Everybody who's not buying the OASYS...

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
V-CeeOh

Everybody who's not buying the OASYS...

Post by V-CeeOh »

Just a test...
Everybody who's not buying the OASYS rise your hand.

I'm certanly not:
Over featured
Over weighted
Over expensive
Over refrigerated - side panels not totally closed (just kidding)

Still,... a beast of a machine.
BigBoi

I second that emotion

Post by BigBoi »

With the economy like it is right now I wonder why they thought this was the way to go. Nice but I've spent waaaay too much time learning my other equipment to even fathom this one.
Waynester

Re: Everybody who's not buying the OASYS...

Post by Waynester »

I`m gonna buy it, but only if i win the national lottery.. otherwise its out of my league financially

Waynester

Keyboardist in UK`s Top Tribute To Bon Jovi

www.wayneharris.co.uk

www.bongiovi.co.uk
synthguy

Post by synthguy »

Not this one, unless the price drops by half within a year. But the next Korg synth? I'M THERE BABY!! :D

I love the future
dkpcola

Post by dkpcola »

I won't get one even if I won lottery.
I am not sure what I gonna do with it. Sounds nothing that amazing. Those demos are performed by overpaid guru. They prepared months for that demo. Creating songs with just that machine? People did like that with TritonProX and no one really care of the sounds. I gonna get Steinway Grand piano instead.
dansgold

Post by dansgold »

OK ... nobody hate me for saying this ... I could write a check for 2 of them and not miss the money THAT much.

But I don't buy things that don't offer me a good value for my money OR something truly unique.

The OASYS is a great concept, and perhaps KORG will add some cool new synthesis methods as time goes by ... certainly the hardware supports the possibility of those kinds of upgrades.

But what I see so far is a bunch of "me too", and "just putting everything we already have in one box" kinds of things. That just doesn't make my check-writing finger get itchy, y'know?

As I said on the TritonHaven forum:

"The thing that bothers me about an $8k keyboard like this is that it should be a "Zero Compromise" machine, and it just isn't. It's FULL of compromises which limit its musicality."

"At this price point, is there ANY excuse for not having PolyPhonic Aftertouch? I had to laugh at the "Alaska" part of the demo so clearly lacking the depth that this would have provided."

"ONLY the "Korg Stick" ... and no Pitch/Mod wheels? Huh? The new Kontrol49 has wheels, so clearly they recognize that people like them!"

"ONLY 8 Pads? Again the Korg Kontrol series have 16, as does the Roland Fantom series ... what? for $8k I can't have another 8 freaking pads?"

"NO Breath Controller input? Do they THINK about these things?"

"I'd throw down for the 76-key version in an instant if it didn't require me to buy so many add-ons to have a complete all-in-one solution. But, by the time I finish cabling everything it needs to eliminate all of the compromises ... I might as well just have my laptop/interface/VSTs/modules."

And that about sums it up for me.
IRON MAIDEN

Post by IRON MAIDEN »

Well...I really want one. I received a letter the other day that told me I was receiving $10,000. Didn't see it coming. But...I don't have the heart to see myself lose that much money for a keyboard. So now I joined this site, tring to decide whether or not to buy a Fantom X. It is nice but I have some issues I will bring up in future threads (I guess). But yes, the next Korg I will probably purchase. I've taken an interest in the CX-3 and I think it sounds killer, but too much to buy separately .
Waynester

KORG OASYS AVAILABILITY IN THE UK

Post by Waynester »

Got this email today from KORG UK when i enquired about the OASYS availability etc
me thinks i can`t afford it !!!!!

Dear Wayne

This unit is not going to be available for 3-4 months and is going to retail around the £5,000 mark.

Regards
Customer Services Department

Waynester

www.wayneharris.co.uk

www.bongiovi.co.uk
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

"OK ... nobody hate me for saying this ... I could write a check for 2 of them and not miss the money THAT much. "

Sorry dansgold but ...I HATE YOU FOR SAYING THAT ;-)
Waynester

Post by Waynester »

Is DANSGOLD a millionaire? or just a rich kid ?

wish i had money !

bleeding skint all the time after buying my Fantom X8, Motif ES7 and Korg Extreme!

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Waynester

www.wayneharris.co.uk

www.bongiovi.co.uk
stevie

Post by stevie »

I think Dan has summed it up - these are my feelings too that this should be a no compromise board, execpt for HD1 synthesis and Karma2 - everything else is available at a much lower cost without the compromise.

Guessed about right for the UK then - will appear mid year for £5K - Virus access TI - Korg extreme/legacy collection/karma1 plus harware or software DAW - much more flexible, no compromises and completely cool.

Steve
Martin Hines

Post by Martin Hines »

The term "no compromises" is relative.

A real "no compromise" keyboard would probably cost $30,000.

Given other alternatives (other lesser keyboards, computer based music softare, etc.), many people won't want to spend this amount of money on a single keyboard.

However, I know plenty of people who own $8,000 worth' of keyboards and modules.

