Tablet recommendations for live use

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Andy Keys

Tablet recommendations for live use

Post by Andy Keys »

Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a tablet for live use during shows and wondered if anyone already uses such a thing, and if so, can you recommend any particular model, or warn me of pitfalls?

I need something that can at least
- display PDFs of scores,
- allow me to control page turning either via USB (I have the hardware for this already) or by a sweep of the finger on the screen.
- allow me to send out SysEx and MIDI commands via USB

As it's for live use, battery life and clarity/brightness of the screen are obviously concerns.

I'm leaning towards Android as an OS. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of paying a 30% surcharge for something that has a picture of some fruit on it. And it must be compatible for file sharing with both PC and Mac.

Thanks in advance,
Andy
dboulden

Re: Tablet recommendations for live use

Post by dboulden »

I started developing an Adobe AIR based app for similar use on a tablet and can tell you that so far, Android does not support MIDI, which is a real shame! You will have to choose between Windows, Linux or iPad for MIDI capabilities.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware that Android doesn't support MIDI. My phone will play MIDI files, so I assumed it would. Cheers, though :)
dboulden

Post by dboulden »

Yes, it supports MIDI files, but not physical MIDI interfaces, which is a huge omission in my opinion, as most musos I know would rather take a cheaper Android tablet out on the road than an expensive iPad or Windows tablet.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I'm not thrilled at the prospect of paying a 30% surcharge for something that has a picture of some fruit on it
LOL!!! and it's not even a salad :-D
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

Andy Keys wrote: I'm looking into getting a tablet for live use during shows and wondered if anyone already uses such a thing, and if so, can you recommend any particular model, or warn me of pitfalls?
I use a tablet for live use and it works great. It sits on the top of my Fantom G8, I see my set list, my scores, reminders and it sends midi program changes to my keyboard, but no sysex. Pitfalls? I'll come to that later.
Andy Keys wrote:I need something that can at least
- display PDFs of scores,
- allow me to control page turning either via USB (I have the hardware for this already) or by a sweep of the finger on the screen.
- allow me to send out SysEx and MIDI commands via USB
I do everything you mention with the exception of sending sysex. And I don't need it. I just need to send midi program change commands and the app does it as soon as I tap on the song in my previously created set list.
Andy Keys wrote:As it's for live use, battery life and clarity/brightness of the screen are obviously concerns.
I'm perfectly fine with the brightness and clarity of the screen. No problems with battery life since my shows are no longer than 2 hours. But even for longer shows, power is not a problem. I could still connect it to a power source.
Andy Keys wrote:I'm leaning towards Android as an OS. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of paying a 30% surcharge for something that has a picture of some fruit on it. And it must be compatible for file sharing with both PC and Mac.
There's the problem. I'm using an iPad. I like Apple products and I own a couple of Apple computers, an iPhone and iPad. As it's now, you either don't pay 30% more (that's something we could discuss about) and buy a device which doesn't have midi connecting abilities, or you buy an iPad, a midi interface and you'll do everything you mentioned on your list with the exception of sysex AFAIK.
You won't find a midi interface cheaper than 50 $. You'll pay 500 $ for an iPad which does so much more. And if you don't belong to those people who have to own the newest, you can certainly get an iPad 1 for much cheaper and it will still do the job.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Andy, do you have a personal issue with Apple for some reason? Otherwise I am not sure why you'd want an Android over the iPad. I can give you at least three areas you should think about:

1. You will be stuck with the same OS version. Android tablet vendors rarely issue OS updates, let alone giving you the next major Android release. This is due to differences in each device and the fact that the OS is heavily modified by each vendor (you can't get Android from Google and install it just like that). On the other hand, iOS gets a major new version every year and you can easily update your iPad with new features.

2. Feature for feature, iPad actually costs less than an Android tablet. If you factor in the UI response, battery life, build quality - it's better in many ways.

3. Audio/MIDI infrastructure is very immature on Android (and MIDI is not even available as some have pointed out). As a result, look at how many major companies have iOS software - Korg, Yamaha, Roland, Moog, VirSyn, NI, IK Multimedia, Apple... Good luck finding at least 1/10th of such good software for Android. It doesn't exist.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Hey Andy.

I have an Android device but I have to agree with Artemiy on this one. I especially agree with point no. 3. It will likely take you a lot of work to get and Android device to do what is already handled on iOS devices. I owned an iPad and went back to my Galaxy Tab but I prefer the 7" tablet format for when I am out and about and want to take with something bigger than a phone. If I was to get a tablet for music alone though it would likely be an iPad.

Howard
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Ha, not really, Artemiy! It's just that here in "Rip-off Britain" Apple products seem to cost between £100-£200 more than the equivalent from other manufacturers.

That said, if the iPad is the only one capable of doing what I need then it's no longer a question. The points about Android OS, MIDI support and apps from major music companies are all excellent points.

I may yet end up going with mojkarma's suggestion of getting a secondhand iPad1. I've not decided yet, so there's still all to play for.

Thanks all for the suggestions and information. It's all very useful.

Cheers
Andy
dboulden

Post by dboulden »

There's always Windows based tablets which will run all Windows music apps. I myself have a Viewsonic ViewPad 10 that I have upgraded with parts from Tega. I now have it dual booting Windows 7 and Android 3.2 (Honeycomb). I picked it up 2nd hand for just over £200.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Andy, some do have first-gen iPads, unused, as old stock. You should check out smaller, non-Apple-special stores as well as eBay. But I personally would recommend you to go for second-gen iPad, it's a good deal faster. If price is really an issue - wait a couple month for when third-gen comes out, then buy second-gen with a discount.
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

@dboulden
I don't see the point of using Windows7, being a desktop os on a device which is intended to be controlled by touch.

@Artemiy
It's not a secret that the ipad 2 is faster, but considering what Andy want to use it for, the 1gen ipad is more than capable to do that without any problem.
dboulden

Post by dboulden »

Win7 works perfectly well on a tablet. If you want a more tablet focussed OS there is always Win8.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

mojkarma wrote:@Artemiy
It's not a secret that the ipad 2 is faster, but considering what Andy want to use it for, the 1gen ipad is more than capable to do that without any problem.
Think about the longevity of the investment - iPad 2 is more likely to run iOS 6 and 7 than iPad 1.
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

@dboulden
I'm not questioning whether win7 works on a tablet or not (BTW, is win8 already out?), but I'd say that win7 is not optimized, nor are the programs to be driven by touch. Considering what the topic starter wants, it seems to be perfectly suitable for operating systems like iOS or Android. Sweeping thru pages with the move of a finger, selecting a song with the touch of a finger and viewing reminders and at the same time sending program changes, I doubt that it can be done equally well on a system which is designed to be used with a mouse and a keyboard. Maybe I'm missing something, but the point is not does it work but how.

@Art
Yes, you're definitely right about the longevity.