Yamaha MOXF series video and a question

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Iceman777

Yamaha MOXF series video and a question

Post by Iceman777 »

Hello!

I did not really follow the models of synthesizers made by Yamaha except the very old ones as a kid, but saw a video representing one of their newest models - Yamaha MOXF series. Sounded quite interesting to me and I'm wondering if it is the internal sequencer that the man in the video is using, especially at the end? I wonder if a software equivalent exists out there that would allow such performance related opportunities? Of course, there is Cubase, Ableton, ProTools, Logic and Reaper out there, but somehow it seems to me that a synthesizer that would let you play and compose entire song sounds like a good deal. Or not? This always makes me think of two out of production synthesizers that I always had an eye on. Korg Radias (the controls is what still fascinates me as the great idea) and then Korg Karma which is hard to explain as I have never played it, but from what I could read and hear, it is like no other. But, coming back to Yamaha, here is the video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwnHnB--vkM

Sometimes I just like listening to the demos... ;)

Denis
synthesizerplayer

Re: Yamaha MOXF series video and a question

Post by synthesizerplayer »

Hi

He is using the Arpeggiator towards the end of the video. Most synths these days come with this feature. The MOXF also comes with a DAW and has a built in sequencer if you want to make music on it directly

SP
howardS

Post by howardS »

Many synths come with an arpeggiator built in however many are just 1 part. The MOX series has a 4 part arpeggiator. I have the MOX6 and it is an amazing piece of gear. I had the Radias before, Iceman777, but I find that the arps on my MOX6 are much more intuitive to use. Also, Yamaha gear comes with so many arpeggiator presets for the various instruments you are trying to emulate and the various musical styles that many people seem not even bother programming them as they often can find a preset that works. The MOXF6 has 6720 arp presets. By comparison, the Roland FA-06 and 08 come with 128 presets and I believe it only has one part.

The sound card functionality on the MOXF and MOX is great as well and this makes it easy for me to bring in plugins off my laptop. 1 USB cable brings midi to my laptop and brings the sound back into my MOX6. :)

I didn't need the flash capability of the MOXF6 which is why I grabbed the MOX6.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

howardS wrote:Many synths come with an arpeggiator built in however many are just 1 part. The MOX series has a 4 part arpeggiator. I have the MOX6 and it is an amazing piece of gear. I had the Radias before, Iceman777, but I find that the arps on my MOX6 are much more intuitive to use. Also, Yamaha gear comes with so many arpeggiator presets for the various instruments you are trying to emulate and the various musical styles that many people seem not even bother programming them as they often can find a preset that works. The MOXF6 has 6720 arp presets. By comparison, the Roland FA-06 and 08 come with 128 presets and I believe it only has one part.

The sound card functionality on the MOXF and MOX are great as well and this makes it easy for me to bring in plugins off my laptop. 1 USB cable brings midi to my laptop and brings the sound back into my MOX6. :)

I didn't need the flash capability of the MOXF6 which is why I grabbed the MOX6.
Hi Howards,
How is the routing of sound when using the sound card functionality on the MOXF, for example, can you use all the internal effects of MOXF on external VST sounds?

Julio.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Hi Julio,

I have not tried it myself and, remember, I have the MOX6 which is the model before the MOXF6. I know they added some things such as sampling and some arp presets and dont think they took away anything. I do see from p3 of the MOX6 reference manual that you can apply:

System Effect
Insertion Effect x 3
Element EQ
Part EQ x 16
Master Effect
Master EQ

I just checked the MOXF6 manual and it says the same thing as my manual so all of that is available, Julio.

Howard
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Hi Howards, thanks for the explanation. It seems very atractive this use as a sound card for VST, as the DA converter on MOX is high quality.

Julio.
howardS

Post by howardS »

It is really convenient, Julio. You don't need extra hardware to use your plugins, you send 1 set of audio cables to the PA and you can control the level of the DAW with a separate level control on your MOX. It is really is well thought out.