VG-99: GUITAR OUTPUT jack

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Skwisgaar

VG-99: GUITAR OUTPUT jack

Post by Skwisgaar »

It's not clear what comes out of this jack when the "GK In Connector" is used.

The description states "This outputs sounds from normal guitars connected to a GK-3".

What exactly does a "normal guitar" mean in this context? How is it different from an "abnormal guitar" in this context? I consider any guitar that can use the GK connector to be abnormal, but not in a bad way.

I am rather hoping that what the sentence is supposed to read is "This outputs a normal guitar signal from the instrument connected to the GK-3".

Another think I'd like to know is, what comes out of the GUITAR OUTPUT jack when I have something connected to the GK connector and the GUITAR INPUT jack? There's no mix control between the two that I can see. I suppose one of them defeats the other.
V-CeeOh

Re: VG-99: GUITAR OUTPUT jack

Post by V-CeeOh »

All GK pickups have a guitar input so you can plug a small cable from the guitar out jack. So, instead of having 2 cables coming from the guitar, one for the guitar pickups signal and the other for the GK signal, you only use the GKC cable. When you do this, the VG-99 Guitar Output, outputs the "normal" guitar signal (not the one from the GK pickup) just has if you connect the cable directly to the guitar output. This way you can use the guitar with the your normal signal path, namely with your effect pedals or processors and amp.

Also, from this point you can control the mix from the 2 (Guitar and VG-99) from the GK-3 with the switch you can set at Guitar, MIX or GK.
jeremysdemo

Post by jeremysdemo »

Question has anyone ever invented a way to transmit the signal from the pick up to the synth wirelessly?

Here we go, I have a Sure wireless headset, a Sure wireless in ear monitor, an AKG wireless guitar system and I'm ready to start stage diving and running up and down the isles like Angus Young without the velvet school shorts....oh wait I got this fat long chord still coming from me over to a module across the stage.....

Any ideas will be appreciated, even if you contribute to the HOW it can be done I am a determined individual with the resources and time to make it happen!

keep shinin

jerm :)
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Well, yes , I believe it is possible to do althought it would expensive and not easy. The main thing is that you have a divided pick up (meaning each string sends it's own signal) and then you still have the controllers signal. This is why it all goes on a 13-pin cable any way. Building a GK-specific wireless system just would not be cost effective.
jeremysdemo

Post by jeremysdemo »

Roland has done it..

http://www.music123.com/product/Quick-M ... 06.product

(well they have basically made a portable version of the midi converter)

IF you use the above device with a wireless midi transmitter (they run about $100) you are in business....but if you leave the conversion up to your rack converter and only transmit the data from the pickup you would not need the $700 device OR the $100 midi transmitter/receiver package.

I don't think the pickup or 13 pin cable is sending any controller data (unless you set it up to send on a specific channel or switch programs manually...but that is not being transmitted while you are playing those are all things that can be preset in advance prior to playing notes, beside the scant pitch bend data that is sent (or rather poorly deciphered on the other end) and volume...but I digress.

The pin assignment has 1-6 being the pickups signals, what is 8? (SY.VOL) synth volume?, the rest are program change/volume/and the mixed guitar signal and can be controlled by other devices, foot pedals, midi tracks ect....
So in theory you need at the least a 7 channels of mono audio being sent and received (since you could control the rest of the functions via a midi track (program changes, volume etc etc) and then put back into the 13 pin cable from the receiver.
Line 6 makes a multichannel receiver with only 4ms delay (same as the 13 pin chord) so all one would need is a portable transmitter to handle 7 mono channels.
Also RackVax is working on a system...but nothing yet.

keep shinin

jerm :)
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

IF you use the above device with a wireless midi transmitter (they run about $100) you are in business.
I was not talking about Wireless MIDI but about sending GK pickups signals wireless. And this not the same thing. I think you see the diference between sending MIDI control data and sending the divided string audio for guitar modelling into the VG. MIDI can't do it alone so that Shadow system will not be enough.

So, yes, in theory you only need 6 wireless signals from the pickup since all the others are MIDI controllable. But do you really want to split those and the guitar end and then be forced to build a messy setup for receiving and merging the wireless signals and the MIDI controllable signals at the VG side? Not to mention that you would also need a second controller for the MIDI, probably wireless too?

Well, it's up to you but I would keep my GK cable near... :-)