StudioBlade (must see)

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
V-CeeOh

Re: StudioBlade (must see)

Post by V-CeeOh »

No disrespect intended, but It's amazing how something as weak as the fantom G got your attention and respect, but when something light years advanced like this comes around you're not impressed

No disrespect taken but I stand for my words. I'm not impressed just like I wasn't with the Oasyses or the Nekos. Like we all agreed it's a keyboard controller and a PC. And yes, beeing Windows based moves me away from it. I have a "personal" thing with Microsoft ;-). That's why I'm saving for a Mac. A MINI one because it's all I need.
Look, I loved my X. I traded for the G because I could afford it and I believed it was and still is the best for me. I just love how it sounds. More, the keyboard itself is the BEST around and yes this is one of the things I value most. In the end, I'm not expecting Roland, Korg, Yamaha or any other to reinvent the wheel and I'm certainly not looking for a new "production station". I still have one. Windows based. I been using them for years. I just want a diferent aproach to my computing thus my will to try Macs way.
I'd like to see Roland attempt something like this

I know this is you just poking Roland but I personally would not like this to happen. I think they should stick to what they're doing: Junos and alikes, V-Drums, V-Guitars, V-Accordians, audio-video products, Boss pedals and Cakewalk software products and , yes, bring back the A series building decent professional controllers.
...7 yrs without no real advancement.

Well, if you're talking keyboard wise I'll accept it. But don't forget that Roland is no longer just a synth, workstation, keyboard manufacter. So I invite you to look out of the "production station" box and know a little more about what Roland has been doing.
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

They have a docking station for turning your macbook pro into a music production setup.

http://www.musiccomputing.com/store/product.php?product...

This is becoming very interesting.
nocredentails

Post by nocredentails »

i dont understand this completely ..it primaraly will use vst?
Have i lost touch with the vst world...or is the sound still inferior?
because i can envision this controller costing 5k or more...but why do that for crappy sound?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

It seems a Hell of a Control surface, but can't be used to Control directly other sound modules without additional hardware as there are no MIDI interfaces on it.
That's odd...
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Ok V-Cee.. It seems you'll need a iKeyDOCK.. A Windows Production Station isn't for you.. I got it..

Here are the Studio Blade Spec page:

StudioBLADE™ keyboard production stations represent a giant leap in music production technology. They are simply the most powerful, compact and affordable keyboard production stations available today.

What is a Keyboard Production Station? Keyboard production stations can be loosely defined as keyboard workstations that are connected to a computer, which is needed to provide additional processing power and features. While keyboard workstations are suited for live performance and sketching out ideas for a song, keyboard production stations, with built in high-power computer cores, allow users to go from composition to recording to mixing and finally mastering of songs that are ready for radio or direct Internet distribution.

More Power: StudioBLADEs are powered by high-performance computer cores utilizing Intel® processors that are perfect for today’s demanding musicians and the virtual instruments and software applications they use. Running Windows® 7 (64-bit), StudioBLADEs are extremely versatile, powerful and perpetually upgradeable. Base models equipped with Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processors can be easily upgraded to the latest Intel® Core™ i5 processors for even more performance.

Most RAM Memory: StudioBLADEs can be upgraded from the standard 4GB of RAM memory up to 8GB of RAM. More RAM means the system can run more software application, VSTs (virtual instruments) and tracks. In the past, the high-powered processor usually sat idling, waiting for information to be fed to it. With the 4GB limitation lifted, StudioBLADEs are able to fully utilize every bit of processing power from its Intel processors, making even the base model StudioBLADE, upgraded to 8GB of RAM, out perform any other keyboard production station or workstation.

More Keys: StudioBLADEs are available in 61-key and an 88-key versions, perfect for live or studio use. The waterfall keys are velocity-sensitive, semi-weighted action, and are professional in feel and ultra roadworthy. Pitch and Mod wheels as well as octave up and down buttons with indicators are included and after touch capabilities complete the playing experience.

See More Clearly: StudioBLADEs are equipped with a built-in telescoping and tiling 10.1” touch screen that adjusts to your desired viewing angle, making it extremely ergonomic to use. StudioBLADEs also provide two (2) additional external video ports so the user can run up to three (3) monitors simultaneously in cloned or extended desktop mode.

