STUDIOBLADE

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
pianocomsabor

STUDIOBLADE

Post by pianocomsabor »

http://www.musiccomputing.com/studioblade

I am so happy about this!! I was waiting for the Kronos, but now things just keeping getting better!!
This just shows me how fortunate I was when I decided to get rid of my Fantom-G, God Bless this new company!!
Roland R.I.P
Mystic38

Re: STUDIOBLADE

Post by Mystic38 »

why are you happy about that?..its not even an instrument.. its a prepackaged computer and expensive....

methinks if you want a computing approach then buy a computer...after all you are not paying dell to develop something special for you and none of these nekko lookalikes actually add any musical value..

to me this is equivalent to
a) a $300 pc (at $2500 its only dual core???..lol)
b) an audio interface, ($100)
c) a small monitor ($100)
d) sonar/cubase/live/your choice ($400)
e) a good controller keyboard (say a novation remote 49SL mkII at $400)

so, do it yourself at half the price..and you can still get your email :)

but if it floats your boat..good for you..
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

What he said :)
pianocomsabor

Post by pianocomsabor »

Well if studioblade is not even an instrument, then fantom-g must be a ..............
It has keys a monitor ins and outs + the user can load 10000 quality sounds, favorites plugins and the list goes on. Haha I wonder what kind of oudated shit roland will come out with at musikmesse, again R.I.P roland. I will be ordering the dual core system end of the month.

Oops did I mention that it is cheaper than the Fantom ? :-)
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Lets look at it this way..
if you already have a G and a computer..
there is no need to spend another 2.5k ...
just purchase your control surface and I/O ports and then download the plethora of free or cheap vst-plugins and software.
I already have mine running the way i want it with the computer.. so i dont need to spend yet another 2.5k
I mean.. you already had a G and then you sold it.. im sure you did not get what you bought it for so your already at a loss.
Now your going to have to make up the difference to get a
  • computer window7 <--- you already had/have
    keboard controller <--- you had(FG)
    some I/O <-- you could buy off the self
    third party plugins <--download for free or cheaply
How much extra would it have cost you to the last 2?
not 2.5k

But if it works for you.. best of luck...
when you get it..
Put together some You tube videos and show it off to us what excites you about it..
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

As Quinnx so rightly indicates the soundblade does not offer anything you do not already have....so $2500 for their one proprietary VST? good luck with that....

p.s. kinda silly to rant about Roland when you want to spend FG kinda money on 3yr old PC technology that has zero, i mean, really ZERO added value isnt it?....
pianocomsabor wrote:Well if studioblade is not even an instrument, then fantom-g must be a ..............
It has keys a monitor ins and outs + the user can load 10000 quality sounds, favorites plugins and the list goes on. Haha I wonder what kind of oudated shit roland will come out with at musikmesse, again R.I.P roland. I will be ordering the dual core system end of the month.

Oops did I mention that it is cheaper than the Fantom ? :-)
MoonDragon

Post by MoonDragon »

Yeah, I would agree with others.... you have a good workstation with many features and probably have a computer running some kind of audio and MIDI package loaded with VST plugins. I have watched many demos on this StudioBLADE and listened to the CEO Victor Wong talk on and on about his product. If I had nothing at all I would consider it, as it comes fairly complete out of the box, but as a muso I already have most of those (if not all) capabilities and far higher processing power. Also this kind of a keyboard: I would not like to take it out on the road with me.
But if you like it? I think you wasted time money and energy selling your fantom G. You would have been better off learning how to access all of its features and how come you don't have ProTools 9 already? hmmmmm, boys like toys?
the grass is always greener on the other side (for some people). Companies know this and appeal to your lust and desire to make you buy their products. Think about it before you leap.
pianocomsabor wrote:http://www.musiccomputing.com/studioblade

I am so happy about this!! I was waiting for the Kronos, but now things just keeping getting better!!
This just shows me how fortunate I was when I decided to get rid of my Fantom-G, God Bless this new company!!
Roland R.I.P
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Yeah, but what makes the difference here is the superior workstation software that comes built in the unit.. I really like this studioblade.. If I had nothing at all, and this budget, this is where I'd definitely be stepping my direction in.. Not no Roland/Yamaha/nor Korg... Lots of people who own it are loving this beast and I don't blame them.. It really is a monster that will take shape of whatever the future has to offer so it won't get outdated... simply upgrade it..

