Tablet recommendations for live use

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Andy Keys

Re: Tablet recommendations for live use

Post by Andy Keys »

Ah, ok, thanks.
I was wondering earlier if I could install Open Office on it so allow me to edit stuff away from home.
That and logic for mixing.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

There is no Open Office for iPad, but have a look at Pages, Numbers and Keynote for document, spreadsheet and presentation editing. They are really awesome and easy to use. Each is $9.99 but you may not need all three.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Ah, thanks again, Art.
To be fair if there is no Open Office I might as well mark notes on the PDF or use the reminders app built in and make the changes at home.

Do you know if it is possible to put Logic on an iPad? Obviously not for full on recording and editing, but maybe for mixing.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Andy, Mac and iOS apps are not compatible. There are a few nice DAWs for iOS though, take a look at GarageBand and NanoStudio.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Thanks again, Art. I managed to get on-line yesterday at my girlfriend's (her internet is whizzyfast, mine is almost dialup), so I've downloaded a few free apps to see what works for me. Looking forward to getting this set up and getting rid of the paper at gigs :)
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

Hello Andy,
let me answer to your questions here which you asked me on PM. Maybe there is some useful info for some other users to.
Regarding set list, two apps comes into my mind:
1. There is a free but very good IMHO app called Setlist Maker. Search for it from the Appstore on your iPad. It's free and you can download it. Sending PC messages is a paid upgrade to the app. It costs only 1,99$. The downside so far is, that it only sends PC without MSB and LSB. It means, for now it can't send bank change messages if you have more than 128 patches. If you have less, you are ready to go. I have contacted the app maker and he is working on implementing the MSB and LSB messages into the app.

Once you have added all your songs into a list in Setlist Maker, you can add/link to every single song a document. This can be doc or pdf and even some other file types. There is a help file and the web page for Setlist maker:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistma ... /home.html

Here you can get all info that you may need.

In short: if you have a document or a pdf file which you want to use on your iPad, you don't need to buy any additional programs for your iPad. You can create your docs/pdfs on your computer and import them to the iPad and link them to your every single song: lyrics, stuff, reminders, pictures, song text, chords and so on. When you create your setlist in Setlist Maker, you have a button which you tap and your document appears.

So, the point is not to use Pages or a PDF reader for your musical purpose, but a dedicated Set List program. Put every single song into the list and add all required infos for that song into it. Creating a setlist is then a matter of seconds. You just create a new show and select from your song list the wanted songs. They will appear in your newly created setlist.
You have a "Perform" function. When you activate it, your setlist appears in big fonts and it's easily readable on stage. Each song where you added a pdf will have an icon which you can press and your charts, and reminders will appear.
If you have purchased the program change ability, tapping a song will automatically send PC to your device(s).
In short: if you have a way to create your document on your existing computer, there is no need to purchase additional apps on the iPad. Those documents will be readable directly in the Setlist Maker. You just have to import them via iTunes.

So, for the start, you have a great free App with a more than cheap upgrade to get the program change function working, although somehow limited because it doesn't send MSB/LSB right now.

2. Another App comes from Yamaha and it's called Setlist Organizer:
http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/music- ... mode=model

Read thru the specs. It does the same job as Setlist Maker. It's not free but it costs only about 5$. Unlike Setlist Maker, it sends MSB/LSB messages right now, so you have all the required tools for sending program changes and bank changes.

In any case, both apps are capable to handle your song lists and set list. Try both and see which one you like more. 5$ is not really an investment to worry about in the case that you might not like the app.
For sending midi messages from your iPad there is more then one solution:
iRig Midi from IK Multimedia is one possible midi interface. It costs about 50 Euros and the good thing is that you can still attach the iPad to a power source for the case you would need it. They also have a microphone stand holder for about 30 Euros for the case that you need it.
Take a look at the IK Multimedia webpage for further info. All midi interfaces for the iPad cost about 50 Euros. It seems to me that the iRig Midi is the best since it can also charge the iPad while being used.

Try both and see which suits you best.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Many thanks, mojkarma. These both look great.:)