Controls with Feedback: Built into each StudioBLADE are Music Computing's ControlDAW™ midi controller and GeoMIDI™ midi mapping software. ControlDaw presents the user with four (4) banks of eight (8) plus one (1) master channel strips each with three (3) mappable encoders with LED indicator light rings, one (1) knobs for panning, solo and mute buttons and a high-quality fader. An 8X8 grid of lighted pads (64 total) is also provided that can be used as drum trigger pads, a Monome (with appropriate software) or as a trigger pad for sequences, etc. Controls for note-repeat enabled software and transport buttons are included as well as real-time feedback between the controllers and software making ControlDAW the ultimate midi controller for music production.

Hear the Difference: The standard configuration for StudioBLADEs include a 24bit-48 kHz audio I/O with two (2) combo XLR & ¼” mic/instrument 48V phantom power inputs, two (2) balanced outputs and a stereo headphone jack. The optional upgrade gives you a 24bit-96 kHz audio I/O with two (2) combo XLR & ¼” mic/instrument 48V phantom power inputs, six (6) ¼” balanced inputs (line-level), two balanced outputs and a stereo headphone jack. StudioBLADEs also offer Firewire ports in the event outboard audio I/O or other Firewire devices are needed.

Play That Sample: Music Computing’s TriggerGrid™, included with each ControlDAW, is a sample player that allows the user to trigger sampled sounds via controllers such as the ControlDAW or ControlPLAY™. Unlimited number of banks each containing sixty four (64) samples can be loaded and played. Per pad controls included: Frequency, Attack and Release, Gain, Pan and Reverse. Per pad wave editor allows for simple drag to trim/truncate samples. 16 – audio outs for use in a DAW. File formats include: wave and mp3. Save feature allows all 64 pads to be saved as a kit. Unlimited number of kits can be saved that can be instantly loaded for playback. Simple drag and drop interface to populate pads.

MIDI map presets: Music Computing’s GeoMIDI™ MIDI mapping software provides an interface for changing the MIDI assignments of the ControlDAW and ControlPlay’s buttons, knobs, and sliders. Each slider or knob can send out a variety of combinations of control or pitch-bend data. An unlimited number of MIDI map presets can be created, saved and loaded for use.

Thousands of Sounds: Music Computing’s SonicSource™ is a robust VSTi synth containing over 8GB of sound presets that is included with each StudioBLADE, ready to use right out of the box. Additional sound presets will be made available on a regular basis from Music Computing, enabling the user to compose with even more creativity.

Compact and light: Traditional production stations are big and heavy, by using the latest technologies and manufacturing processes, StudioBLADE keyboard production stations are arguably the most compact and lightest available. The 61-key version is only 36” in length and weighs approximately 28lbs, making it portable enough to go just about anywhere.

Ground-Breaking Price: In the past, keyboard production stations or keyboard workstations outfitted with external computers were relatively expensive, leaving the average person to only dream about owning one. Well-equipped StudioBLADEs start at only $2,599, making them an affordable tool virtually any musician can afford.

Built in Austin, Texas: Music Computing has created a partnership with a manufacturing company in Austin, Texas and has full access to virtually all equipment needed to produce its products on site and on demand. Our shopbots, pick and place machines, brake presses, and design computers are all standing at attention, ready to build the Music Computing instrument of your dreams, allowing us to custom configure and ship products out usually within 7 working days after the order has been placed.

Got Questions or Need Support?: Music Computing is operated by avid musicians and technology geeks who are passionate about music and their work. This is a standing requirement for being part of the company, which means there will always be answers and help when you need it.

Ready to Order?: Our online store is available 24/7 for you to place your order. You can configure the products exactly the way you want them and get it shipped out usually within 7 working days after you place the order. You can also call and talk to any of our friendly sales associates or contact a company referral member near you.

SKU SBLADE61C2
Weight 65.00 lbs

Our price: $2599.00
Quantity Price
*Note:

Memory (Ram) {your choice here}
Hard Drive 1 {your choice here}
Hard Drive 2 {your choice here}
Audio I/O {your choice here}
Quantity {your choice here}
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

@Paulo.. They Got USB adapters for that.. You don't really need that 5-pin interface anymore... on anything new at least.. Again, That's why there are adapters...
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

PauloF

Post by PauloF »

I know that, but reading the specs there is nothing about controlling other devices over USB, and how many interfaces we can use simultaneously...
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Ok.. Paulo.. Pay attention and look at the back as it does have a midi Out 5-pin interface..

http://www.musiccomputing.com/studioblade

Tech Specs..

