srjv80 to SRX patches

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
kunnyfx7

srjv80 to SRX patches

Post by kunnyfx7 »

Does anyone here has converted the srjv80 patches that came with the included CD in the SRX boards to Fantom X patches?

let the music be with you!!!
jsepeta

not so fast -- call to action

Post by jsepeta »

I spoke with Roland this spring, and apparently the SRJV80 patches that were converted to SRX only work in the 3080/5080/XV88, not the Fantom-S or Fantom-X series synths -- which explains why I couldn't get them to load in my Fantom X8 -- how disappointing. (other vendors like Kurzweil and Korg, maintain compatibility across models when using the same expansion sounds).

In July I picked up a JV-880 and 4 SRJV80 boards (Pop, Techno, HipHop, and House). I'm considering doing a conversion of patches from SRJV80 to SRX but would like to know which boards/sounds people are most interested in. The reason I bought the JV880 was because there's a sound I used to have in my XP30 (long sold) that I need in order to resurrect a song I wrote back in 2002 -- hey, good sounds may go in and out of fashion, but good songs are timeless!

Anyway, I realize that converting these sounds to use on my Fantom X8 will be a laborious effort, which is why I'd like to see who's interested. If i convert one sound per night, 256 sounds times 17 boards equals several years of work. Anyone want to join me on this odyssey? It would be fun to have an additional several sets of patches to use on my Fantom, and if we share the effort, we can share the fruits of this labor. It would be nice if we could use Sysex or software to automate the conversion process, but I don't have all the answers just yet.

For those of you thinking, "Hey, many SRX boards contain the very same samples used in the SRJV80 boards", that's true. but the patches in the SRX boards are different from those in the older SRJV80 boards. Roland may be the kings of recycling old technology into newer products, but usually they do some tweaking along the way.
SteveePre

Re: srjv80 to SRX patches

Post by SteveePre »

I am interested in the Techno sounds..i owned a JV1010 module with Techno and Session Card in it...though i have fantom..i still hated to get rid of that module. So what does converting these JV to SRX patches entail. I would be interested in being in on it.
SteveePre

Post by SteveePre »

I'm sure there is a program that converts from 5080 to Fantom..i think seen it somewhere...but i don't have the JV cards to convert from...
jsepeta

techno

Post by jsepeta »

well the techno is the first one i'm going to attempt. my guess is it will be laborious -- if i can get a software editor/librarian for the JV-880, (sounddiver i own should work) i can then copy the settings down and see if i can get similar settings in the fantom, using the same sample wav. of course this will mean switching to the fantom ed/lib which is not nearly as nice as sounddiver, but apple really dropped the ball.
SteveePre

Post by SteveePre »

Go here for JV/XP editors:

http://www.jvxp.com/
jsepeta

where?

Post by jsepeta »

looks like midi-to-sysex utils which are handy, but not quite what i'm looking for. need a visual representation of the values for each of the settings in a particular patch, so that i can compare them to the values available in the fantom. there are similarities but of course some differences especially in the effects section
MortenJ

Post by MortenJ »

I just loaded SRJV 80-04 patches into my SonicCell via librarian and it works no sound yes but just change the wavegroup from bank 2 to EXP.

AND IT WORKS now I have SR JV 80 sounds in SonicCell.
jkon

Post by jkon »

I did the same thing with my Juno-G .
Half of the sounds are working now (changing the wave group from SMP to EXP) but the other half of them make no sound even with this "correction".
Any advice ?
Oleq

Post by Oleq »

Are the Tones in the Patches switched ON?
Perplextor

Post by Perplextor »

Please send me some JV binary example data, so I can put it on my todo-list for XLib.

So far I've implemented the conversion routines for most fantom engines.

Be patient it might take a while but I will implement it.

plex
geppastro

I did the same thing with my Juno-G

Post by geppastro »

jkon,
please can you explain exactly how did you do it? When I try to import a SRJV 80 bank in the Roland-made Fantom-X librarian (i.e. one of the banks in midi file format from the SRX 07 included CD) nothing happens (as you should expect, since they are declared to be not compatible).
I think Juno-G librarian is not that different from the Fantom-X one. Do I understand correctly what you did achieve?
Paolo
MortenJ

Post by MortenJ »

It look like it is only SonicCell and Juno G librarian that can import SR JV 80 banks.

sadly.

all the sounds and drum kits i loaded in works.
Adje

Convert JV to JUNO-G

Post by Adje »

Hi all,

This is my procedure to convert a "SinglePatch-JV.SYX" to "SinglePatch-JUNOG.JGL"

1. Convert_JV2XV_102.exe "SinglePatch-JV.SYX" -> resulting: "SinglePatch-XV.SYX"

2. Convert_XV2FX_102.exe "SinglePatch-XV.SYX" -> resulting: "SinglePatch-FX.SYX"

3. SYX2MID.exe "SinglePatch-FX.SYX" -> resulting: "SinglePatch-FX.MID"

4. Fantom-X Librarian import SMF "SinglePatch-FX.MID" -> save as resulting: "SinglePatch-FX.FXL"

5. JUNO-G_Fantom_LibraryConverter_1001.exe "SinglePatch-FX.FXL" -> resulting: "SinglePatch-FX.JGL"

Good luck.
geppastro

Convert JV to JUNO-G

Post by geppastro »

Adje,
many thanks but ... what are Convert_JV2XV_102.exe and Convert_XV2FX_102.exe.? I've tried Google, but with no luck....Thanks again anyway!
Paolo