XP - 50 w/ organ hardware

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Maafen

XP - 50 w/ organ hardware

Post by Maafen »

Hey.

I just borrowed the XP - 50 from a friend of mine and discovered that he had bought extra organ hardware and installed it on the synth. I really liked these organs, but now he has taken the keyboard for him self again. I want to get some sort of sound module or similar with these organs. I have thought about buying a rack synth and install the organs on it, but I have no idea what the card is named. Am I able to buy any of the synths in the XP series, and install the same organs? I am only going to use the organs anyway though, so is it really necessary for me to buy the entire synth + hardware? Any ideas?
V-CeeOh

Re: XP - 50 w/ organ hardware

Post by V-CeeOh »

When you talk about "extra organ hardware" I think you mean the optional sound cards. The XP-50 (along with the XP-60/80 and JV series keyboards and sound modules) uses the SR-JV80 sound expansion cards. I can't tell you exactly what card has organ sounds. Do a liitle search about it. If you want those exact sounds you need any SR-JV80 compatible keyboard/sound module like those I mentioned before.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I think it's about the "Keyboards of the 60's and 70's" card in the first place (from the SR-JV80 series). Other solutions could be the Pop, Vintage synth and Session, but in case you need the best organd sounds available for the XP series, you should go for "Keyboards of the 60's and 70's".
Maafen

Post by Maafen »

Am I somehow able to download the samples ("Keyboards of the 60's and 70's" or simular) and run them through software like Logic? As i mentioned before, I think it is a little waste of money to buy an entire synth just for the organs, who I must buy separately as well...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

You could get a JV-1010 module and the same organs SR-JV-80 card. I think this will cost you under $400. However, you should also look at VK-8M.
Maafen

Post by Maafen »

Thanks, that really helped a lot. Just for curiosity, are there any rack modules who can run the SR-JV-80 (Keyboards of the 60's and 70's)? I couldn't help notice that the JV-1010 didn't fit in a rack...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

JV-1080, JV-2080, XV-3080, XV-5080.
Maafen

Post by Maafen »

Thank you!
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Maafen: "Am I somehow able to download the samples ("Keyboards of the 60's and 70's" or simular) and run them through software like Logic?"
Aaaa.... I guess not :D Those cards are meant to be used with hardware synths, keyboard or module. If you want organ sounds via software, you should try B3 or B4 (VST Instruments).
howardS

Post by howardS »

G-Man, my understanding is that B4 has been discontinued. I actually prefer the sound of VB3 although I think Maafen was looking for samples, not a software synth.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

howardS: "my understanding is that B4 has been discontinued".
Maybe... I don't know anything about that since I don't use software synths (or if I do, I do it rarely). As about samples, I guess they are difficult to find. I think it's either with a module, either with software synths.
Maafen

Post by Maafen »

I haven't really decided what to do yet. I took a look at the VK-8M. It sounds great, and I think it has a lot of more opportunities than a module.. Though, how does the BV3 sound?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

You mean the B3 organ-software synth? Well... it sounds nice I guess... I had it for some time but like I said I don't really use VST too often so I can't say too much about it. Anyway before buying a hardware I think it worths trying a little the B3. If you are satisfied, than you will only have to pay for your friend's dose of beer -)) if not, than you can go ahead and purchase either the VK-8M or a module with the card containing organ sounds.
Maafen

Post by Maafen »

I have already tried B3 a lot, so I think I have decided to go with the VK-8M. How about the keyboard then? I need some sort of MIDI synth, and there is no need for a lot of faders and knobs and other MIDI functionalities for the VK-8M.. Is it?