StudioBLADE 61 Core i5

Keybed:
Number of keys: 61
Type of keys: Semi-weighted / synth-action

Controllers:
Master Volume: Audiophile-quality stereo potentiometer with custom knob (located at upper top left)
ControlDAW: 8 plus 1 channels each with 3 encoders (with push select - mappable), 1 knob (pan or remappable), 2 buttons (solo/mute or remappable), 1 fader (mappable); 16x16 grid of trigger pads (64 total, mappable), transport controls, Master control comprised of 1 encoder (with push-select) & 1 select button, and 4 bank select buttons
Pitch and mod: 2 x wheels
Octave: up/down buttons with lighted position indicators
Sustain: 1/4" jack (pedal sold separately)

CPU:
CPU Family: Intel Core i5 650
Processor Type: 64 bit
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Number of Cores: 2
L3 Cache: 4MB

Memory:
Type: DDR3
Slots: 2
Compatible RAM Size: 2GB or 4GB Modules per slot (8GB Max Total)

Drives:
Optical: DVD / CD Burner
HD Bay 1: Startup Drive
HD Bay 2: Available for upgrade
Hard Drive Sizes: 500GB, 1TB & 2TB (7200 RPM)

PC Connections:
USB 2.0: 7
Firewire: 2 external / 1 internal (used by Firewire card)
eSATA: 1
Ethernet: 1

Audio Interface Options:
1.) Presonus Audiobox USB: Inputs - 2 XLR or (1/4") TRS (balanced or unbalanced) combo inputs /w +48v phantom power and gain control: Outputs - 2 (1/4") balanced TRS output + 1 stereo (1/4") headphone , S/PDIF, MIDI (in/out) 1 direct keyboard MIDI out, Sample Rate (24bit 48KHz)

2.) Presonus Firestudio Mobile: Inputs - 2 XLR or (1/4") TRS (balanced or unbalanced) combo inputs /w +48v phantom power and gain control plus 6 balanced line level (1/4"): Outputs - 2 balanced (1/4") TRS, S/PDIF (in/out), MIDI (in/out) +1 direct keyboard MIDI out, Sample Rate (24bit 96KHz)

Video:
Touchscreen: Built-in articulated (10.1") Color LCD Touchscreen (1024 x 576 pixels)
External video ports: DVI-I port (1900 x 1200 pixels), and HDMI (1080P: 1920 x 1200 pixels)

Software:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Music Computing software: GeoMIDI (controller mapping software), TriggerGrid (sample trigger player for drum pads), and SonicSource (VSTi/synth containing thousands of sound presets - 8GB)
Third party software: Presonus Studio One Pro digital audio workstation (DAW) with 10GB of sounds and mastering suite

Computer keyboard:
QWERTY: 2.4GHz wireless keyboard with numeric pad and optical mouse with scroll wheel

Construction material: Anodized Aluminum

Size: 36"(L) x 18"(D) x 4"(H)

Weight: approx 28 lbs

Origin: Designed and Assembled in Austin, Texas
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

Well, now that the distinction has been made between music workstations and production stations it would be nice if the next step would be taken: the development of a dedicated 64 bit music OS.

I remember in the nineties there was an operating system dedicated to multimedia tasks, BeOS. Unfortunately it did not turn into the widely accepted multimedia platform it was supposed to be, and as far as I know, currently Haiku aims to redevelop BeOS R5.
I read on Wikipedia that Roland also has used a modified version of BeOS in media appliances.

I would LOVE to see a joint combination of Roland/Yamaha/Korg, develop, or contribute to the development of, a music OS.

If only one company decided to develop a music OS, it would be something exclusive and not generic, and probably will go the same way as Yamaha's
mLAN. So, best thing would be if such an OS would be jointly developed, or developed by a third party supported by companies such as R/K/Y.