I applaud Korg for their efforts. Given their 40 year history of making keyboards, and even given their current "sales history" of the Triton series, they were very well aware of the impact of actually MAKING an $8,000 keyboard, and they did it anyway.
swandiver

Post by swandiver »

Martin,

It's an interesting claim you make that a "no compromise" board would cost $30,000.

The Open Labs neko allows an unlimited # of VST's or other software to be played on the Open Labs, meaning:

a. unlimited number of synthesis types, including Gigasampler-style samples, FM, additive, physical modeling, VA, granular, wavetable, etc. etc.

b. unlimited types of effects software

c. unlimited types of arpeggiators, sequencers (e.g unlimited tracks, etc), hard disk recording software, etc.

To me, this is "no compromise" and depending on the model, cost a couple to several thousand dollars less than the OASYS.

Now, compared to the neko, OASYS offers relatively smaller sample sizes (e.g less than Gigasampler), only a handful of synthesis types, and only whatever future synthesis types Korg provides, effects are limited to what Korg provides, and only 16-bit, 16-track recording, all for several thousand more dollars.

Quite frankly, and no disrespect intended, I simply am unable to understand the $8,000 price tag for a keyboard that to me seems *severely* compromised compared to alternative keyboards (or simply a computer and software package) that offer much greater synthesis and music production capabilities, and for only a fraction of the cost of OASYS.
dansgold

Post by dansgold »

Well, let's be fair and open about a few things here:

First, everyone should know that Martin is a "guru" on the TritonHaven forum. That doesn't necessarily mean that he is just shilling for KORG, but it bears mentioning.

Second, yes, "no compromises" is certainly a relative term, and it's relative in this case to 2 things:
a) Everything else available in the electronic music marketplace today.
b) KORG's (ever changing it seems) marketing message regarding the OASYS.

It's also important to make sensible comparisons in context.

On TritonHaven, I made the case that one could easily assemble a collection of saoftware/hardware which would completely spank the OASYS in any head-to-head comparison. Martin replied that it was really about "integration and ease of use", and that one could similarly assemble PC/Softsynth that would make a Triton Extreme or Studio look bad.

Let's take a look at this. Martin's "ease and integration" argument doesn't line up with KORG's "this changes everything" marketing message. Repackaging a VA, ROMpler and modeled B3 in an integrated package with audio recording hardly "changes everything", and I submit to you that using a BX3 (with a genuine waterfall keyboard no less) with actual drawbars is quite a bit easier than any reconfigured pairing of faders and displays ... especially if one is playing live and might want to trade off piano and organ riffs (or whatever).

So - right off the bat - Martin's "integration/ease" argument and KORG's "changes everything" message are both contradictory to each other and fail relative to their assertions. The OASYS is nether revoluitonary, not does it make it's instrument-set especially easier or better "integrated". This kind of thing is subject to varying tastes (of course), but I think that my reasoning here isn't too terribly flawed.

I'd like to revisit Martin's assertion regarding software/hardware packages comaprable to something like a Triton Extreme or Triton Studio. My best effort looks something like this:

Suitable Laptop ($1000 or more)
Audio Interface ($300 or more)
ROMpler software ala Sampletank or similar ($300)
Good quality MIDI Controller ($300)
DAW software of some sort ($300

Anyway you slice this, you really cant come up with a comparable package that costs less than a Trtion Extreme, so the comparison fails immediately.

Not so with the OASYS. You can easily assemble packages which are both more powerful AND cost thousands of dollars less.
synthguy

Post by synthguy »

I don' think if you spend $6000 on a nEko vs $8000 on an Oasys, you're really saying anything. Maybe all you're talking about are freeware VSTis, or hacked ones. I REALLY want to know about these "must have" VSTis because I don't know of a single one. I like Reaktor and Sonik Synth 2, and that's about it, but I'm also not saving up for them. I much prefer and intend to have some of the Arturia softmodels of vintage synths. But even they aren't irreplaceable. I can have my Moog fix with an Ion, and my CS80 with my JP8000 and Triton. Even my MOSS card is a superb six voice synth.

I totalled up what I thought it would require to replace an Oasys, and it came to $12,000 worth of gear. I won't go soft synths because I have to have a Korg sound and I have to have a Roland sound, and a Kurzweil rounds out the package nicely.

$5000 Kurzweil 2600S maxed out (approx)
$1800 Roland Fantom XR with Ultimate Keys and Complete Orchestra expansions
$2175 Karma workstation with MOSS and Vintage Collection rom
$500 Korg Wavestation (approx)
$2300 Alesis Andromeda
$600 Emu Emulator X Studio
------------------------------
$12375

Add $800 to a grand for a dedicated music PC and mix to taste.

That would outperform an Oasys, but then it should at that price.

Yeah, I could get an expanded Fantom X, a Karma with MOSS, a used Wavestation of some kind and a PC loaded up with software, but then you're still talking a few thousand dollars. I don't hear what I want to hear in the softsynth world, and if sound doesn't matter to you, just go that route.

I love the future