Forget the workstation... is the DAW dead?

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
dbijoux

Forget the workstation... is the DAW dead?

Post by dbijoux »

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/01/10/is-the-daw...

I know a lot of users here have shared their concerns where this(workstations, iPads, digital accordians) is all going. Well, it didn't take a lot of thought to agree that the case may actually be quite the opposite.
donutninja

Re: Forget the workstation... is the DAW dead?

Post by donutninja »

# of keyboards I've owned: Lost count at 20
# of keyboards currently used on weekly gigs: 5
# of DAW used to do anything having to do with anything involving anything: 0
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Thanks for sharing, I can appreciate that perspective.

What you forgot to add was the # of times you've recorded in a studio.
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

I can see why it's in a slump.. I have CubaseSX3 now, and I don't see any reason to move forward unless my PC breaks down which I don't see happening anytime soon.. It does everything and more that I need it for... I'm sure many are in the same situation.. I know a guy who still using Nuendo 1 with still no intention of upgrading since he has know it so well.. and another guy who still has an Atari... Don't know how much it's used but he's still has it and it works... It'll come back once a new generation of recording methods are introduced.. Maybe interface changes and maintenance updates is all any of these software DAWs will ever need.. No need for a new code every time... At least I don't think so.. How much better are we gonna get from where it is already.. We've already hit our ceiling limit.. It won't get much better in sound quality.. Ways to achieve this sound, maybe, but better sound, doubtful...
donutninja

Post by donutninja »

# of times I've recorded in a studio: 4, three of which were on a grand piano :-D
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Should`nt read

Forget it.. "The Workstation DAW is DEAD"

I remember when the only option to put tracks together was to have a workstation..
it was the poor mans studio..

But now with the advent of cheap computing and software DAWS being as advanced as they are..
there is no longer and need to put all your eggs in one basket.

If you get yourself a really nice DAW and master it..
You will never need another workstation again... (at least for production)
the workstation is no longer the poor mans solution because its now more expensive than the computer based setup which is more powerful than any workstation.

A multi-timberal synth is about all you need these days and even then you dont need that because of soft synths..

Yes even with Kronos...
I agree

"The workstation DAW is DEAD!!"
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

I think you misunderstood the point, DAW's being sufficiently advanced in their abilities have now seemed to peak in their technological offerings. The latest batch of upgrades(Sonar X1, Cubase 6) devoting more than a fair amount of effort to interface design alone.

The underlying question I propose is more down the line of hardware workstations coming back into fashion someday, because let's face it Roland knows a little more about making musical instruments than a chip designer in Cupertino.

Furthermore, given the current state of the DAW, are iPod's and ultraportables playing catch up to a game that's already changed direction?

What's strange to me is knowing that people here have invested a literal ton of money in their music, yet still this misplaced idea of affordable computers is never far away.

The bottom line is really whether you have a hardware workstation, a DAW and a midi controller, or a nice guitar you're going to spend nearly as much any way you cut it. I mean, start adding up the costs of software and vsts, unless of course, you're [deleted by secret Roland agent]

Just because grandma is getting a break on the latest netbook, this doesn't mean a thing for a musician/producer.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Initially you may spend as much but long term you will never spend as much as you do on the workstation because with a workstation.. its value decreases, as you try to move to the next best workstation you loose about 50% along the way every time so you investment is getting smaller..

with a daw.. the investment you make is a once off investment after that you building around it and your setup matures..
A workstation based setup stands still and the only option is to do a full upgrade every time and you then have to start all over again where as with a DAW it stays in place and its everything else that changes..
Now if the question is..
Has DAW development reached its peak.. yes.. maybe
is it dead, if your asking about if it can be upgraded any further..
theres always room for extra even if its bundled with hardware..
there is always a different way to do things within a DAW so maybe they will simply change the game soon
but i see your point..
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Quinnx, you seem like a smart guy so I'm not sure how you make the comparison you're making between music hardware and sofware.

First, software is essentially a subscription model. You have to upgrade at least every other year to sustain any resemblence of value.

Second, computers have and always have been for the most part disposable, aside from the gold and platinum inside.

Third, of course, there are people out there running old computers with Cubase SX3 or an Atari. The problem with that is, it's hard to run one copy of Massive on a Pentium 4 machine, let alone the 10-20-30 instances needed for a modern production.

I'm not saying there is no value in a DAW, but I emplore everyone to take a closer look at the realistic costs of owning/operating/maintaining one.

If you don't then you're simply adding to these new age music myths; where everyone is a rockstar, music is free, and an iPod and earbuds is all you'll ever need.

Is the DAW dead? Obviously not, but the horse is starting to stink.
Radek

Post by Radek »

Every technology grows, then hits its plateau...
Yes - we're in the latter phase now, where it's hard to imagine any new possibilities to improve any further. I've remember that 15 years ago:
- good audio interfaces weren't cheap nor plentiful
- it was unthinkable to have that much audio processing power in a home/PC computer
- hard drives were smaller than a CD capacity
- even a simple home DI electric guitar recording had hassles (lack of good amp sims and CRT interference)

With lean software it's a something in the level of dualcore Atom to have sufficient capabilities (Kronos proves that). With such computer/software power available for cheap (comparably to past) it's not far fetched that a boredom may show. A boredom made of plentifulness at that...

Sometimes I regret that I've sold my Motif rack and Juno-G... It wasn't perfect but I had been more productive then with all powerful PC daw. Restraining in the name of creativity, perhaps... it's true?