Another problem is that such an OS would have to be widely supported by third parties in order to become a success.
Since I do not foresee many companies immediately jumping to the opportunity to start changing their source code to accommodate compatibility with a new OS, some sort of software 'translation' layer on top of the music OS would probably be required in the beginning so that applications like Kontakt etc. can be used.
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Lets look at the definition again...
What is a Keyboard Production Station? Keyboard production stations can be loosely defined as keyboard workstations that are connected to a computer, which is needed to provide additional processing power and features. While keyboard workstations are suited for live performance and sketching out ideas for a song, keyboard production stations, with built in high-power computer cores, allow users to go from composition to recording to mixing and finally mastering of songs that are ready for radio or direct Internet distribution.

So you see the only difference is that one uses the power of a PC and the other doesn't..

They both still have a built in "workstation Software" but the difference is that one allows you to install any other music software out there on the specified platform..

So you guys are basically coming down to the conclusion is that the only difference you see is that a workstation sucks and a production station kicks ass.. Yeah, that's a difference.. One extremely limited and the other completely unlimited, but still both built with the same goals in mind which is to produce a full song..

A production station is a workstation.. they just gave the name of "Production" so you would be able to tell that you can actually produce on one, and on that conventional WS you're just jerkin around pretending cus you can't really make a complete song without wasting your life in menus.. And for what? so that these main three companies can nickle and dime every little feature added by abandoning the current product to sell you another closed up board...
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Thinking about it now, maybe the three main companies aren't trying to nickle and dime but instead it's the fact that no matter how big these three may be, they're still not big enough to create an OS on the same scale as a Microsoft or Apple... Never gonna happen...either way, if they are not stepping in this direction, which i don't see happening cus things could get messy with these big companies trying to work together ,I suggest let it go.. It's easier for a new company to start off this way than it would be for the big boys since new guys usually start off broke in comparison. And they give you a whole lot more for less cost now than fantomGs!!! And the hardware and Software are upgradeable til who knows when! You know how nice it is not have to depend on just one company for sounds or updates?

but in respect of the conventional WS.. They are the fathers of these new production stations.. those ideas are what sparked these... :)
nocredentails

Post by nocredentails »

sorry looks like my last post got lost in the spec manual posting.
CAN somebody tell me why they would spend 5k or more on this product just to play with VSTS i simply dont understand....it is also a sampler?
becuase in mho vsts are inferior in sound to any hardware synth i can buy in this price range.
Aluminum nice!!!!! smooth shiny ...nice display....sure the keys are great .
but I have not found ONE vst that deserves to be housed in a container like this.
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

What?? 5K? or More? where did you see that? the most expensive one is only $3200... Did you watch any of the videos? "just to play with VST's"?? Do you really understand what this is? did you read any of the specs? go back and check it out..

StudioBlade 88 Core i5 Base Configuration

Intel Core i5 (3.20 GHz)/Windows 7 64-Bit/4GB RAM/500 HD/ControlDAW/DVDBurner/2ins-2outs/Firewire/88key/SonicSource/GeoMIDI/TriggerGrid/Studio One Pro DAW - DIM: 43" (W) X 18" (D) X 4" (H) - Weight: 34lbs. (Actual), Also included wireless QWERTY keyboard and mouse
Our price: $3149.00

..And your comment on VST's... You're kidding right? ;-) Stop using free VST's..they suck..

Cinema Vst

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTpQO0dM ... re=related[/youtube]

Piano VST

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hc00RpACf0[/youtube]
nocredentails

Post by nocredentails »

no, hey man didnt wanna make trouble at all i promise!
i got some nice vsts dont get me wrong....but even my best vst dont sound as good as some v.a. or analogue hardware surely you must agree.
sample libraries is a different story, but if we are talking about a vst...v.a.
subtractive or FM ..they just dont cut the mustard. Im sure anyone here will agree.
Ill be honest i didnt look that closely at it...but it is a sampler no?
I mean you can store samples in it?
3200 is still a chunk of change...its enough to buy korgs TOP OF THE LINE workstation that does everything this does and....excellent sound design.
yes with computer integration and touch screen.....V.A. additive/subtractive synthesis, weighted keys, fm synthesis. Incredable possiblities for sample manipulation....Ill be perfectly honest in the 3100 - 3500 price range its on my wish list.... Im thinking something like the studio blade is for people who already have really great gear and need like a mother controller.
Didint say it was bad but aside from multisample libraries there are no good vst synths...i mean that nothing that comes close to hardware.

BTW if sample libraries are the best vsts you can come up with....then do we really need all the parameter knobs?