Roland XP50 LCD Display Problems

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
simeonamburgey

Re: Roland XP50 LCD Display Problems

Post by simeonamburgey »

elvicman wrote:I have a simple question: Where can I get a service manual with schematics for XP50 model?? My Keyboard has a distorted sound output. I replaced the battery and the programs are all there, but it sounds ugly. Thank you
The capacitors are the problem.
On my instrument they replaced 25 of them, most had leaked.

Here is a link to the service manual for your reference.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/738 ... _NOTES.pdf

Hope that helps.

Best
Simeon
PraiseTracks.com
simeonamburgey

Post by simeonamburgey »

Here is a link to the location of the capacitors I was able to find and highlight.
Hope it helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ercwozqqlq72w ... ATIONS.pdf

Best,
Simeon
PraiseTracks.com
belzrebuth

Post by belzrebuth »

Hi all!
I used to have major noise/hiss problems from my XP 50s' outputs untill i read this thread and a friend of mine changed some capacitors in the top left corner of the mainboard.Now the noise is gone and i want to thank Cesarsound and all the other people involved in this thread.:)
There are a few more problems concerning the audio that are still existant though.I get no right channel in either R output and the stereo phones output.Should i replace all the remaining capacitors and be done with it?Are there any specific capacitors that affect the right audio channel?I have really basic electronic understanding so excuse me if i generalise things..Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again.
Maxx

Post by Maxx »

Hi,

I have just registered with this Forum because my good old XP50 recently started having serious issues.
Quite a while ago i noticed my wheel dial didnt properly Count up anymore. Turning it slowly upwards (clockwise) resulted in "jumpy" selections like every other pulse was missing. Turning it quickly even made it count backwards. However, i opened the device and cleaned the whole wheel dial using my usual kontakt 60 oxide dissolving/cleaning spray. While at it, i also replaced the cr2032 cell.

The synth worked fine at first, but after a couple of days i noticed a totally different problem: after turning it on, the lcd glowed orange, but the usual top bars followed by the appearing text were missing. It wasnt just the known lcd contrast issue since the whole synth was stuck in this state, meaning none of the key leds was lit and the "heartbeat" blinking of the stop/play button also wasn't there.
as I was kinda busy at that time i had to leave it in this state for a few minutes and when i returned it was running perfectly again for no obvious reason.

Turning it off/on showed no sign of this issue afterwards so i thouhgt it was just a coincidence.
But i was wrong :( a few days later when i turned it on the same behaviour showed up. I tried if waiting made a difference and indeed after a few minutes the top bars appeared, the leds turned on including the hearbeat indicator and the text on the display came up, too.
At this point i wondered if it might be bogus caps as many newer coonsumer devices (tft screens, dvd players) often show similar symptoms when caps in their switching power supplies become bad. but tbh, this xp50 has a rather standard transformer PSU and none of the caps looked that bad.

Googling the web i found this thread with some interesting problems/solutions and in one post i noticed people mentioning the replacement of C65 as part of the reset circuitry and without further investigation my problem indeed could be some kind of stuck reset state during boot.
I have yet to find C65 in the schematics, but i noticed all major reset inputs are negated (as commonly found in electronics).
However, measuring C65 shows that it never raises above ca. 0.5V which seems wrong since if it really feeds the !RESET inputs none of the connected chips would ever get out of reset state, would they?

Any ideas? Or can someone confirm that C65 should be more than 0.5v (AKA should be 5V) at least shortly after power on? That would at least point me in the right direction, probably starting by just replacing the 4.7uF/50V cap as a first measurement.

BTW. all other voltages from the PSU and towards the other pcbs seem to be fine according to the schematics.

Thanks in advance...
dalemmi

Post by dalemmi »

Just to finish this thread about "HELP - what can I do about my XP-50 display showing all orange without any characters!"... and "where can I find the right capacitors for ..."

Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBlEcb1rZMA and follow the instructions. This way you don't have to mess with inserting new capacitors. You can certainly do without the option of adjusting the contrast, as long as the display shows anything at all. The presented solution is easy enough - even for the less gifted craftsman - as a last resort even without a soldering iron. Good luck and keep enjoying this great instrument!

For all those who additionally want the service manual, you can download it from:
http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Rola ... _NOTES.pdf

Hope this helps,
Matthias
renzo1973

Post by renzo1973 »

seems to me to be broke r82
dirkos

Post by dirkos »

Hopefully somebody can tell me what to do.
I am experiencing the same problem as "Tesla";

After fixing the LCD screen problem the screen works but there is a horizontal bar on top of the screen.
This bar contains blocks.
The XP-50 does not respond to anything, only the horizontal bar on the screen.
(The synth is not booting)

Is there anyone (maybe Cesarsound?) who knows how to fix this?

Kind regards,

Dirk - The Netherlands
nax

Post by nax »

Try to replace all powersupply caps.
5Vdc must be correct. Example 4,6VDC not good for XP50
analogrepair

Post by analogrepair »

Hi.

Could anyone please give me a list of the capacitor values as seen on the main board.
I lost my notes after removing the capacitors and the schematic doesn't seem to be exactely as the production board. I cant seem to find any 100uF caps on the schematic for instance and i have removed 3 from the main board.

Thanks.
analogrepair

Post by analogrepair »

Looking at the pictures i took of the and and looking back to the pile of removed caps i can almost certainly say these were the original values, but i would really appreciate a confirmation.

C63; C83 - 0.1uF 50V
C84 - 47uF 6V
C82 - 10uF 16V

C3 - 100uF 6V

C5; C6; C7; C8; C9; C11 - 10uF 16V

C932; C931 - 100uF 6V
C901 - 330uF 6V

C65 - 4.7uF 50V

C86; C90; C922; C921 - 10uF 16V

C902 - 330uF 6V

C174; C175; C920 - 10uF 16V
C72; C73; C93 - 47uF 6V

C910 - 47uF 6V

This gives a total of

14 x 10uF 16V
05 x 47uF 6V
03 x 100uF 6V
02 x 330uF 6v
02 x 0.1uF 50V
01 x 4.7uF 50V

Thanks
nax

Post by nax »

I removed all el. caps(ex. expansion board).) and after testing with ESR meter:
22 caps was BAD
10 was OK.

NB! Visually was all OK.
justin_havu

Post by justin_havu »

I'm having output issues as well (Headphone out sends the left side only, Left output works, right output doesn't work, volume across all outputs is really low.) I'm tempted to recap the whole instrument, but I was wondering where to get replacement capacitors? I'd like to stay away from RadioShack because they tend to overcharge, and they don't seem to have as much inventory as they used to.
justin_havu

Post by justin_havu »

Went to Mouser.com and ordered the caps for the audio section. Should be here within the next few days or so.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

wow, this thread is a success ;) I' m back here, any question let me know.

Cesarsound.
justin_havu

Post by justin_havu »

Will do. I ordered them yesterday, so they should be here this week. From what I've read, C931 and C932 seem to be the main culprits, so should I check those first?