New Fantom Threat From Alesis?!!

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
ocomain

New Fantom Threat From Alesis?!!

Post by ocomain »

In an apparent accidental leak of information, Alesis has revealed details on a new keyboard line, the Fusion Workstation.

To be initially offered in two models, the Fusion Workstations offer multiple forms of synthesis (virtual analog, sample playback, FM, and physical modeling) along with 8 tracks of 24-bit audio recording. Polyphony is dependent on the synthesis types used, but Alesis reports up to 180 voices with the sample playback engine.

In addition to analog I/O, the Fusions also offer an aux analog stereo output, S/PDIF output (coax and optical), ADAT output, USB, 8 dedicated analog inputs for recording purposes, MIDI In/Out/Thru, as well as a SATA connector to add hard drive capacity as needed. CD-RW support is planned.

Alesis has created a special web site for these new keyboards, available at www.fusionsynth.com.

Michael
The_Czar

Re: New Fantom Threat From Alesis?!!

Post by The_Czar »

it will only do 8 tracks?

Smoke Club!
thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss »

The thing is bad ass. It can record those 8 channels at the same time.

Korg has put out there OASYS, which is functionally similar but costs 3Xs as much. It has 16 audio tracks, but only 4 inputs..................WTF????

Fantom-S
AW4416
Now all I need is talent.
Anyone selling any talent??
member # 55
registered 21 May 2003
Migamix

Post by Migamix »

um, its sleek, and sweet...pardon me but the looks alone got me hot.....nice layout of direction buttons next to the wheel, the buttons 'look' solid and reliable.....this is a nice 'looking' piece of kit
40-gigabyte hard disk
sample ROM
virtual-analog
FM synthesis
Physical Modeling
USB 2.0, ADAT Lightpipe, and Compact Flash
stores all sound and MIDI data in common formats that can be opened in any DAW software

its almost like all my gear dumped into 1

if the price is right and they specs stay as listed, im wanting one already....
EL Weezie

Fusion 8HD $1,999.00

Post by EL Weezie »

Posted by Migamix:

"its almost like all my gear dumped into 1

if the price is right and they specs stay as listed, im wanting one already".

Migamix, I must admit that I agree with you on this one!!! We will see once this thing comes out and I can touch/hear it up close and personal. Those 88 keys, 40 gig hard drive, 32 midi tracks, 8 tracks for whatever for $1,999.00...very appealing. Migamix...the price is right!!!!!

EL W
sambasevam

Post by sambasevam »

yup!

the specs are gud. but, i think its just me who's feeling that this board looks like a toy. if only it looked more professional, like the Triton, or the Fantom, it'd be nice.

otherwise, its a cool piece of gear. i dont think it'll pose a competition for the Fantom-X. the FX has lot of cool sounds that i doubt the Alesis would have.

how many insert FX does this have?

Sambasevam.S
thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss »

it's a sampler. The main piano is the Q up Arts Holy Grail Piano. you can load up any sound you want I'm sure. then it has analog & FM synthesis. you can make it sound like anything you want.

It looks toyish for sure but it's going to change alot.

the Fantom-X may not last any longer than the S did. Rolands 8 track V2.0 may just be a bad Omen.

Fantom-S
AW4416
Now all I need is talent.
Anyone selling any talent??
member # 55
registered 21 May 2003
btdvox

Post by btdvox »

Whats weird is that if you can record 8 tracks at one time- why isnt there any XLR inputs with Phantom Power! hahah- the piano is alright on the demo- but the thing looks bad ass- i definitly is a threat but im sure FAntom Users are just happy with fantoms just as Motif - so Alesis wants some of the Action which is cool. Id rather have the Sample Pads then the number buttons- and also i like the Lever than Wheels for modulation and Pitch- but the 4 types of synthesis is sweet- But talk is talk i want to try one out! I heard it and it sounded ok not that great but i think cuz its at NAMM.

Also why is the Harddrive needed? so we dont need Compact flash? or because we have to load our own patches?!?!
Im looking forward to this board more than the Oasys if i was to buy something else- I guess this just gives buyers another choice- Triton, Motif, Fantom, Fusion-- If you think about it there all funny names haha
swandiver

Post by swandiver »

I think, if the Alesis Fusion is even half as good soundwise and build quality as it's specs on paper, it will shake up the workstation market in a good way. I will probably be getting on just of the sound-sculpting possibilities alone, and perhaps
as my primary workstation.

It puts the Korg OASYS to shame (and rightfully so).

It puts the heat on Yamaha to allow a similar thing on the successor to the ES, rather than its current AN, DX, and VL boards which have low polphyony, no multimbrality, and can't even be edited on the host machine. In fact, I'm really hoping, and half expecting, that Yamaha realizes it's mistake in the Motif series, and goes back to what it did with the EX series, allowing multiple synthesis types *built-in* to the host workstation, with updated specs, of course, similar to the Fusion.

