Edirol MA-10D monitors & AKG 1000 mic

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
Phait

Edirol MA-10D monitors & AKG 1000 mic

Post by Phait »

I tried some Edirol MA-10D's on a Roland RS-5 today, I liked them. Dealer recommended going with something bigger if I plan to play louder with more fuller, bassy and synth type sounds cause I'd eventually ruin the smaller cones.. so maybe some MA-20D's - 20 watts per?

He also recommended an AKG 1000 mic for vocals/guitar for under about $200.

Any thoughts on either of these?
Red Winger

Re: Edirol MA-10D monitors & AKG 1000 mic

Post by Red Winger »

Hey Phait,

Sounds to me like, at that price point, both the MA-10s and the AKG 1000 would be good choices for you.

If you're going to go up to the price range of the MA-20s, I'd suggest you give a listen to the M-Audio BX5s before you make up your mind. I think they're about the same as far as price goes, and I've been impressed by the whole BX line.

As to the mic, I think the M-Audio Lunas are also about about $200, so you might want to investigate those. I honestly don't know which would be better. There might be some Shures in that range as well. Personally, I'm a big fan of Blue Baby Bottles for guitars and vocals, but those are about double the price of the AKG 1000, so probably not worth the extra investment for you unless you plan on doing a lot of studio guitar/vocal work vs. on-the-road recording and/or keyboard stuff. Good luck!

Cheers,
RW
Tony Clifton

Re: Edirol MA-10D monitors & AKG 1000 mic

Post by Tony Clifton »

I recommend Audix OM5-OM7 as a great line of vocal mics especially for stage.
I got a floor model Audix OM5 for 125 from GC.
I'd love to have the Neumann hand held stage vocal mic that Nora Jones uses live also.

Peace,
Tony :D