Tonal Differences Between Each Studio Monitor-Normal?

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
2:43AM

Tonal Differences Between Each Studio Monitor-Normal?

Post by 2:43AM »

I got a set of Rokit RP6's, and when I do a noise test (white, pink and brown), I hear a slight difference in tonal quality between the two. I thought that perhaps it was cause by placement in my setup, but I put the two next to each other, in the same spot, and tested again. I used the same balanced input to flip-flop between the two monitors so the same source would be used. Definitely, one has a little bit more treble than the other.

Are no two monitors (given price range) ever going to be 100% exactly the same? Should I just chalk it up to that's the way it is and adjust gains (rear knobs) to match them both? Or is there something wrong? Thanks for any input...

Re: Tonal Differences Between Each Studio Monitor-Normal?

Anyone? Ideas? Thoughts?
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

Hi AM,

I've got a pair of Rokit 8s that I am happy with, but I have never tried your careful noise test. I'm somewhat surprised by your result because I would think these speakers are manufactured in relatively high volume and would be very similar in performance, too close to detect a difference without test equipment.

-Rodan

Rodan wrote: I've got a pair of Rokit 8s that I am happy with, but I have never tried your careful noise test. I'm somewhat surprised by your result because I would think these speakers are manufactured in relatively high volume and would be very similar in performance, too close to detect a difference without test equipment.
First of all, THANKS for responding! I know what you mean, but I would think the high volume would moreso equal lack of consistency and/or testing to confirm sound quality. These monitors overall have good sound, but I can definitely hear a difference in treble between the two. And I am simply using a noise generator and my ears.

At least the monitors have a high dB adjustment knob. I bumped down the "brighter" on to try to make up for the low one. I guess I lose a little on the high freq end. I am on the extended warranty from Guitar Center, so I may end up taking the "less bright" one back and see what they say for an exchange.