emagic Logic Big Box

Forum for gear from other manufacturers
gtds

emagic Logic Big Box

Post by gtds »

Hi everyone

I'm currently very confused with regards to the emagic Logic Big Box package.

I don't really understand why it is cheaper that buying Logic Audio by itself and the other (and more important thing) is will it run on a PC? According to a shop I contacted, it will, however, when I read reviews it doesn't mention anywhere PC requirements.

Are there, therefore, more than one version of the Big Box offer?

Many thanks in advance

gtds
Red Winger

Re: emagic Logic Big Box

Post by Red Winger »

Hey gtds,

I can answer that for you. The Logic Big Box doesn't include Logic Platinum (the full-scale version), it includes Logic Silver (I believe...could be Gold), which is a stripped down version. If you get version 5.0 of the Logic Big Box, it will work on a PC (Emagic can give you the codes to get any version of 5.0 or less to work on either a PC or a Mac....thus, when you shift to Mac, you can get a new code for free and use the same software). If, however, you are talking about Logic Big Box version 6.0+, that will *only* work on a Mac (and yes, there is more than one version of Big Box out there).

Emagic sales confirmed with me that any version of Logic other than 6.0+ will work on either PC or Mac (you just need to contact Emagic for the proper codes). As of 6.0, the oftware only works on Macs.

Cheers,
RW
gtds

Post by gtds »

Thanks

Your answer are what I suspected but I needed to hear them from someone.

Is Logic Big Box 5 still available though?

...and when you say stripped down version, would I be missing on any crucial features?

Basically, I want to setup (as you know) a PC as a DAW and have audio recording + sequencing. 48 tracks should be enough for me, as I think, that's what the Silver version has. I also believe it comes with a few effects plug-ins and other goodies such as a sample player.

As always, thanks..

gtds
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Yes, you can still get version 5. Here's a couple of links to people selling it that you get through Yahoo Shopping:

http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/search ... g+box&did=

It's pretty hard to find through Sweetwater, GC, etc., as most of the Big Box versions you'll see there are version 6.0.

As to what's missing, I've heard a few different things about whether it's really essential stuff or not. Here's a link to comparison charts on the various version for Logic 6.0:

http://www.emagic.de/products/ls/compar ... hp?lang=EN

While this is not really the same as Logic 5.0, as 6.0 adds a number of things (such as the "Freeze" feature that aren't present in 5.0), it will give you some sense of the difference between Logic Audio 5.0 and Logic Platinum 5.0. Ron may have more specifics. You could also try checking out the forums here (they are pretty helpful):

http://community.sonikmatter.com/cgi-bi ... matebb.cgi

Frankly, based on your description, it sounds like Silver might be enough for you for the short term. However, I'm not sure how buying Silver (versus Platinum) will affect your upgrade pricing. I was told by Emagic that upgrading from Logic Platinum 5.0 PC to Mac was free and the price for upgrading from 5.0 Platinum to 6.3.1 Platinum (Mac, the latest version) was only $129.00. The hard part is finding a copy of Logic 5.0 Platinum to purchase first (there aren't many of them out there still, from what I've seen). You might want to call Emagic sales just to check out what the upgrade options are from the Silver level.

Good luck. Sounds like you and I are both going to be heading into Logic territory at the same time (I'm doing exactly the same thing you are, it sounds like). It will be good to have someone else learning at the same time to help with the dumb newbie mistakes I'm certain to make.

Cheers,
RW
gtds

Post by gtds »

RW

Thanks for your reply.

I like the sound of...

"Good luck. Sounds like you and I are both going to be heading into Logic territory at the same time (I'm doing exactly the same thing you are, it sounds like). It will be good to have someone else learning at the same time to help with the dumb newbie mistakes I'm certain to make."

I can't remember - are you a PC or Mac user?

gtds
gtds

Post by gtds »

RW

So what software/equipment do you currently have and what would you like to end up with?

gtds
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

I'm currently a PC user. I'm using an IBM T40 laptop (1.6 GHz Pentium M, 512 MB RAM), which is my work computer. I have Acid Pro, Sound Forge, and, soon, Logic. I also have a few freebie soft synths (Crystal, Triangle, etc.). Ultimately, I will likely be picking up a Mac system (perhaps G5 desktop....maybe G4 or (if they come out int time) G5 powerbook). A laptop would be convenient (for portability), but I may just go the desktop route, as I'm really mostly interested in getting the most power and capability for my money. At that point, my plan is to shift over to Logic 6+. I may stick with using Acid Pro and Sound Forge on my work laptop, or may shift over to a Mac equivalent (at least for Sound Forge....I may just start doing my looping in Logic at that point). I'm also thinking of picking up a copy of Reactor along the way.

For now, I'm importing audio into my laptop over USB (using the resampler on my Fantom-S), through sample CDs, or otherwise. For guitars and other audio (such as vocals), I'm just using the S88 sampler. I'm looking to pick up a Motu 828mkII, but may need to hold off on that for a couple of months due to a number of expenses (such as the remodeling we are doing to our house). I have an Edirol UM-1 for the midi connection, which works for now, but will shift to the 828 when I get that.

Anyway, other than some assorted guitars, mics, amps, power conditionier, etc., that's my basic project studio setup. It's a work in progress (and just at the beginning stages, at that). Part of what will come out of the remodel is a studio room (which will be acoustically insulated, much to the relief of my wife). I'm going to get some furniture made that will support the Mac, monitors, control surface, Fantom-S and other assorted toys once that's all done.

My plans (in a nutshell). Like I said, it will be good to have others here heading in the same direction.

Cheers,
RW
gtds

Post by gtds »

Sounds good.

So, initially, you'll be getting Logic for your laptop PC ...and then moving to the Mac platform?

Which version of Logic?

gtds
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Yes, that's right. I'm looking to pick up Logic 5 Platinum. I'm picking up a copy from a friend and should have it up and running shortly. That's what I'll use until I pick up the Mac.

Cheers,
RW
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Hey gtds,

If you're interested in Platinum vs. Big Box, here's an Ebay auction for a copy of Platinum:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 41786&rd=1

It's got a ways to go yet, but it's currently pretty cheap. There's another that's quite a bit more pricey and almost done:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 41786&rd=1

There may be others. I checked a week ago and there weren't any Logic 5 auctions. This week there are at least two, so they are a bit sporadic.

Cheers,
RW