XV-3080 and XV-88 questions!!!

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
danielknox

Post by danielknox »

I have an XV-88 and LOVE it's sounds. All of them. I don't want to keep the keyboard but I want to work with the same canvas so to speak. So I was thinking about buying an XV-3080. Here are my questions:

- Do the XV-3080 and the XV-88 have all the same sounds? All of them?

- If I plan on buying a Fantom XR later, do I need to buy the XV-3080 at all? People talk about loading in patches to it, but I'm affraid it won't sound the same.

- Also, what are the major differences between the XV-3080 and the XV-5080. I know I don't want the 5050 because it only has 64 voices.

Thank you!
kcmann

Post by kcmann »

Roland has made the XV patches available for the Fantom X/S series products as a free download.

http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloa ... loadId=429

On the last page of the included pdf file is patch bank availability chart by product. This chart shows that both the XV-88 and XV-3080 have the same patch banks (i.e. banks A - F), which suggests they have the same sounds. You will also notice that sound modules such as a XV-5050 also include all the XV-88 patches plus more.

Alternatively, you could upload the patches of this download into the Fantom XR, though I believe you will only be able to access 512 patches at a time, i.e. 256 in user plus 256 in card memory. Though as you say, the patches may not sound exactly the same as on the XV-88, since they will be based on the waveforms loaded into Fantom X/S products. The only way to be sure is to compare sounds of the XV-88 against the XV patches loaded on a Fantom X/S.

Keith

Roland Fantom X8
Oleq

Re: XV-3080 and XV-88 questions!!!

Post by Oleq »

"Also, what are the major differences between the XV-3080 and the XV-5080?"
5080 has 3 MFX x 90 types,
3080 - 1 MFX x ~ 62 types.
5080 has more expandability
AND can read samples!
I wonder why am I writing it all, when you can Google the two models and get lots of specs...
mrcpro

Post by mrcpro »

A lot of XP/XV pads used waves that have no counterpart in the Fantom S/X, so you can't even get close if you're trying to recreate them. I'm thinkng specifically of patches that use the JPStrings, Fantasynth, Voice Oohs, and D50Heaven waveform sets. These are the most popular XP/XV pad waves, but there are others not covered as well.

Pianos, EPs, guitars, brass, strings... these are all better on a Fantom S/X. But if you love XP/XV pads you're going to want to keep one around. It's what I've done anyway. Check your favorite XP/XV sounds and see if any of the above waves are in them.
SL Productions

Post by SL Productions »

A little late I know. The XV-3080 and XV-88 have identical sound engines and the same sounds, no differences. In fact, I think you could do a midi dump from one to the other like between the X and XR. The sounds on the XV-3080 are superb, and if you like them, you should consider it, because you're not going to get anything like it on the X.

The 5080 also has 8 outs, which you may find intriguing, but the sample reading is a real pain! Not at all for noobs. So if you're just looking for the sounds, I'd stick with the 3080. The 5080 does have an extra sound bank with a few extra sounds, but none worth mentioning really. I have owned the XV-88, 3080, 5080, X7 X8, and XR and I would stick with all but the 5080 unless you get the extra needed pieces and really want the loading challenge. You won't be sorry with a 3080!
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Even LATER than the last post I know.

I LOVES me my XV-88. Besides the aforementioned GORGEOUS sounds, the ACTION on this baby is a dream to me. This beast STILL is relevant to any music done now and in the long past. Sure, it doesn't compare to the newest stuff in a lot of areas, but, it is a HELL of an instrument. Someone offered me 1500 USD for it. I considered it for a half second. I even briefly posted it for sale here. But, there is just "something" about this axe that says KEEP ME :)
SL Productions

Post by SL Productions »

Dang, $1500! Take it! I didn't even quite get $1200 for my fully loaded X8 in prefect cond. I'd reconsider. You could get an XV, and XR and a decent controller.