For some reason I thought this would be the case for the Fantoms.. Well at least on the software side.. But this thing, not only software, but hardware is upgradable.. As far as a workstation goes, there is nothing like this out there... Well maybe the NEKO, but this thing tramples it as well..

I try not to judge things as to what my needs are according to the instruments I have already.. I judge it by what it actually is.. And this is the logical step forward..
MoonDragon

Post by MoonDragon »

I wouldn't knock the StudioBLADE either. Obviously its an excellent design concept, but as far as i can see, it's a vehicle for driving other technologies, a refinement in work process that allows you doing everything from a single unit. This is nice, but other than that I don't see it doing anything new. And I wouldn't sell my current setup to get one.To anyone starting to build a music production studio from scratch, I would say: check it out as a serious contender.
But how is the service and back up of a porduct like this throughout the world, I am from Ireland and it's often a pain in the butt getting service (I can't afford downtime) and currently I'm living in Borneo, but I can get roland replacement parts here quickly if needed.
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

The R.I.P. Roland statement really says nothing. I mean yes, follow your bliss, but while STUDIOBLADE (is it supposed to be all caps?) promises to be the next logical step as Septimus has stated, do not think for a moment that Roland, Korg, Yamaha, and Kurzweil are just going to pack it in and go home. Kronos works with so many VSTs out of the box already if you are into that sort of thing, and the other three companies are going to be jumping at this too and, all due respect to the guys making Studioblade (there now I have balance), I would have to see how well they can provide support for this product - and yes I know that Roland are not exactly world renowned anymore for customer service - we miss you Eric!

The price point of StudioBLADE IS nice - a sort of Fairlight 2.0 for the masses, but, while the big spiel is about the AMOUNT of sounds one can have in the STUDIOblade, I have not heard much about its own SYNTHESIS engine. Can I do additive on it for instance WITHOUT a VST?

I just added a Kronos to my rig and I love it. But I am not going to believe for a second that Kronos is going to be the end all and be all of workstations. Korg are very smart to have support for third party VSTs and this is the new wave and I am glad that StUdIoBlAdE is part of it.

StudioBlade has no more of a chance of killing Roland than the Kronos. If anything, Victor Wong and company have anticipated where the big guys are going and for that I applaud them. Each company's instruments have a distinctive "sound" and I like that. It would be a sad world indeed for musicians if we DIDN'T have the options to choose what works for us.

Side note: I watched a few videos of the SBLADE and while videos are not a replacement for actually TOUCHING the instrument, the build quality on this workstation seems a little fragile. Just a very unscientific observation. As a musician who primarily gigs live, I do not want to take a laptop or a light plastic workstation to a biker bar. I want TANKS in those environments.

Regardless, I really hope Studio Blade is what you need to create stunning music!!
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

After reading Septimus' post in another thread, I returned to Music Computing's site and a lot of my objections from my last post re the StudioBlade were answered by Victor. But, here is some other interesting news: they have introduced another model called ControlBlade. It is a little brother of StudioBlade. I grilled Victor for a good hour on what this thing can do and frankly I am impressed. Yes, yes, I do know it is a computer, but, my objection to VSTs has not been about them at all. Omnisphere is an amazing VST. My issue was with the notion of gigging with a laptop - it ain't gonna happen!

At 1699, and 500 for Omnisphere, I would say this is a damned nice deal. No bloody laptops in a pub AND I can finally explore VSTs. The ONLY thing is I wish that Victor would consider SSD as opposed to HD.

Victor assured me that these instruments are sturdy with metal casing. The photos I had seen looked very plastic.

2200 dollars all totaled and you are talking 1000 USD LESS than a USED Motif XS. Nice deal and Victor is getting my order in late August gods willing.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Striker10

Post by Striker10 »

I was looking at them myself but then i came to my senses. To me the design of the neko is FAR superior. Much more sleak. I can't say anything different then what's been said and it's a little later in the day, but I personally would NEVER buy a studioblade or any of the smaller models.

The reason it, it's based on bullshit. Yes it can potentially have 180+ gig of ram...when will you ever need that amount? By the time you would, we'll be dead lol. Most people can't even justify 16 let alone the nuts figures being banded about. To me what's left is gimmicks. It might work if your doing concerts but in general? I don't think so.