Korg Kronos

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Vstream.be

Korg Kronos

Post by Vstream.be »

Oh my god....
If the synthengines can be combined this is a killer.

The first details and pictures of the new Korg Kronos already leaked from the NAMM floors. First impression is that it's a workstation with more than 12 GB SSD hard disk samples and none less then nine synth engines: SGX-1 Premium piano, MDS EP-1 Electric piano, Tonewheel CX-3 organ, MS20-ex Legacy Analog Collection, Ex Polysix Legacy Analog Collection, AL-1 Analog Synthesizer, NOD-7 Waveshaping VPM Synthesizer, STR-1 Plucked String Synthesizer, HD-1 High Definition Synthesizer.

http://www.gearjunkies.com/news_info.php?news_id=5978
jhashe

Re: Korg Kronos

Post by jhashe »

It seems to be a great workstation !
The informations I have are that their price would be in the same scale than for the M3 (that Kronos will replace)...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Guys, please keep the discussions in the relevant forum. Topic was moved to Other Gear.
n3oz

Post by n3oz »

Here all specs in Spanish
http://www.korg.es/workstations/118-catalogo-workstatio...

here the google translation
http://translate.google.it/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww...

Don't eat your fingers :)
Nord72

Post by Nord72 »

Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

The UI seems much like OASYS to me, not a bad thing.

Still, I am not sure about this one. A keyboard workstation makes less and less sense each day. Especially since, despite the promises, you can't ever expand the synths and effects beyond what's on offer.

I'd still rather build my own workstation my own way, choosing the instruments and effects I want.
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

By the way -- that introductory spiel at the beginning of the video makes no sense.

"Twenty-two years after the M1 defined the music workstation..."

Uh, first of all -- the M1 came out in 1987 -- about twenty-FOUR years ago, not twenty-two.

Second, the EsQ1, widely regarded as the first-ever synth/keyboard workstation, preceded the M1 by a year.

Who believes that the M1 "defined" the workstation? Well, Korg apparently does, and all of the M1 fans out there. But a more honest assessment is that the M1 became the most POPULAR workstation -- it didn't define it. The definition of a "workstation" is too loose to be owned lock, stock, and barrel by any one company or individual.

And third -- what is up with this whole "we're history" crap? If you want to get technical, Roland preceded ALL of 'em by a good decade -- producing one of the first-ever rhythm machines back in the late 1960s.

Look -- nobody cares about history anyway. You're only as good as your last hit. So shut up and put out -- or GET out.

:)

(And I don't really believe that last statement -- but I'm irritated with Korg's smugness. It really is aggravating, when they have left behind so many promising products in the dust, like the Triton, Trinity, Prophecy, Z1...)

Thanks.

- Sammy
apex

Post by apex »

art why would someone need to "expand" the synths of this board....

you could really get any sound you'd want... good programming is as close to expansion as most people need.... right?
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

I understand Artemiy. For example, I picked up Omnisphere, but I've gotten a wee-bit bored of only some of its on-board samples. I know that I can definitely renew my interest in programming it if I approach it with the right mindset. But it feels better to know that there are new products out there that I've never used, waiting for me to try them.

Also, the Korg doesn't have every kind of synthesis under the sun. It doesn't do additive or true physical modelling. It does FM and string modelling, which is very cool -- so don't get me wrong. But what is even more important is that you are locked into yet another bunch of technologies when you buy this thing.

Yes, it may be true that being locked-in isn't always a bad thing. But many of us have been playing synths for upwards of 30 years -- and having yet another "bigger, better" synth seems redundant and old-hat. I want to expand my synth palette -- not have a group of nne synths imposed upon me.

And for $3,000, I can think of a ton of ways to improve my current system -- such as by buying some cool MIDI controllers, software, computer upgrades, et cetera.

- Sammy
Nord72

Post by Nord72 »

Its an all in ONE solution, its a great integrated hardware system.

Of course if I have such a huge cash I would buy a Synthex even :)
But if You compare to other flagship workstations, Kronos the King already!
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

KRONOS is the ONLY new workstation right now.

It's probably a lot of fun to play.

If I had an extra $3,000, I'd buy one just to fool around with.

If I had an extra $30,000, I'd buy a Kronos and a new Fairlight 30A and put them in my front hallway and have parrties and have people come over and play with them.

But I barely have $300 right now. I'm poor. So when I get mad and say bad things about Korg, it's because I'm poor.

- Sammy
Nord72

Post by Nord72 »

Nord72

Post by Nord72 »

And the manual is already online.
I think I can call it a rock solid solution :)

http://cecilmacabre.deviantart.com/art/The-Book-of-Kron...
misuspita

Post by misuspita »

If the synthengines can be combined this is a killer.

In the presentation at NAMM they said that 2 engines can be combined per patch and demonstrated a polysix and a ms20 patch