XV-2020 takes forever to power up

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
J100

XV-2020 takes forever to power up

Post by J100 »

Hi folks,

I'm having an issue with my XV-2020. I power it on and I just get the red light dot next to the Value knob flashing, along with the three red light straight lines next to it, also flashing. When I turn the Category/Bank knob, the straight lines change, but no number comes up and I can't do anything with the unit.

Anyway, this goes on for around 45 minutes to an hour. Eventually the unit "boots up", or whatever it does, and the numbers show, and I can run the unit. It works fine, everything works, but it just takes forever to power up like this.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I replaced the power supply recently. I had the stock power supply, but I fried it when I was in Asia because it was the wrong voltage. I replaced it with this AC/DC adapter, input 100-240VAC, 50-60Hz, DC 9V, 1A. It seems to work fine but I'm wondering if that might be what is causing the long start up.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon
J100

Re: XV-2020 takes forever to power up

Post by J100 »

Well, I figured this out. I bought the official Roland power supply, the Roland PSB-120. The XV-2020 powers up right away now. Apparently the adapter I was using, which was listed with the same specifications, didn't have quite enough power to power the unit on correctly. Which is why it took so long for the unit to start up. So, lesson learned. Use the "official" Roland power supply!