudioBlade (must see)

Post by Septimo »

Even the neko looks to be behind this..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnbmihJ0 ... er&list=UL[/youtube]
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Septimo

Post by Septimo »

IKeyDOCK version for your laptop..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhuEUemg ... re=related[/youtube]
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

I like the distinction he makes between keyboard workstations and keyboard production stations: two different categories for different purposes.

The 88 key production station looks impressive in the clip, although I think it's a pity that the touch screen is not in the center.

There's however one problem: since it is a computer/controller package it will produce heat and it needs to be cooled down.
If you have a computer only a few inches away from you, then it's practically impossible to work in silence with such a production station due to the fan noise when the CPU heats up. With a separate computer you can simply move the computer to a different room, but this is not an option with a production station.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I heard of these guys before. It still is a keyboard controller with a PC althought I believe it's a good one. Don't really see where the knews are. Also, beeing Windows based really takes all my curiosity away.
nocredentails

Post by nocredentails »

@jan.. could you explain to me if you got the time why computer noise would effect digital recording where the sound is coming straight from a line in or from mid data that just gets translated into audio data?
...a microphone would be effected by this...Im ignorant on this subject and i never knew why having a Quiet mac book was better than a pc with noisey fan when it comes to digital recording or processing.
Questions open to anyone and i would be very greatfull to learn something.
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Don't really see where the knews are. Also, beeing Windows based really takes all my curiosity away.

No disrespect intended, but It's amazing how something as weak as the fantom G got your attention and respect, but when something light years advanced like this comes around you're not impressed? Windows excuse? C'mon.. Or really, is it that you are not in the market for it, therefor making it unimpressive? You are right though in realizing it's a good one... Windows or Mac will wield you the same exact results.. except for the fact that windows is probably more compatible and easier to use... And Mac has the "stability", but in my experiences I feel that is a bit more Apple Fan Hype as they are both the same when it comes to results, but I heard from an app a developer, that they prefer to work on windows as it's less work.. You really have to ask yourself why do these companies choose to go with a windows OS instead of a Mac OS.... in the end it probably makes more sense.. Besides, they got iKeyDOCK which allows you to use whatever OS you choose...

I'd like to see Roland attempt something like this.. But they want to be the ones who invent the OS.. An OS that only works for and with them only.. an open source is the way to go.. This thing owns every Fantom/Motif/and triton or any other workstation to date out there. And yeah, windows is running it.. To me as a person who has jumped out of the closed box workstation for years now with out a real substitute, this is real news! Roland stop having real news since the 2004 release of the fantomX, because let's face it, anyone who wasn't a hyped Roland fan was not impressed with the G at all when they announced it especially if you already owned an X.. 7 yrs without no real advancement is not a way for Roland to conduct themselves.. Roland should stick to making performance instruments and leave Workstations to the willing pro's..
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

@Credentails:
I was not referring to the noise of the fan somehow ending up in the recording (although if you want to record with a microphone this is a problem), but I referred to the fact that the noise of a fan affects my concentration, and the moment the CPU is taxed, the heat goes up, and so does the fan noise.
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

With up to 8 gigs of ram, it's gonna be hard to heat it up.. Im sure it will have a fan control for recording purposes.. Hell, if my VS-1880 from 2000 has Fan Control, this thing has to be engineered with these old concepts in mind.. this is 2011.. I doubt that will ever be an issue with this thing...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

If you had a MAC you would be amazed with the noise it DOES NOT generate !! :-)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

StudioBlade cannot be compared to a Fantom X/G, or any competitor similar products, because this is not a Synth, but a sophisticated Control Surface and DAW Controller, made for the VST world... complete different beasts.

If you say that this is the future of music production, maybe you are right, all seems to point that way, but I still think that will be market for the two types of equipment for some time.

I would like to see standard MIDI Ports on this thing. It was made to interface with anything else but a computer...

For me this is a direct competitor for the Neko and the Miko from OL...but I'm curious to see it in action
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

My brother works on an iMac.. and me on windows.. To me, Same shit different toilet... I look at what I can do with it, not what peoples preconceived notions are of either.. Nor do I have the "Since I own this, it has to be the best" syndrome.. Careful not to catch that virus..

And yes, they can be compared directly... What is a fantom? is it a real synth?? naw man.. it's a controller controlling a closed private OS with exclusive computer software inside.. Meaning only one highly limited synth/sequencer software with no support making it obsolete as soon as you buy it, except with this SB you can choose whatever software synth/sequncer/DAW to run since it's open... And it seems they will continue to support it with upgradeable parts and software updates.. future proof.. My fantom X is great sounding obsolete controller..

The two types are clear.. Studio Music production, and Stage live music.. Roland will continue to make Juno's and evolve them for this.. And according to some here, they even sound better than a Fantom! Besides all this it seems they intending the Blade to be used in live situations as well... So I don't see them as two different beasts... Instead I see them as what the beast was trying to be in the first place but couldn't due to technological restraints from the past.. But now the future is clearer to where it's heading..

And as for the speculated noise issue? That's an excuse.. I'm way sure it has fan control, but either way, who has their DAW in the vocal booth?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

I don't have that syndrome at all, as I have both iMac and PC, both personally and professionally.
For me they are computers, slightly different approaches regarding the way the OS works, but yet similar.
More stability and less noise on the Mac? oh that's for sure, by MILES !!! otherwise, they are just computers, not much different from each other.

Regarding the Synths/Workstation concept, I agree that will be synths, workstations and now Production Stations. And there's market for all of them.
A production Station is not a direct replacement for the G, XS/F, PC3X, M3, Oasys, etc

This production Stations were made for live work? No the others were.

For me, the G is not a Production Station, it's a very complete synth with some Workstation features (unfortunately not very complete...), enough for LIVE and limited studio work if not complemented by a decent DAW/Mixing system.

IMHO, two complete different beasts they are !!!
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

"And as for the speculated noise issue? That's an excuse."

No, it's not an excuse or speculation, it's unfortunately a fact.
The last workstation I had built is one with a passively cooled PSU, passively cooled graphics card, the case was an Antec P182 (heavy, expensive and one of the quietest cases on the market), it had a Thermalright Ultra 120 processor cooler, and I replaced all the fans of the case and the fan of the Thermalright with 120 mm Scythe S-Flex case fans, the quietest on the market.

So, you might expect this workstation to be near silent, and indeed, when you start it up it is hardly audible. But the moment I start taxing the CPU (and that is not hard to do if you use big sample libraries and DSP intensive applications), the fans begin to rotate faster, and the computer begins to be clearly noticable. Not as much as a standard Dell computer, but still, it is not as quiet as I hoped.

Therefore I am very curious about the noise level of these Studioblades, because I don't see how you can make one as quiet as for instance a Fantom G, and for me silence is VERY important.

I know that the first units of the Open Labs production stations were noisy, just read the review at SOS (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/a ... bsneko.htm
So, for me before spending any money on such a production station I really would have to be sure about the noise level, because, as I said, you can always move a computer to a different room, but in the case of a production station you are stuck with everything right under your nose.