As for Roland, Roland must *really* be feeling the pressure now (and I hope so!) to allow *any* synthesis on its workstations besides sample ROM. That's always been in my mind the biggest *by far* drawback to the Fantom/Fantom-S/Fantom-X series: the lack of any other synthesis options. In fact, Roland is now the only major workstation producer without such an option: Korg has MOSS, Yamaha has the VL, AN, and DX plug-ins, Kurzweil has VAST, and Alesis now has the Fusion multiple synthesis engines included. I'm hoping Roland has been secretly working on something, maybe like an expansion to VARIOS) that would allow VA, FM and physical modeling all in one keyboard, which could then be combined with sample ROM if desired. I guess time will tell.

In the meantime, I can't wait for the Fusion to come out . . . ! :D
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

When listening to the Demo, I noticed the piano sounded alot like the Quadra Synth Piano. I owned a QS+Piano for 6 years. The demo sounds much like it and similarly did not seem to have any low velocity tones. Did you notice, he only played hard velocity? I hope it turns out better than the demo, but I can still get what I need from my X-7 at this point, and I only prefer 76 key units only.
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

The other thing about an Alesis product, and this is based on what happened with the ION, is who the heck knows WHEN the thing will be released, and who the heck knows HOW WELL IT WILL WORK. In other words I would not be bringing this thing on gigs without some kind of backup (that's what my XR would be for if I got a Fusion).

Great idea, but given Alesis' history of quality control, it remains to be seen how long it will be before customers will be able to buy reliable units.
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

I have no experience with Alesis products so I can't speak for or against 2TIM's statement. However, according to Alesis's own press release (on their web site) regarding the Fusion 6HD and 8HD, they are scheduled for release in Q2 (the second quarter) of this year. That could mean as early as April 1 (April Fools, hahaha), or late as June 30 (the last day of the second quarter of the year)! Alesis should have really waited for Summer NAMM. :-)

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/
btdvox

Post by btdvox »

I was amazed by pictures and specs of the Fusion,

I was non-plussed by the Demo unfortunate, which leaves me to only my ears.. But when watching Motif or Fantom demo videos whether on Rolandus, or Harmony central They have been exceptionally pretty well so this worries me.

"As for Roland, Roland must *really* be feeling the pressure now (and I hope so!) to allow *any* synthesis on its workstations besides sample ROM. That's always been in my mind the biggest *by far* drawback to the Fantom/Fantom-S/Fantom-X series: the lack of any other synthesis options. In fact, Roland is now the only major workstation producer without such an option: Korg has MOSS, Yamaha has the VL, AN, and DX plug-ins, Kurzweil has VAST, and Alesis now has the Fusion multiple synthesis engines included. I'm hoping Roland has been secretly working on something, maybe like an expansion to VARIOS) that would allow VA, FM and physical modeling all in one keyboard, which could then be combined with sample ROM if desired. I guess time will tell. "

Swandiver i have been thinking the same, But Nathan and Artemio have led me to think different- Though i hear all the time motif's plug in synthesis and Moss board are nothing like the orginials or sound good, The fantom to what i hear comparing to CD's im just beginning but its sounding really nice- im able to somewhat get a really nice Analog feel to the sounds, i know it isnt true VA but you can do analog synthesis in someways. But i guess i didnt worry to much because i didnt want to spend extra on any cards (SRX) and i wouldnt have bought PLG or the Korg Moss board. But Roland is the only one to have Extra Waves in there boards i think.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

hmmm looks good but your workspace lets it down..
(Memory 64MB installed, optional expansion to 192MB)
Only 192mb max?

thats weak!?
i would have expected at least a Gig now..?

Results not Excuses

QuinnX universal tranlator below:-
(lets not be misunderstood)

!!!!!! ephasis not anger
!!?? confusion or Stupidity
ABC are you getting the point
&*$% Anger (but rarely seen)
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

It's important to consider the presentation when watching demonstrations. The big name companies like Roland and Yamaha are very adept at putting together top notch demonstrations at the NAMM shows because they know that the presentations are being video taped and will be spread across the Internet.

Take, for example, all the Roland NAMM show demonstration videos. The performers are very well scripted and have obviously planned their presentation well in advance. They've obviously practiced their presentations well in advance. Very few pauses in the presentations and absolutely no technical glitches. All technical functions are quick and glossed over with talented performances and scripted dialog. The visual background behind each presenter is non-distracting and generally displays an advertisement (such as the product name or photo) of the product being presented..

My point is that Roland and Yamaha go to great lengths make the product demonstrations at NAMM appear highly professional and trouble-free. The demos are essentially short infomercials for the products.

Now contrast this to the Alesis and Korg presentations. The Alesis Fusion demonstration, though informative, was less than compelling. The performer, though I'm sure a talented musician, was not a talented presenter. There were numerous pauses in the presentation, and a few interface fumbles. The background behind the Alesis booth was open and, as a viewer, you are sometimes distracted by passers-by.

The Korg OASYS presentation, though a bit more planned out, was very drawn-out and self-absorbed (you get the impression they're saying "we're cool because we spared no expense and spent 10 years designing this thing," when what they should be saying is "this instrument is cool because of what it can allow you to do"). The presenter was long-winded and not well scripted. The performer was talented but didn't know when to stop. There was 1 camera angle for the entire 30 minute presentation.

The adage "don't judge a book by its cover" seems appropriate with all the NAMM presentations. Just because the Roland and Yamaha presentations seem more professionally executed than the Alesis and Korg presentations, doesn't necessarily mean that the instruments themselves are less professional.

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/