Anyone have experience with the SPD-SX?

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
SeanMichaels

Anyone have experience with the SPD-SX?

Post by SeanMichaels »

I recently just saw that Alesis announced a brand new sample pad, the Strike MultiPad.

I'm asking about the SPD-SX because I'm torn between that pad and the new one from Alesis. I currently have an Alesis SamplePad Pro and it's a piece of junk, honestly. When I saw the new pad had announced, I immediately thought it was a rip of the SPD.

What do you guys use? It seems like both pads have very similar functionality and capability for sampling and utility with a laptop. I just want to have a reliable pad for adding additional electronics to my setup.

Comparison of the two and others:
https://drummingreview.com/best-electronic-drum-pad/

Alesis Strike MultiPad:
http://www.mixdownmag.com.au/alesis-pac ... e-multipad

Thanks in advance for your help!
FreshTrooperXBL

Re: Anyone have experience with the SPD-SX?

Post by FreshTrooperXBL »

I've only ever owned a SPD-30/Octatrack, but I've played the SPD-SX in a Sam Ash. Also have played the Yamaha DTX Multi 12 briefly at the same store. I guess I've also briefly played some of the Alesis Sample variations (but you know them better). Also have played the Nord Drum Pad 3 and 2's in Perfect Circuit.

Having owned the SPD-30 for a while before playing the SX, I thought the way the pads felt on the SX was worse. The SX pads are like right up on the machine, whereas the 30 pads are like individual entities that stick out and are connected beneath the pad. The SX pads are a bit smaller as well, being almost like mouse pads on a laptop versus drum pads.

One of my friends plays in bands professionally swears he digs the SX overall much more than the Octa (he owns both, but he's admitted the SX lags on the feel a bit.

I went to a GC like 3 days after they were in stock, but only held the box. I should have took the parts out and hooked it up, but meh.
I really want to say the new Strike Multipad is gonna be crap because Roland gear (of these SPD flavors) is indestructible. I've wacked the Roland Octa screen 60+ times and similarly side-swiped the knobs dozens of times ...it just holds up. Behringer has good-great QC now, but I reallllly wonder if Alesis is now (I've read terrible reviews about those Alesis mid-level electronic drums).