srjv80 to SRX patches

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
rogerp1

Re: srjv80 to SRX patches

Post by rogerp1 »

Alower,

see attached fxl files

When I open the librarian and click import smf, a dialogue box opens and says is it ok to overwrite the Main window. I click yes and then in the main window it shows all the patches starting with Prologue for SRJV04PA

You should be able to unzip these and open them in the librarian.

If you cant do this It looks like some sort of difference between our versions of librarian
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

I have the srx 07 as Expansions B.

Just rechecked, and it seems to work.
It's just tiring to readjust each waveform in each patch manually.
rogerp1

Post by rogerp1 »

Yes it is a manual process unfortunately

I'll post the other fxl files for SRX07 when I get chance.
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

thanks, roger
rogerp1

Post by rogerp1 »

Here is the fxl for the SRX07

It contains 768 patches and 8 Rhythm Sets

Havent tried the rhythm sets yet so I dont know if they work.

Open in Librarian, double click the patch to send it to the Fantom.
Click Patch edit and then scroll down to Wave and change the wavw group from SMPL to SRX (choose the bank that the SRX07 board is in A,B,C or D)

Try the patch out and if you like it Save it.

Best done on a cold and rainy evening when you have nothing better to do as it is a bit of a pain editing the patches one by one.

I will post the SRX08 one soon as well
rogerp1

Post by rogerp1 »

Here is the one for SRX08 Platinum tracks. It contains 768 patches and 16 rhythm sets
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

After trying more of the old stuff I begin to ask myself:

Could it be that some, and not even few, of the old JV patches are programmed more skillfully than many newer ones on the SRX board(s) and make better use of the wave material?
Gertje

Post by Gertje »

I had the same impression. The old SR-JV80-08 (60s/70s) has more variation in Mellotrons, and I found some synth bass patches on SR-JV80-04 (Vintage) sometimes more fatty/meaty.
rogerp1

Post by rogerp1 »

I have taken about 15 great tron patches off SRX07

The board itself only has a few tron patches so this is a great resource as they are hard to find.

I am saving up for the orchestra SRX in an attempt for some good cello patches. I will try out the SRJV patches for it when I get it
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

I can add to the list:

In general (exceptions stand for the rule) I found for the SRX-07, that the JV patches have

- *far* better analog lead patches
- significantly better analog synth basses (as mentioned by gertje)
- some more fine warm pads
The srx board and internal sounds have more of the kind I call "gimmick" patches (hardly useable, but showing some effect to give you the impression they are special)
- better progarmmed Wurlys
- plus some more other stuff which simply sounds programmed with more skill than the SRXboard and many internal sounds. Fascinating...

Until now the organ patches keep silent, no matter what I do. Is this related to some JV effect section (rotary?) which has changed since then or have you found a trick to get them working?
rogerp1

Post by rogerp1 »

I had some organs that didnt sound but I got quite a few (British B3, the procal harem one, the animals one and a few more) cant remember the real patch names!
alower

Thanks so much Roger!

Post by alower »

Roger, if not for you I probably would never gain access to the SRJV patches out of my SRX-07. I cannot thank you enough!

For the record (as it could be related to someone else's experiences) I found that every time I tried to switch from sample to card in the wave bank, the system somehow "defaulted" to a certain internal wave and simply erased the information regarding the proper wave address in the expansion card. I solved this by swapping the position of my exp cards: Now I have SRX-07 in position A and SRX-11 in position B. However I never found out why the conversion from SRX to SRJV does not work when I do it using my own SRX-07 and Fantom Librarian software. As I wrote, if not for Roger I'd never get my old patches back.

As for the comparison between SRX and SRJV patches, I suspect it is universally acknowledged that Roland actually goofed it up, for the SRJV patches are vastly superior to those on the SRX cards, especially in a live setting.

Now if only I could get my hands on a XP-30, I could retrieve the user patches I programmed in it (presently existing only in a MIDI Bulk Dump File) and have a blast! The Hammond I programmed using SR-JV-08 waves for covering Jon Lord's Whitesnake tone remains unsurpassed, and I am kicking myself for not having recorded the user settings before selling my XP-30...
MortenJ

Post by MortenJ »

To JimKnopf even all organs works some them use MFX as ouput has to change to L-R in output to make it sound.
rogerp1

Post by rogerp1 »

Glad to be of some help!

Usually it is other people helping me out on this forum so it is a bit of payback. I have also discovered some great patches myself whilst going through this process and if you hadn't had the problem I probably never would have got them!
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

Yes, got the organs working as well.

Thnaks morten and all of you: some good old JV patches have been added to my user bank...